UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I'm holding out for the 99 cent sale!

I wonder if 3-5 years from now, people will be posting "Remember when those were selling for $5" like they currently do with the Western sets...

$4.99 Disney sets are a 'double edged sword' ....great for us in the short-term but it bodes less well for the future of further Disney 'mates. Easy to say now but the Disney sets were too 'childish' & despite the fact that my humble opinion will enrage many members I'll stick by it . I think I'm right in thinking that Disney called the shots on this project so let's not go 'DST bashing' because who says 'No' to Disney?

The Eastwood 'mates are an entirely different kettlo'fish .....ol' Clint won't sign over his likeness to toy manufacturers* . Once you know that then you know that the 'Western Trilogy' are totally unique in oh so many ways thumbsup.gif

*You might want to check out Madonna's attitude towards this as well tongue.png

I'm fine with Disney initiating this little experiment. It shows faith in their partnership with DST if not in the Minimates brand overall. I know the retail price was daunting and with no licensing fees (at least on DST's end) I'm not sure why they didn't go with a slightly lower price point. But it is in line with other product.

The assortment was decent for a property like Peter Pan and could segue into Tinker Bell sets next year. If they want to continue leveraging the ship toolings, The Little Mermaid and Pirates of the Caribbean would be natural follow-ups.

As much as I'd love to have Pirates of the Caribbean Minimates, I'd be afraid that we'd only get one or two 4-packs and The Black Pearl. I'm looking for a more comprehensive line than that with gnarly crew members being for main characters what zombies are to The Walking Dead sets. I'd settle for the former but I'm up for the latter. Maybe Disney would allow DST to get the Pirates license to tie into the release of the fifth film in 2015.

I anxiously await seeing someone's fleet of pirate ships. GH, are you going to army build these? wink.png

I guess if the ships go lower then maybe...

I just picked up three each of the 4-packs this morning for extras. It's sad when I can't justify any more ships because you get half as many figures as the other sets.

Well son of a gun. The boats are sold out. Sometimes the having kids thing just doesn't seem worth it biggrin.png Anyone looking only for boats and wanting to offload a set of those figure?

Yes, that would be most appropriate in the bouy, sail, and trade winds section.

Somehow one popped back in stock and I got one, though. I do think it's a bit of a bummer that these didn't sell better, but considering the prices of other small toy items on their site I can see why they didn't.

Edited by karamazov80

As I said on the last page, I think it's a bit too early to say for sure that these were not a success. From the sounds of it, Disney only really wanted to get some Peter Pan product on the shelf, so who's to say what their criteria for success is? The Disney Store cycles through product pretty quickly, so it's just as likely that these were clearanced because Disney was done with Peter Pan product as Disney considered these Minimates a failure. If anything, I think (and maybe it's wishful thinking) that Disney will look at the Peter Pan property as being unsuccessful, rather than the individual products. Again, it's not like it's only the Minimates that didn't sell through.

Also going back to the last page, it was mentioned how the Funko Pops got clearance out cheap and that that hasn't stopped Disney from making more. In actuality, Disney Stores will no longer be carrying Pop figures and any more Disney figures will just be released through normal stores and LCSs from now starting with the next group of 12 in July. Probably not a good example of 'just because it got clearance big doesn't mean it won't be in Disney Stores again', however I would hope both lines would serve as an example that you've got to have the right character selection out at the right time.

Dang, I didn't know that about Pops. I'm going to just assume that's all part of Disney's obvious crusade to keep me from buying Rocketeer products.verymad.gif

So, here's a different, perhaps more direct example: Disney has clearanced several Marvel Select figures, yet they still keep stocking those, and even order exclusives. How's that?

Disney Stores tend to cycle through the non-princess properties like this. When there's a movie in theaters or an DVD release, they have big displays; after a certain point, they loose their display space and the remaining product is clearanced. I really believe that the fact that DST was able to provide Disney with new product in a short time will be a bigger plus for future Minimate sets then sales will be a negative. I could be completely wrong here, but I'm feeling optimistic tonight.smile.png

What does it say about this line when I watched several people (adults and children) pass on this line at $4.99 each at one of my local stores?

As much as I might have liked them, these mates really couldn't compete with the PVC figurine box sets. Those were more eye catching, had more accessories, and had the crocodile. I'm really pleased that Disney took a chance on these. I just hope this doesn't sour them on doing more Disney-mates. One of my other local stores sold out of everything back when they were $9.99.

But $5 for 4 mates including the new smaller body? Plus stands and other useful parts? Custom-fodder Heaven! My stores have all been picked clean at this point, so maybe another online order is in order :)

The Disney Store seems to like to keep product fresh. I know the Marvel Select gift set was 50% off after the holidays. And as a store owned by Disney that promotes Disney properties, getting any leftover Disney toys into the hands of customers may be its own reward.

Edited by DSTZach

The Disney Store seems to like to keep product fresh. I know the Marvel Select gift set was 50% off after the holidays. And as a store owned by Disney that promotes Disney properties, getting any leftover Disney toys into the hands of customers may be its own reward.

So, you're saying they are just making room for MORE Disney Minimates! :)

Got the two packs. Whoever bought the fleet of ships, if you don't need the two figures I'd take them off your hands. I don't collect the minimate vehicles, although at 4.99 I would have bit on these.

If you're skipping on the Minimate vehicles, you're really missing out, especially on the awesomely-designed pirate ship (any deco!)

Edited by monkeycrumb

I agree, especially since you can find Terminator tanks and BSG ships on deep discount at TRU from time to time.

While not usually on sale, the Time Machines, Koaches and KITTs are also very cool.

And the Enterprise.... oof.