UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hello Minimate Multiverse,

My friend and I made a small 10 minute documentary on me and my minimate collection. I figured you guys would be interested in it and maybe even give us some feedback. We want to expand this to a full feature so all the help is appreciated. This short is about me hope you guys love it. smile.png

https://vimeo.com/58414449

Wow, that actually brought a tear to my eye. I know it wasn't really all that dramatic but it made me shed a tear. The video quality was great it was better than I expected and it deffo needs to be expanded.

Hey Sec, by expand do you mean you want members to contribute and talk about Minimates too?

Edited by MiniMage

Great stuff, Sec. Really well shot, nicely paced, and a good through-line to keep me engaged.

If you were going to expand, redo, or otherwise revisit this short, I would consider the following:

1- Change that font. The rest of your presentation was so professional that the goofy, cartoony lettering stood out like a sore thumb. Try something that evokes the same mood (I'm assuming playful and fun) that's not an outlined font like the one you're using.

2- If you go ahead with a feature, which would be interesting, try loosening up and having some more fun on camera. Believe you me, I know it's easier said than done, but when you're talking about a passion you should sound... well, passionate. You had this spark at the very beginning as you found that Gold Spider-Man on ebay that was fantastic; keep that moment in mind if you go shoot more. As a tip, put pressure on whoever was behind the camera to keep his (or her) energy as high as yours if not higher. YOu'll feed off of it and it'll make you pop on screen some more.

3- Also if you revisit to make it longer, I'd add more of a history lesson in there. Where did minimates come from? What was the first one? How long have they been produced? How many Marvel figures are there? Also, what's the most exciting moment for you as a minimate collector? Is it when figures are announced? When you have them in your hand? Or is it somewhere inbetween?

Seriously fantastic stuff though. I hope you make more.

Dude, your movie is bomb, I'm a professional filmmaker and that was top quality. Well shot and edited. I can't wait to complete my marvel collection man, I've got a long way to go before getting the gold and silver spideys though. But you're right, it's a journey. And that last part, where you're like "what are you doing?" but so happy at the same time, that's every day for me, man...

I was smiling from ear to ear throughout that movie.....my hat is off to you. Superb. I felt a couple of digs in my ribs with a couple of your comments tongue.png but that's what makes it extra special . Tremendous,it deserves to be featured at a convention because it just about sums up what we do & why we do it.

Will Part 2 feature the opening of 'Goldies' baggie ? no.gif

Great, great little movie here, Matt! Love the idea and the pictures are just great. I had to laugh once or twice - especially when you mentioned some of the other collectors being much older than you, "about 30 year old men". Classic! (Compare the demographic... and BHM. I guess those 30 year olds are still "young" here. wink.png)

I especially loved the shots where your minimates were all lined up. Great one!

I think what funkguerilla mentioned are some good points nonetheless to make your project even better than it already is. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way complaining (that's what we always say in Germany), just give you some hopefully constructive thoughts.

• It would be great if the font and your title screen (Spidey and the obession part) would somehow be on the same level as the brilliant rest of that short. That part looks nice and homemade, the rest looks very professional.
  • The "What are Minimates?" sequence could be a litte more vivid and active. I like that you have Wolvie on the left and the facts on the right, but it's pretty static in my eyes. Maybe present a Minimate in your hands with a close up on the left, show a ruler for the 2" reference, play with him when you mention the 14 points of articulation, change parts when you talk about changing parts. Something like this could help.
  • I would also suggest to show pics of your real Minimates instead of production photos when you mention the different licenses. Your 'mates as part of your collection look way better than those promo shots. And if you don't own this or that license, mention the ones as examples you do pown (I saw you have quite a few.)

Other than that, the whole Gold Spidey (congrats by the way!) "plot" works fantastic and the opening shot, when you're sitting in front of your pc and talking about the offer just came up is just perfect! Really!!! Although love the ending and your final thoughts an buying that little bugger off of ebay.

Great job and THANKS for sharing!

(PS: One other thing - and I don't want a debate about political correctness and I don't want to boss you around. You say the way TRU handels their exclusives is "retarded" in sense of "counterproductive". I'm not a native speaker and my point is, can you say something like this without beeing highly offensive in a very not-cool-way? I just don't know if it's something ordinary to you guys and you actually use it as a common synonym to "stupid" or "silly" in everyday speech, but using it's German translation in the same context would be pretty fraked up; especially when you not just saying it to a friend, but putting it in a otherwise very professional public video. If this is in some way similar in English, I would cut it out. AGAIN: I'm just curious, I'm not a native speaker, I don't want to discuss PC, it just came to my attention and I felt the need to mention it.)

Edited by Bob Harris

First off, a serious congrats on finding your grail and completing your collection. That was a great way to end it. To see someone find that one missing piece.

Secondly, that was a really fun watch. I had about five minutes to spare but started watching the video and continued the whole way through. I can definitely relate to plenty in there. Thanks for a very entertaining view into your experience with the hobby.

Very cool video. I always enjoy hearing how people got hooked on Minimates. Thanks for plugging the Multiverse and I am sincerely happy you enjoy it here.

Wow thanks a lot guys! It means a lot to me that you guys commented and gave me great feedback. It's a rough cut so I will incorporate some of your suggestions. I didn't mean to hurt anyone with the "30 year old" comment lol especially since I'm getting older and I'm gonna be one of those guys in time, but I really respect you guys especially since some of you have helped me a long the way. Bob Harris you're totally right about the "retarded" comment, I didn't realize it when we edited it but yes it does leave a bad taste in my mouth now watching it, editing will fix that problem.

On the expansion note I was thinking about interviewing other collectors, especially the Heavy hitters. I would ideally want to possibly head to the DST headquarters and document the minimate creating process, the workers, how they market, etc. I'm just a piece of the puzzle and thats why I want to make it a feature.

I really appreciate it guys THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

cool video man. did you show all your shelves of minimates? I could watch video of minimate collections and displays all day. Maybe mention something about Disney, talk about Heavy hitters.

and give Art Asylum more props

I would also like to head to the DST headquarters and document the minimate creating process.

I was so pumped that you won the Gold Spidey. Which means the movie must have been a good one, because you had me emotionally hooked, rooting for you to score Spidey. Of course, it helps that we've been there ourselves at one level or another.

Didn''t mean to offend Hellpop I'm sorry, but I'm glad you liked it. Overall, would you guys be interested in another installment?

LOL man, I'm the same age as you, so I feel you on the old fogies around here. (kidding)

Good job representing the young generation.

Didn't mean to offend Hellpop I'm sorry, but I'm glad you liked it. Overall, would you guys be interested in another installment?

The 30-year-old-thing was just really funny - in my eyes -, since about have of the (active) members here are beyond that age. The 30 year olds seem to be part of the "younger generation", as kaipo puts it. Being 35, I'm somewhere in the middle. So again, it was just funny and I don't think anybody was really offened. (Not even hellpop.)

Anyway: Are we interested in another installment? Hell yeah!

Because Fireball Island rocks. As does Gold Spidey, so those are dollars well spent.

Didn''t mean to offend Hellpop I'm sorry, but I'm glad you liked it. Overall, would you guys be interested in another installment?

LOL man, I'm the same age as you, so I feel you on the old fogies around here.

No one better be feeling the old fogies! -- At least not without permission first.

You guys are too much lol. But yes, I'm planning on expanding it with new material. I'm thinking of a direction it can go in and also thinking about what exactly we want to shoot and what you guys might possibly want to see. I'm still in college finishing my thesis now and this was a side project we did for fun, so when the summer arrives we will be going full throttle on this mini doc