UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

new wolverine thru the age set

Dave

I don't want to see shorter body types used unless it's absolutely necessary. Franklin Richards, maybe. Wolverine, no.

ditto. Puck, yes, Ant Man, yes, Franklin, yes, Wolverine, no.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two cents!

I think it's more about proportions with some characters.

Kids, sure, they could use the shorter bodies.

Ant-Man is more a question of overall scale. I'd be fine with a Tinker Bell-type accessory for him and Wasp. I don't think the shorter arms and legs would look right on him.

Wolverine was always meant to be a short, stocky guy but he might only need shorter legs. I've seen artists exaggerate the size of his forearms to justify those claws.

As a dwarf, Puck could probably be done with the shorter arms and legs.

I have two cents!

I think it's more about proportions with some characters.

Kids, sure, they could use the shorter bodies.

Ant-Man is more a question of overall scale. I'd be fine with a Tinker Bell-type accessory for him and Wasp. I don't think the shorter arms and legs would look right on him.

Wolverine was always meant to be a short, stocky guy but he might only need shorter legs. I've seen artists exaggerate the size of his forearms to justify those claws.

As a dwarf, Puck could probably be done with the shorter arms and legs.

my main argument for regular size wolverine is that we have 40+ wolverine figures... to change it now kinda ruins the other figures. kinda like what they did with hulk by bulking him up. now pretty much all the past hulks dont look right next to the new bulky ones.

However, i think everyone agrees that the bulky hulk looks great so it was worth it, but to make wolverine shorter now... especially after releasing four brand new wolverines... (five if you include marvel now in TRU 16), would be a little awkward imo.

Is Wolverine still "short" in the comics anyway? I'm not an avid reader these days, but it seems like artists interpret him as average height more often than short.

(cover of Wolverine and NFJr)

How tall is Wolverine compared to an average woman?

I know comic book women tend to be taller then normal women because: comics. But comic book men also tend to be around 6ft. 2”- 6ft.4” and beefy as hell because: also comics.

the point I’m getting at is.. if Wolverine gets a shorter body because he’s shorter then ‘average comic book man size’, wouldn’t every woman ALSO need that body since they’re not as big as Captain America? (and probably Spider-man depending on the artist too)

I think the biggest issue I have with "regular" Wolverine is that he always has a belt which makes him taller than many other characters (like Iron Man or Colossus-below) who should overshadow him. Shorter legs, IMO, would at least off set the belt if not make him slightly shorter.

X-MenGroup2.jpg

Edited by Onyx_6

he doesnt have a belt in that shot, if anything it's the mask making him look taller. Also nightcrawler shouldn't be as tall as colossus, but what can ya do

Wolverine is a shorter guy, however this is comics and a certain level of artistic license just needs to be accepted. A Dave Cockrum Wolverine will look different than a Humberto Ramos Wolverine. A Sam Keith Wolverine will look different than a Jim Lee Wolverine. So just because He looks like a troll when drawn by artist A and looks like an average-sized man by artist B it doesn't mean you can point to one or the other as gospel. His official height is 5'3".

I don't ever want to see Wolverine use a different sized body just because he's a few inches shorter than the average guy. KEEP MINIMATES SIMPLE. Fussing over a difference of a few inches is just over-complicating things. Part of the appeal of this line is the uniformity of the scale. My opinion is that only in extreme circumstances should the aesthetic be changed. I don't believe we've ever seen children in the Marvel line yet, I do think an exception needs to be made if we ever see something like Power Pack. As MisterPL said, it's about proportion more than actual height. I'm ok with shorter "adult" characters using slipper feet. But kids need to look like kids and not small adults. That's the only time I want to see the Peter Pan parts used in the Marvel line. YMMV.

Wolverine is a shorter guy, however this is comics and a certain level of artistic license just needs to be accepted. A Dave Cockrum Wolverine will look different than a Humberto Ramos Wolverine. A Sam Keith Wolverine will look different than a Jim Lee Wolverine. So just because He looks like a troll when drawn by artist A and looks like an average-sized man by artist B it doesn't mean you can point to one or the other as gospel. His official height is 5'3".

I don't ever want to see Wolverine use a different sized body just because he's a few inches shorter than the average guy. KEEP MINIMATES SIMPLE. Fussing over a difference of a few inches is just over-complicating things. Part of the appeal of this line is the uniformity of the scale. My opinion is that only in extreme circumstances should the aesthetic be changed. I don't believe we've ever seen children in the Marvel line yet, I do think an exception needs to be made if we ever see something like Power Pack. As MisterPL said, it's about proportion more than actual height. I'm ok with shorter "adult" characters using slipper feet. But kids need to look like kids and not small adults. That's the only time I want to see the Peter Pan parts used in the Marvel line. YMMV.

i agree 100% with this. I like the universal 2" scale and after 50 waves its proven to work. only kids should use the short bodies, the peter pan minimates are of kids after all.

We should give females breasts too...

I was thinking that after 10 years a "female" torso might not be a bad idea. With all the special torso blocks (and other sculpted pieces) we have gotten in the Walking Dead line, surly a chest block sculpted with a feminine figure wouldn't be too hard. Give the sides a slight inward bow like all the female mate tampos try to show and give the block a bust.

I may have to ask DST. ;)

(Oh boy. Now we're really getting off topic.)

I've often wondered what AA's female Minimate buck might look like. Altering the torso is as far as I would go.

My biggest concern is that, in trying to appease a major licensor like Disney, DST will develop an entirely new female buck that deviates almost entirely from the Minimates aesthetic resulting in something like this:

LEGO-Friends-Figures-Dolls-Minifigures-C

And while I understand the temptation to do this to secure potentially lucrative licenses like Tinker Bell or Disney Princess, I have no desire to start over or mix entirely new Minimates with the original 2" versions. Subtle changes are fine and we've already been through them but a complete overhaul would no longer represent the established Minimates brand, in my opinion.

Yeah, a slightly hour-glass shaped torso could work, but adding a physical chest would be a tampo alignment nightmare, not to mention eventually resulting in TM2 creating a whole bunch of inappropriate customs I'd rather not see. laugh.png

I am so against this that my body hurts. A change of that nature to make curves for a female goes against the established Minimate brand. It would be one thing if they did what Lego did which was create a separate brand but I wouldn't want them to inflict the new form into the existing brand. But, that being said, they sadly need to do something to get out of Lego's shadow which is picking up some serious steam and Marvel support.

As to the shifting height debate, Maybe it's because my spouse only lets me have 20 displayed at a time (whipped) that it doesn't bother me to do a size change for Wolverine or at least the option. If he is displayed on my shelves he is always crouching anyway. I wish I could just have a Wolvie that would fit on the Throwing Hand piece.

Overall, the 2 inch rule I feel limits the brand. I would do the short arms/legs for kids, standard size for Adults, and then 3 inches for Robots. I took a quick photo to show what I mean. And don't get me started on how sad I am to not have a Giant Giantman, Galactus, Watcher, or Sentinel.

33a9e4b2-0893-47a4-829c-81b7396ceb37_zps

After seeing that comparison shot of the Peter Pan kid and Cyclops...I think Wolverine would be ok using the kid body and I think there needs to be an even smaller kid body. There's not a whole lot of difference between that "kid" and Cyclops.

p.s. The women Minimates are fine the way they are, haha.

The whole argument of we have 40+ Wolverines already so why change them now is silly. It's like, we have the tools to bulk up Rhino but we won't redo him because then you can't display the old one...I display some old Hulks, they just hide behind the new ones. I'm tired of displaying every Wolverine crouching, we have new pieces now, so we should utilize them.

My biggest problem with the kid body is the loss of articulation. I love that AA didn't sacrifice any poseability when they took the Minimates buck from 3" down to 2". That could have been a deal-breaker.

If I wanted little pieces of plastic that are barely poseable, I'd be collecting Mez-Itz.

No offense, but if people are so concerned about scale and anatomy, there's several other toylines out there to collect.

Minimate aesthetic should only be tampered with in extreme circumstances. Fussing over minor differences is IMO ridiculous.

Well your obviously not paying attention, because I simply just asked a question. I'm not demanding for DST to do this, I just know that Wolverine is taller then my Cyclops, so I have to have him crouched, I just want to display him standing up. Big Vis, I hope you don't have any bulked up characters because these are Minimates and they all have to be in scale with each other, why don't you collect the big headed statue things? (Pop) Their all the same height and size.

Just saying, but who needs to move Logan's ankles anyway? If its his boots you can't do it regardless so I think that's a huge non issue.

Everyone is entitled to there opinions, but mine isn't blasphemous. I'm happy that were all conversing about this, I love so action on the boards.

We're just talking about ideas, I don't think there is any need to be critical over people discussing it, but this probably isn't the thread to continue the discussion it. Minimates have come a long way from the basic form, I never thought I'd like the bulked up figures, but they are some of the best of the bunch. Like it or not, smaller child-size arms and legs are already here, even though they haven't been used in the Marvel line as of yet. As much as I doubt DST would ever create a female chest block, I don't think discussing it warrants a "buy something else if you don't like what we've got" response.