UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

By pester I meant: post once in a thread then sit on my hands and wait.

Getting tired of this whole will they? won't they? wouldn't it be cool if.......? song and dance, aren't you Zach? smile.png

Minimates have lasted a long time- it's the only toy line outside of TMNT that I buy figures for. If you don't make what I want it's disappointing and hard to process WHY NOT?? at times with certain properties, whatever they may be, but you're on the opposite end of this- you know what sells and what can even be approached to make. So I'm out in terms of giddy fanboy salivating at the thought of what 'could be'.....it only gets me into trouble here.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get my mind blown away everyday at school (no one can compute with this kind of stupidness) so getting it blown away by awesomeness would be splendacular! So....bring on the Nintendo,dr who,star wars,dc,tmnt,spawn,final fantasy and Disney infinity concept art (in my imagisphere this is the hidden concept art)!

Perhaps I am a little biased because I loved Peter Pan when I was younger (Halloween costume, watched the movie almost every day, etc.), but these figures look fantastic! The way I see it, the entire Minimate team did a great job with these 'mates...GIVEN THE SOURCE MATERIAL. We are talking about a movie that was made in 1953. Characters did not have fancy patterns or designs on their clothes. The Lost Boys wore plain, solid colored clothes and the Darling children wore pajamas. That is what is delivered in these 'mates.

Obviously these characters will not come with intricate and special parts for customizing. Therefore, why are so many of you complaining about this? Accept these Minimates for what they are: PETER PAN MINIMATES. They were made to put on shelves and sell to kids in the store or older fans (like myself). I don't care what anyone's opinion is. I will be hunting these things down and I will spend money on them because I love them. I might even take them out of the box and...GASP...play with them. Thanks to Zach and the entire Minimate staff for delivering such an amazing line!!!

Heck, we've even done concept art for things that never went forward, but would blow your mind.

I... would like to have my mind blown, please. happy.png

When I was talking to Chuck in New York last fall, he mentioned one of these proposed Disney properties in passing... and I can confirm it blew my mind. Seriously, Zach's not just blowin' smoke here.blink.png

When I was talking to Chuck in New York last fall, he mentioned one of these proposed Disney properties in passing... and I can confirm it blew my mind. Seriously, Zach's not just blowin' smoke here.blink.png

Then it's true. . .it's really gonna happen isn't it?

Me:

uEF2QPO.gif

You know, before the internet went and screwed everything up, I was one of the youngest people on the planet that saw that in theaters. I think my sister was 4 and she doesn't have a clue she ever saw it. I barely remember it. Now it's on youtube and the status quo is ruined. Stupid, wonderful youtube.

I admire the lack of detail. It's more authentic to the source material. The reason there's no detail has got to be because it was never there in the first place. You have to remember that hand-drawn animation requires a limited amount of detail to facilitate the production.

However there are other Disney properties that can offer more detail. The recent CG Tinker Bell videos have more characters with some pretty elaborate costumes. Live-action franchises like Pirates of the Caribbean or Tron could translate into some magnificent sculpted pieces and tampo'd bodies.

I hope this first solicitation represents the tip of the iceberg in the relationship between DST and Disney and that we can get at least two such offerings a year.

Tottaly agree on all points. I like the simple details, large exagerated eyes, they look like great recreations of the characters from the movie. My kids already want at least one of each set.

You know, before the internet went and screwed everything up, I was one of the youngest people on the planet that saw that in theaters. I think my sister was 4 and she doesn't have a clue she ever saw it. I barely remember it. Now it's on youtube and the status quo is ruined. Stupid, wonderful youtube.

Without Youtubeand the wonderful world of bootleggers, Disney buffs like me would never have been able to see and love that movie... So I say God bless it!

Does this mean we'll get stuff like Aladdin?

> FYI, we do not have the Disney license. So please do not pester Chuck, or me, or Ask DST for Aladdin Minimates; it is not in our power.

No.

So, you're saying there's a chance, right? :)

As for Captain Hook, if you look closely, it's like they gave the outline of his nose with his eye wrinkles and mustache, so kudos to the designer for this workaround!

I'm kinda curious about Zach's statement about how DST missed the target date, since it sounds like DST delivered on time, Disney Store just seems to be sitting on these until March. Sounds to me more like an internal Disney distribution concern. Odd, but not a deal breaker. Hope this still bears well for future projects with Disney! (Zach, no need to comment on this, I don't want to ruffle *any feathers at either DST or Disney)

Don't we have The Little Mermaid coming up in October on Blu Ray? My wife would love Little Mermaid minimates, but I wonder how well these would sell.

Does this mean we'll get stuff like Aladdin?

> FYI, we do not have the Disney license. So please do not pester Chuck, or me, or Ask DST for Aladdin Minimates; it is not in our power.

No.

So, you're saying there's a chance, right? smile.png

Don't we have The Little Mermaid coming up in October on Blu Ray? My wife would love Little Mermaid minimates, but I wonder how well these would sell.

Now this, this would make sense, if the Peter Pan ones do well...

Little Mermaid would be tremendous. I've thought about making an Ariel custom for my daughter (90s Jean Grey's hair is perfect), but I haven't found a mermaid tail that would work. Anyway, if my daughter and her friends are any indication, Ariel is probably the most popular of the princesses, and I think these would be a HUUUUUGGGGEEEEE hit.

I don't think he was upset, just clarifying that DST didn't somehow obtain the whole Disney license and decided to pick Peter Pan out of a hat for the launch property.

As I understand it, In cases like Marvel, Walking Dead, Universal Monsters, and Ghostbusters, DST pays a fee to the license holder, then gets to decide how they're going to deploy that license (e.g., Minimates). They still have to get approval from the licensor on specific execution, but they get to choose what they're going to make.

In cases like Thundercats, DC, and now Peter Pan, the license holder comes to DST with a specific request (e.g., Minimates), and DST simply provides design and production services for that request. No amount of "bugging Chuck and Zach" will make any difference on what they get to make.

I said I thought Little Mermaid made sense, because if Disney is looking for product to tie into DVD releases, and the Peter Pan sets sell well, it could prompt them to ask for other property-specific sets. So, as Zach's said, letting Disney know Minimates are a good investment on their part by buying them is the best (and probably only) way to make more happen.

This line has to be a success or Disney won't bother coming back to the Minimates brand like this again. Disney has tried other block figures before but hopefully we – the Minimates consumers – will be able to help push sales beyond expectations. This is a niche category in a very, very small market so while those expectations might be low, a quick sell-through at full retail will speak volumes about the popularity and future potential of this co-brand.

I'd urge anyone who decides to purchase these to follow up with a correspondence to Disney Store with a brief review and a short wish list of what you'd like to see next. Marketing pros love that because it makes their jobs easier.

But The Little Mermaid?

Mermaid Ariel

King Triton

Ursula

Flounder & Sebastian

Ariel in Formal Gown

Prince Eric in Dress Uniform

Grimsby

Max

Prince Eric's ship w/ Sailor Eric

Why not?