UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

not really surprised, Last time i was in a DS marvel selects were $24 aren't they like $15 in comic shops?

They're more like $18-21, but they are still significantly more at the DS.

Well, I just came back from the DS empty handed... well, not empty handed (hello, Marvel Universe Nighthawk!) but without Minimates. The price point is going to be a problem, I fear, because DS has other figure sets- those pvc 7 packs- for a significantly lower price. Are they as cool as Minimates? Of course not. Might parents that don't know what Minimates are steer their kids towards the cheaper set with more figures? Probably. I would. And that pirate ship... well, let's just hope there are enough little girls that HAVE to have Wendy out there.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T think one of the justifications for the higher price point on the ship is the added number of masts. I may be wrong, but the promo pics at least seem to indicate more mast/sail than other ships.

Luke? Can you prove me wrong?

Pirate ship does come with two masts, previous incarnations have only come with one. But we do not set Disney's prices.

They should be on DisneyStore.com at some point, I believe. I said as much in the press release, and they didn't correct it.

And I think Disney expects most of their toys to be bought FOR kids, if not actually BY kids. I don't think they're trying to hit collectors harder or anything. That's just how they need/want to price things in the store.-

I got these yesterday, the lady at the counter was SUPER excited about them (she thought they were super cute and said she likes minimates, she saw some baseball themed ones at a baseball game... so clearly she doesn’t know a minimate from a generic block figure, but that’s okay! Here super positiveness about block figures will help people think the $76 they’re plopping down for a whole set is worth it!)

I’m still not sure I’m going to open them though... they’re fun, just... eh...

I know it’s film accurate they be free of lines, but I can’t help but think a couple of lines to denote wrinkling would have went a lot way to make these look better (Peter’s got some lines to show knees, why not a few lines to show ‘shirt cinched by belt and a wrinkle on his skirt piece like on the box art?)

and I know they’re screen accurate colors but a richer color scheme might help too (I know Disney probably selected the pantones so DST had no say in the matter, but Tink looks very washed out, of course in Disney’s mind this is probably better since the Tink with darker green clothes and yellower-blonde hair is “Fairies TinkerBell” and the lighter colored, bitchier one is “Peter Pan Tinker Bell” thus letting them sell one doll twice in two different boxes)

... and personally I think Hook would have looked better if his top was vanilla (with maybe his ruffle and bandolier as sculpted pieces) and his hanging coat-tails were a belt piece with some kind of riser worked in (it would have been nice if his shoes had a little height built into them too) He just looks a little stocky with the full sculpted slip-over coat.

so yeah, these are a nice enough product and screen accurate, but I think they would have been better if some liberties (liberties DST may not have been allowed) had been taken to make them BETTER products over accurate products... If they sell well enough Disney makes more lines, I’ll probably open them someday, but for now I’m happy to keep them boxed up and just go “oh that’s fun” then toss them aside.

tl;dr: Baghead typed a whole lot and said basically nothing, carry on!

edit: I wish I could blame the ‘how/whole’ typo on my phone, but nope, computer! my brain just wrote ‘how’ for ‘whole’ twice... :(

Edited by dr baghead

I haven't found t hem yet but I'm looking, was hoping they'd have these at Downtown Disney at Disneyland. Looking at the pics the only figure I don't like is Mr. Smee, all the others though look fantastic . . . . Disneyland Haunted Mansion Minimates and Haunted Mansion play set please GOD please

I haven't found t hem yet but I'm looking, was hoping they'd have these at Downtown Disney at Disneyland. Looking at the pics the only figure I don't like is Mr. Smee, all the others though look fantastic . . . . Disneyland Haunted Mansion Minimates and Haunted Mansion play set please GOD please

Your words to DST's ear.

Your words to DST's ear.

That sentence assumes we are God in this scenario. Disney Store played God this time, we were just the angels who did their bidding.

Not sure these will be at the parks, but I have no idea. Does Downtown Disney have a Disney Store? Or is that redundant?

Your words to DST's ear.

That sentence assumes we are God in this scenario. Disney Store played God this time, we were just the angels who did their bidding.

Not sure these will be at the parks, but I have no idea. Does Downtown Disney have a Disney Store? Or is that redundant?

Nah, not that you guys're God in this (or any) scenario.

I just found it more interesting to word it that way instead of my usual "Oh man, I sure hope we get this too!".

Any pics yet, guys?

Video reviews and pics should be up on Minimates Central by this weekend. I have a super excited 9yr old that got these for her birthday on Monday so she happily helped me out with some reviews.

Disneyland/DisneyWorld Haunted Mansion Minimates and Haunted Mansion play set please GOD please

drool.gifdrool.gifdrool.gif

Looking forward to the review, Lurch. I'll watch it with my little girl, who will hopefully be getting these in her Easter basket. My Disney Store just told me they're on their invoice for Monday. They have been really super-friendly there, so much so that I'm going to send a message to their corporate boss to let them know how happy I am with the service.

Just got back from a trip to Milwaukee and I hit the Disney store there. They had 10 Peter Pan 4-packs and half a dozen ships, but no Hooks. I asked if they had any and was told no. :( Hopefully these hit online.

In the plus side, I found Marvel Legends wave 4, too, although they didn't have The Sentry, I got Archangel, Red She Hulk and Protector!

Just got back from a trip to Milwaukee and I hit the Disney store there. They had 10 Peter Pan 4-packs and half a dozen ships, but no Hooks. I asked if they had any and was told no. sad.png Hopefully these hit online.

In the plus side, I found Marvel Legends wave 4, too, although they didn't have The Sentry, I got Archangel, Red She Hulk and Protector!

I was there Friday also. Grabbed Red She Hulk and Hyperion there. They also hit TRUs, grabbed Protector on Saturday.

Got all these this weekend. They look great! Captain Hook and Peter Pan are top level Minimates. I hope these lead to more!

My only knock is Hook's sword is too soft for his sheath, but I have him hold it anyway. I don't mind paying more on these, they just seem classier with their bright inviting colors and shiny stands.

My store had a few Hook Sets left, so I'll be back for more.

The lady at the store seemed excited about selling them. They were all on a shelf immediately when you walked in the store.

They had all the regular Marvel Legends also,which my LCS never received. 17 bucks for Archangel is cheap, my LCS sells them for like 28 now. I wish the xforce variant wasn't so rare.

I'm looking forward to these showing up online. The delay in them arriving has been nice, though. It's letting me get some other bills paid off before I go splurge on a couple sets of each.

That said, I hope they arrive online sooner than later for those of you who DO have the money to spend right now and want them. :)

You're not trying to build Hit Monkey, are you? confused.gif

I will, if I can find Sentry. I really only get the characters I want, so I could have had Hyperion, but wasn't interested. Which is also why I picked up Angel, but not Wolverine or Cap (none of these 3 are needed for the BAF).

I really wish that Hasbro could figure out distribution better, though. How a company can think that, when releasing different assortments of a product, it is okay to call releases W3r1 and W3r2, and not include a single character from wave 3 (W3)! /rant

I do so hope Hook shows up online.