UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Favorite Improvement or Change in the past 10 years?

So here we are 10 years into Minimate design and production. So many changes, what are your favorites? Also, any changes you don't like?

Mine:

1. Hairpieces! I really, really love the newer, more detailed sculpts on the hair pieces. I'm glad this is here to stay, as I usually look to replace some of the older smooth, detail-less older pieces.

2. More Accessories! Every wave (Marvel at least) is packed with accessories, and they feel more plentiful than when the line started.

3. C3 feet. Glad they kept this. Amassing a swarm of mates is inevitable, and it's good we can use or make stands to keep them all from falling over if you bump the shelf!

4. Texture & detail: As with the hairpieces, I'm happy minimates have evolved to the their current stage where things are more detailed,and they don't feel constrained to be mostly formless or smooth like the original block-style. Just compare the capes from recent years to the beginning, such a huge improvement!

5. Toys R Us. Yeah, I know they've received a lot of grief (deservedly) recently for their online screw-ups. But, without them, how many mates would be completely missing from our collections? A ton which would likely *never* have been made at all? How many teams would still be incomplete? I bought my very first minimates from TRU way back in the beginning with the "mystery mate" in each 4-pack. And it started a life-long obsession. But their willingness to take the obscure and sell it to us is highly commendable. If TRU were to end their association with Minimates, I would be devastated.

Change I don't like: I miss the 2.5 inch mate :( I don't think it's appropriate in every case, but sometimes it's necessary! Stay Puft Marshmallowman would have benefitted from a 2.5 inch mate. I understand the Marvel license restriction, but other lines should still benefit. I appreciate the spacers, but sometimes you just need those 2.5 inch proportions.

I'm a huge fan of the round disc stands, flight stands, leap stands, etc that they've included standard with almost every two pack. It really ramps up the poseability options for display.

A change I don't like? Stores like Target that stopped carrying minimates and stores like Media Buy and Suncoast closing down thus making minimates harder to come by if a TRU isn't an option. With so many retailers expanding beyond just what they are known for (like Barnes and Noble selling more than just books- so many vinyl toys, figures, board games even), I'm shocked that minimates aren't everywhere at this point. Would make for great impulse buy items at the local grocery store.

Edited by Jeff

I like that they got rid of larger mates. They ruin the uniformity of the line. Bulked up mates and larger feet and torso risers are much better IMO.

I like that were seeing more and more licenses. I'm only a Marvel guy so I don't care about the other lines, but I'm glad it brings attention to Minimates.

I like that we're getting more and more non humanoid characters. Lockjaw, MODOK, Brood. Years ago I would never think we would see them as minimates.

I like that we don't see duck feet anymore.

I don't like when there's too much sculpting. Marvel hasn't gone too far yet, but if they start emulating the Battle Beasts I'll stop collecting. I need them to still look like Minimates.

I don't like when we're forced to buy characters we already own to get new mates. I'm talking about the Avengers Disney Store box set situation.

I don't like when quality control is poor. Every wave 47 Colossus I have seen has come with a clear base that has been bent like a taco shell. There were many issues with stuck helmets/masks in that TRU wave that came out in the fall. And the latest F4 wave had a lot of problems with paint sticking to joints. These were not isolated instances either.

Good question, Monkeycrumb!

Favorites:

- More sculpted pieces. DST's really raised the game here. I know some people prefer tampos, but not me. I also like that we see a lot more single color base 'mate pieces, which are very convenient for customizing.

-More progressive character selection. I'm still amazed that we've gotten the likes of Mojo and Lockjaw.

-Toys R Us! I'm glad you said this as well because sometimes I feel like a TRU apologist. They are certainly not perfect, but are sooooooooo much better then the alternative, namely Target and Wal-Mart.

Not so favorites:

-The endless rehashes of the core characters. I understand why they do it, and I appreciate that DST always tries to give you something new with your money, but there's still only so many times you can buy Spider- Man or Captain America and not grumble about it.

-Video games. Just a personal preference: I'm not a gamer at all, so I have no connection to the characters, and while they usually offer unique new pieces the designs are often so stylized as to be useless for anything else.

I like the better detailed, more developed characters and the depth to which DST will go regarding licenses. It really seems like nothing is off the table.

My favorite is really the inclusion of accessories to make different versions of characters or even a different character. Big value, and reason for me to buy multiples.

Least favorite, which applies to Marvel, is the packaging. I wish we could see everything in the package instead of just part of the figures, mainly because of QC issues. Most problems can't be seen until it's opened. Better than the sealed boxes, but worse than the early waves, IMO.

What I like best:

- Expanding on the base minimate. I like the fact that we have Animals, Multiple limbs and bulked up mates

- more licenses. Sure, some of them I'm not totally interested in but it is good to see that more licenses are being made for more people to enjoy.

- Bases. THANK YOU!!!

- The continuation of Marvel. SO many characters, so many waves and still more to come

What I dislike:

- No DC. Yeah yeah, I know......

- Comic shop and TRU only. I'd like to see the TRU wave become a Retail Exclusive wave and go to more stores. More places available gives more people a chance to buy them.

While I'm sure DST would like to have minimates at Target or Wal-mart in addition to TRU, I wonder if it would be better for collectors overall. Sure, there would be more 'mates available, but there's no way the other retailers or going to take on the characters that TRU has as exclusives. Firelord and Air-Walker would never appear at Wal-mart.

My favorite change would have to be the increased details of tampos and the additional sculpting, but I think the biggest game-changer has been the addition of accessories to create variations on the same character. I definitely buy more because of this and it certainly adds to the value of a set.

TBH most of the things that I initially loved about Minimates have only got better & much of what we see these days is superb .

My main gripe would revolve around the two 'Q' words .....quantity & quality . I personally would be happier with fewer Minimate releases of better quality.

The vast majority of releases are so very close to being superb yet too many are wrecked ....& I mean wrecked....due to a tiny lack of finesse .

I'll leave it there & I won't say another Thing.

Best and Favorite changes:

More sculpted pieces, accessories, and detailing on figures

More bulked up characters and Peices (Bulkier Hands, Feet, Crotch, Torso)

More Diverse New Character Efforts to complete Teams (X-Force, Alpha Flight, The Worthy, Heralds, etc)

Bases (finally my mates don't domino fall at once)

Bad Changes:

Not using 3 inch scale for large characters like Onslaught, Apocalypse, etc.

No more DC mates

Best thing is definitely the variety of licenses. I had collected the first marvel minis and stopped at some point. When I heard about Walking Dead mates, I was back in. Now I've got Street Fighters, Expendables, Monsters, and Ghostbusters. Awesome to have so many different figures in the same style.

My biggest pet peeve about minimates was getting one that had the deformed / misshapen foot and one that looked regular. They would never stand correctly and they just look atrocious. Lately I've notice a new foot mold has been used and it seems to have corrected this problem. Kudos to that slight change as it has made a significant improvement in the QC department (IMO).

Favorites:

-The improvements of details along the line

-Vehicles

-Sculpted pieces like bulked up characters and much more

-Characters that are being updated

-The fact that they're starting to make smaller mates

-Other interpretations of the standard Minimates (Snarf and Dogs/Brood)

-Army boulders

-The scale of the characters compaired to each other

-That DST actually listens to us and that Zach is here among us as a community

-The growing community and this place!

-Bases

-The variaty of licences

-C3 feet for standing

-The many characters they make for the Marvel Universe

-Accesories

-All the different kinds of Iron-men they have

Less favorites:

-The lack of Marvel vehicles(with the exception of the gliders especially the green goblin glider, i totally loved that!)

-The dissapearance of 3 and 2,5 mates

-That the Maximates aren't being made anymore

-That some mates are so hard to get, especially the older ones

-TRU mates and exclusives, only because they're pretty hard to get for europeans with small wallets :P

-The variaty of characters being overkilled(like brown suit wolverine and black suit spiderman)

Edited by Aapje