UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Delta Chameleon's Customs and Repaints

Hello all,

Somehow I missed the forum towards the bottom for customs and artwork. I do a decent amount of customs and repaints. I primarily started just doing Battle Beasts (the classic line), but have begun to branch out to several different lines of toys, including minimates. I'll begin posting pictures of some of the figures that I have done. Please let me know what you think.

The first couple figures that I am going to post are some minimates Battle Beasts customs and repaints that I have done in the past several months.

Death Leaper (made for the Create a Battle Beasts contest)
Name: Mystaceus “Death Leaper” Aranea
Species: Jumping Spider
Homeworld: Unknown

Bio: Most beasts don’t know of his existence, but to those who do, he is simply known as the Death Leaper. He is an assassin, a hunter of extreme skill and patience. According to rumors that spread as whispers, those who have been marked by him know they have but eight days to live. Methodical as his nature is, he stalks his prey, learns their movements, and always strikes on the fateful eighth day. If his prey knows of their own mark, fear and paranoia drives them towards their own demise.

The Death Leaper’s location is constantly shifting. No one has seen any base of operation. No one knows where he might be next. He has a small, but capable ship, the Baltic Amber. This ship, crystalline in form, contains a multitude of sensors and arrays, constantly scanning the void all around him. Deep with in the command center of the Baltic Amber lays the Death Leaper. Advanced monitors spread about him from all directions. From a source unknown to him, he receives his next target. Unquestioning and unyielding, he will set forth on his mission, relentless until he has captured or killed his mark. Until this time, he waits patiently aboard his ship, traveling from system to system.

While on the hunt his skills become most evident. His agility and jumping strength, moving freely within almost any environment, has earned him his nickname. His intelligence and patience when tracking his prey has given him invaluable insight to the mind of his target, anticipating their every movement. But perhaps his greatest asset is his vision. His forward predatory vision is the equal of any hunter, allowing precise tracking across multiple light sources, including ultraviolet, allowing him to see in environments that would leave most next to blind. Additionally, he has sets of lateral eyes stretching his peripheral vision to a 360 degree field all around him, allowing him to track movement and environmental changes all around, while keeping his sight on his prey.

When a job is done, he quietly returns back to his ship, to await a new order. But even to the Death Leaper, the source of these missions is unknown. He does not question. He simply hunts his next victim, whomever they may be. But to those few that know of him, they wonder what larger plot he may unknowingly be a part of. Perhaps he is one piece of a larger machine, yet to show itself until it’s ready.

SpiderWebNA.jpg

SpideronCactus.jpg

SpiderWebArmor.jpg

Hiding
SpiderHiding.jpg

Strike!
SpiderHanging.jpg

Catching Cheetania
SpiderCheetahLeft.jpg

Lunch!
SpiderLunch1.jpg

Vorin (repainted for 10th Anniversary of Minimates Contest)

RamFullFront.jpg

RamSide1.jpg

RamBack.jpg

RamPosedBlurred.jpg

RamPosedRock.jpg

RaminHand.jpg

I love the original Triple Threat Snake Battle Beast. He was always the evil ninja trooper in my storyline as a kid. Sort of like the foot clan for the turtles. Anyways, I loved the idea of a whole clan of ninja snakes, that I built an entire army of them, at about 150 snakes total. Now, with the new line of Battle Beasts minimates, I have started to collect the snake from series 1. However, being that the sculpt is of a rattlesnake, but the original figures are green, I decided to do a quick repaint of the snake to make him an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. His name is Crotalus.

DSFront_zps8ca505fa.jpg

DSRightSide_zpsdaa91fd5.jpg

DSBack_zps4477e861.jpg

And here's a group shot of the minimate snakes that are proudly joining my Snake army.

DSGroupweapons_zpsaa2911b6.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your painting is stunning, and you've clearly a background in something more intricate and detailed than minimates (with all due respect to the 2" guys). These are beautiful, what other stuff have you customised before?

Bob,

I use a combination of different brands of paints, but I always use water based acrylics. I use Citadel, Apple Barrel, Folk Art, Delta Ceramcoat, and a few others that I am forgetting off the top of my head. I really like the range of colors available with Folk Art and Apple Barrel, however sometimes their pigment count is a little thin. If I know that I am going to really be thinning down the paint quite a bit with water or extender, than I'll stick to citadel or delta ceramcoat, as they are a bit thick and dense to start with anyways.

Dj87,

Thanks for the compliments. I originally cut my teeth on painting warhammer and other gaming minis about 15 years ago. I made the transition to painting toys with Battle Beasts about 6 years ago or so. I have also painted minimates (obviously), kinnikuman/MUSCLE, OMFG. I typically stick to smaller figures. The largest figure I have ever done was a 6" resin MOTU figure of Polar. I'll post pictures of him next.

Here's a quick Battle Beast custom that I did. I had been wanting to
make a minimate battle beast using the marvel rhino head for a while,
and I had an extra gruntos after getting a third snake. So i put them
together, and felt that it was actually working rather well, despite the
colors. I wanted this figure to look more like a production BB
minimate, so I didn't do any highlighting or other weathering details to
the paint job, and instead kept it to a simple color scheme with solid
colors. He actually displays really nicely now next to the rest of the
BB minimates.

IMG_0034_zps7835e615.jpg

IMG_0036_zps51c71e59.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

Here are two customs that I made with some bits I got this year at
C2E2. Since I already painted up a Rattle Snake and made a desert
jumping spider, I decided to continue my desert/western theme that I
have going. First off, I made a beast that's an homage to Clint Eastwood
in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, in the form of a desert lizard. I
chose this specific breed as the spikes on his face mirror Clint's five
o'clock shadow in the movie. I also used the oversized gator feet to
represent western cowboy boots.

The second figure is a Merk/falcon repaint where I tried to give him
more of a southern Arizona desert feel to him, with a little bit more of
a native american flair to him.

So I have a desert lizard, falcon, rattle snake and jumping spider.
Next, I plan on doing my own paint jobs on the tarantula and scorpion.
Let me know what you guys think.

EastwoodFront_zps8ba57e43.jpg

EastwoodSide_zps6d4def18.jpg

EastwoodBack_zps0dd803fa.jpg

EastwoodCloseUp2_zps5493ea03.jpg

EastwoodNoPoncho_zps765d4f2f.jpg

EastwoodNoPoncho2_zpsc4f0959f.jpg

FalconFront_zps473339f2.jpg

FalconSide_zps37c7318c.jpg

FalconBack_zps91ae5feb.jpg

FalconCloseUp_zps413a7c00.jpg

DesertDuo_zps59b7a5ee.jpg