Invincible Minimates

Pete

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I figure there's at least five Invincible 'mates to be made: original costume, battle damaged original costume, new costume, battle damaged new costume, and Bulletproof as Invincible. So we should get at least five box sets out of this deal.thumbsup.gif

Don't forget the 12 evil Invincibles from other dimensions!

I wonder what the chances of us actually getting more Invincible mates are?

I believe Zach said somewhere that TRU is taking chances on a few new lines next year (something like that), but with Marvel already filling the "superhero" category, and with little visibility outside of a dedicated but relatively small fan base, I don't see this license being one of them. Likewise, I'm not sure LCSs are going to jump on board to support a full-on line, or even a second boxset, before they see how well this first one does.

I guess we'll probably know by Toyfair whether these guys have legs.

For what it's worth, of the three boxed sets that came out this week (Invincible, Thief of Thieves, and Marvel Zombies), my LCS only ordered Invincible for the store. I was especially surprised they passed on the Marvel set since they generally buy everything Marvel. Maybe they just wanted something a little different.

I would expect Invincible to do well. DST made a wise choice by doing a box set rather then a wave; retailers are more likely to take a flier on a box set. And, considering that these are the first ever Invincible toys, I'm sure they will be picked up by some first time Minimate buyers.

I picked this set up at my LCS today, and, wowzers, it is closer to a home run. Omni-man, Eve, and Allen are all superbly done, amazing minimate. Unfortunately Invincible's the worst of the bunch. His mask is lopsided (warped plastic and bad paint) and ill fitting, like maybe neckless Sloth is meant to wear it. I've really been looking forward to Invincible minimates, so the botched mask is a big disappointment. I'd still really like a proper Invincible minimate one day, so before we see any battle damaged variants, I'd like to see an undamaged Invincble.

As much as I love this set, I can't help but notice the "soft" sculpts. Accessories have been getting more and more detailed, especially hair, which has evolved from a hair-shaped lump on early mates to very finely detailed with defined individual strands on newer ones. These definitely hark back to the days of hair abstraction, circa 2008 or so. I'm curious whether that was an intentional design decision to make them look more comic-bookey, or if it's just… well, something that happened?

Edited by Lobsterman

As much as I love this set, I can't help but notice the "soft" sculpts. Accessories have been getting more and more detailed, especially hair, which has evolved from a hair-shaped lump on early mates to very finely detailed with defined individual strands on newer ones. These definitely hark back to the days of hair abstraction, circa 2008 or so. I'm curious whether that was an intentional design decision to make them look more comic-bookey, or if it's just… well, something that happened?

No, it's sculpted to match the designs, which were done based on the stylized artwork of the series. Both of the series' main artists drew in a fairly clean style, and that was definitely an aesthetic choice. (The unmasked hair is obviously more detailed than the masked hair.)

1461717_665881256789468_771976672_n.jpg

I picked this set up at my LCS today, and, wowzers, it is closer to a home run. Omni-man, Eve, and Allen are all superbly done, amazing minimate. Unfortunately Invincible's the worst of the bunch. His mask is lopsided (warped plastic and bad paint) and ill fitting, like maybe neckless Sloth is meant to wear it. I've really been looking forward to Invincible minimates, so the botched mask is a big disappointment. I'd still really like a proper Invincible minimate one day, so before we see any battle damaged variants, I'd like to see an undamaged Invincble.

I don't know if we're doing any more, so you may want to check with CS, if your mask is truly damaged. Mine fits fine, it just rides a little low, which is an unfortunate factory error. Not sliding it on all the way helps.

I would expect Invincible to do well. DST made a wise choice by doing a box set rather then a wave; retailers are more likely to take a flier on a box set. And, considering that these are the first ever Invincible toys, I'm sure they will be picked up by some first time Minimate buyers.

If I'm seeing this right, we seem to have sold out of the Invincible box set, so I think that's good news! But we certainly have a full plate as it is, so we'll see. Write in to Ask DST, let him know you want to see more. (Not you, necessarily, HP, but anybody who wants more.) http://www.artasylum.com

Edited by DSTZach

Zach, I will contact CS as the mask on mine seems a bit more wonky than others. Even when I don't slide it on all the way, it's still uneven. I may also try boiling and resetting it. And I may touch up the paint on his eyes.

I think the soft sculpts on these are spot on. To me it's Invincible's extra hair piece that seems out of place, but it's certainly no deal breaker.

With so many neat character designs, I'm going we'll see more from the Invinci-verse.

• 3 months later...

I don't recall that, but it certainly could be the case. I was surprised that none of the stores around me that stock Minimates ordered that set, so I had to turn to Luke. I really hope we get at least one more box set.

I think it did fine; I mentioned on just the last page (not a bustling thread, this one) that we sold out to retailers the week they hit stores, which is good. Not sure what the timeline is for additional sets, but I think Chuck said he'd like to do more in two separate Ask DSTs.

I'll ask him the next time I see an opening. We have a lot of licenses. There's even talks about another indie comic property, not sure what the status of that one is.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what the timeline is for additional sets, but I think Chuck said he'd like to do more in two separate Ask DSTs.

Apologies for the the thread necro...

Zach, just wondering what the status of the Invincible line is. Will we see some more Minimates at C2E2 in April? Or something later in the year?

I hope this line continues. So many great characters yet to be made.

I was just thinking about this today (going back through and reading the Ultimate Collections).

I was trying to think of who they would put in a second set. I imagine they would want to keep it mostly tampo-based, with a minimum of new parts.

BD Invincible (obviously, as the title character; and he does get thrashed often enough that it wouldn't seem like a slot-filler)

The Immortal (I don't love the character, but he wouldn't require any extra parts)

Robot (arguably one of the key characters in the book, and he could be mostly simple tampos with a new head sculpt.

Mauler (a recurring villain who would make sense in the context of the set; mostly tampos, and if you threw in a alt head, the set just became an army builder ;) )