UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Striking Dioramas - Relaunched!

The Striking Dioramas look great.

I'm afraid my hands are too clumsy to attempt the stickers.

My suggestions are a forest, view of city/buildings at night time,

alternate views of space (kinda like a view from the Deathstar or that
last shot from Empire Strikes Back)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of releasing a large second series of dioramas all at once, I decided to release them as they are finished. First up is two new dioramas - the Prison Cell Diorama and the Prison Battle Diorama. I am sure you can guess what these were inspired by! They are now available, and are on sale for only $13 as part of our 4th Anniversary Sale:

prison1_zps77ffa9af.jpg

prison2_zpsabf62f71.jpg

Prison2bg_zps447c946b.jpg

Those walls are nasty! How about a coat of paint and bead board trim to brighten the place up? Can you add a bow window with some colorful drapes? Nothing too fancy. I don't want it to scream "White Collar Prison" but a ceiling fan would be nice. And where's the toilet and bidet? The space is for rehabilitation, too. A modest television wouldn't blow the budget.

Martha-Stewart-Jail.jpg

Luke,

I think the issue you are seeing with the door, is the angle of the door. Right now, the door appears to be resting on the lower left corner (on the floor) and the upper right corner (on the wall). Neither the upper edge or the lower edge of the door appear to be resting entirely on a surface (wall or floor, respectively), which I think is what you were going for.

To achieve the shadow effect, without changing the door, may I recommend a shadow along the floor, starting at the lower left corner of the door, where the door meets the floor, and running to the right "under" the leading edge of the door, fading and receding slightly by the time it reaches the right side. This, to me, would complete the look I outlined first.

If you can, I would recommend adjusting the angle of the door. "Realistically" the door has two positions that would "look natural." One would be that the door is sitting fully on the floor, with only one corner resting on the wall; this would require you to skew the left side of the door up and slightly more to the left, with all the other lines of the door following. The other "natural state" would be for the door to have the top edge fully resting on the back wall. This would mean that all the horizontal lines of the door should be parallel to the floor/wall junction. The vertical lines would then taper slightly as they went toward the ceiling.

I would sketch something in Paint if I weren't on my iPod. Maybe later today.

Either way, this one still looks cool, just a little perspective confusion. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, after a serious mishap, I finally have my Prison diorama set:

Behind you!

null_zpsfafd360b.jpg

Welcome to the block

null_zpsca3160bf.jpg

Collision!

null_zps567bc949.jpg

Mood lighting

null_zps5bfa300a.jpg

I may have to purchase more displays. These are great, Luke!

The only suggestion, and this may not be possible, would be to have backing on the stickers that has a starter spot for removal. With all the stickers it was a struggle to separate the sticker from the backing. And after my first failed attempt at applying the sticker, I realized it was better/easier to apply if I removed a small portion of the backing (pull up then cut with a scissor), aligned the sticker, sticked the part down missing the backing, and the applied the rest of the sticker by smoothing as I removed the backing.

Edited by Onyx_6