new wolverine thru the age set

Dave

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And if you guys don't like us making up new suits for A-listers, then you're going to hate two figures we have coming up where we do exactly that.

Or, you will love it, because they are both awesome.

Hmmm...I'll take it on faith that you guys have something cool planned, but 'toy line specific' costumes walk a very fine line and I have to say the thought of that affecting Minimates makes me nervous. Anybody that ever walked into a Kay-Bee Toys during the '90s when Toybiz was making Spider-Man toys will know exactly what I mean.

Youbastards, this is exactly how I feel. I've been a figure collector since the early 90s, and I've bailed on every line once they hit this stage. Part of the reason Minimates became my favorite line was that they were "better" than that. If it's some kind of promotional deal that can be ignored, like a Santa Spidey, I have no problem with that. If "made for toy" costumes start filtering into the main lines, well....

I won't say anything more until we have something concrete, but I'm worried.

Edited by bigvis497

And if you guys don't like us making up new suits for A-listers, then you're going to hate two figures we have coming up where we do exactly that.

Or, you will love it, because they are both awesome.

Hmmm...I'll take it on faith that you guys have something cool planned, but 'toy line specific' costumes walk a very fine line and I have to say the thought of that affecting Minimates makes me nervous. Anybody that ever walked into a Kay-Bee Toys during the '90s when Toybiz was making Spider-Man toys will know exactly what I mean.

Yes, the return of Adventure Hero Spiderman (Fishing, Beach and Safari just to name a few). Maybe we can get a Fractal Armor Iron Man or Slalom Racer Captain America.

I see these as wacky complements to the comic-accurate stuff we usually get, and nothing to get too worried about. DST is gonna have to find ways of releasing more Wolvies and Spideys. And it's either this, find a more obscure, probably less interesting looking variant we haven't seen, or re-release an existing outfit for the umpteenth time.

Of course, it would be nice if Wolvie did get a quality, comic accurate brown suit version at some point. . .but I think nearly everything else has been covered pretty well in that department.

Edited by karamazov80

I think these are fine, and from the sounds of things, they arent gonna be taking slots for normal waves so I say more power to them

Also, even if the space suit isnt ENTIRELY accurate, it looks pretty close to a lot of space suits that have appeared in X-men comics, and even if its not, space suits for x-men are actually pretty useful, seeing as a lot of their foes/friends (Shi'ar, Brood, Starjammers) operate from space

Not feeling this set. I'll pick it up if I find it on sale.

Yeah I'm going to pass too. For some reason, and this is completely ridiculous, I feel really disappointed that this is the SDCC exclusive set. This to me could have been a mainstream set. The SDCC sets are where we get the "Oh @*& can't believe that they made them!" and this is one where I would have expected to see that on the shelves. Regardless, I am not a big Wolverine fan anyway so that could also be the annoyance factor. So far I haven't seen a four pack set this year that I have been excited about but then again last year I got Alpha Flight and the heralds.

Regarding the space suit, I'm just wondering which came first; the Toy Biz figure or the comic book appearance. I know artists will sometimes include toy designs to authenticate them or simply add them out of nostalgia. Either way I'm happier with designs that stay true to the source material over made-up costumes created to extend the line. (I'll take Weapon X Logan over Zebra Assault Wolvie any day.)

That said, I've never been more impressed with in-house costume designs than with Art Asylum's Batman variants. While I'd sooner have had costumes based on different comic book eras, the C3 line managed to whip out some cool looks for the Caped Crusader.

I'll admit, though, that every Wolverine we get in a different X-uniform seems to represent a version of the team that remains unfinished. If you're just collecting Logan figures, that's not a problem. If you're a die-hard X-Men completist, it's gotta be frustrating.

I thought the space suit Wolverine was based on the old Toy Biz Space Suit Wolverine figure which I thought was based on the 90's X-Men cartoon version of Wolverine in a space suit.

I'm looking forward to it. Anyone who may be disappointed - throw Ben Grimm's head on it and call it a day... Just sayin' :)

I thought the space suit Wolverine was based on the old Toy Biz Space Suit Wolverine figure which I thought was based on the 90's X-Men cartoon version of Wolverine in a space suit.

I'm looking forward to it. Anyone who may be disappointed - throw Ben Grimm's head on it and call it a day... Just sayin' smile.png

I thought that too and dug out the DVDs today, They're both completely different (Toon suits are full covering suits and such) I think for me, the idea that the Toy Biz version came from the cartoon is because the card mentioned the Phoenix saga which was on the air around the same time

I don't hate the box set at all Zach, I just was hoping for something mind-blowing for SDCC, it was just getting hopes up for something when we had seen the exclusive months ago, that's all.

I still want my Noir Spider-Man. So the alternate looks are still viable when useful.

I think that Wolverine space suit Andy Kubert was trying to draw was a recurring X-Men space suit, and it appears in other issues. I think that is the suit we made, just some other artist's interpretation of it. And I'm pretty sure the comic art existed first, and was immediately tapped for the toy line.

And the two figures I mentioned are not based on existing toy designs, although I guess both are technically armors. They do not represent some paradigm shift, just us trying to make best use of existing tooling to make something cool. I cannot see anyone having an issue with either one.

Edited by DSTZach

I think that Wolverine space suit Andy Kubert was trying to draw was a recurring X-Men space suit, and it appears in other issues. I think that is the suit we made, just some other artist's interpretation of it. And I'm pretty sure the comic art existed first, and was immediately tapped for the toy line.

And the two figures I mentioned are not based on existing toy designs, although I guess both are technically armors. They do not represent some paradigm shift, just us trying to make best use of existing tooling to make something cool. I cannot see anyone having an issue with either one.

paradigm shift?!?! Final fantasy XIII minimates confirmed!

So, a re-paint of the Hulkbuster armor?

Hmm. . ."technically armors" you say, reusing existing tooling. I'm going with Spidey and Wolvie S.T.R.I.P.E. bots.

I don't hate the box set at all Zach, I just was hoping for something mind-blowing for SDCC, it was just getting hopes up for something when we had seen the exclusive months ago, that's all.

I still want my Noir Spider-Man. So the alternate looks are still viable when useful.

High 5.

Hmm. . ."technically armors" you say, reusing existing tooling. I'm going with Spidey and Wolvie S.T.R.I.P.E. bots.

I don't know... it seems weird that DST would out of the blue do Hasbro-style made-up character designs, no matter how cool they might be. Zach's usually pretty cagey about saying something is awesome and we will love it, especially if it's out of left field like that.

Maybe we're talking about a SHIELD or Hydra (or SHIELD vs Hydra!) boxset with a couple of army builder troops that have some kind of "assault mech armor" pieces or something. That could potentially be not exactly canon or based on existing designs, and not elicit an outcry from fans. It would meet the criterion of "using existing tooling to do make something cool." ABC is launching the SHIELD show, so it could have a media tie-in. And if the guesses about wave 54 being Cap/spy/SHIELD-themed are true, you could put in a classic Nick Fury and/or Baron Strucker and make it tie in to that, and be totally awesome.

Hmm...