UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I don't think Zach wants this to turn into post after post of "hey Zach, why don't you guys do [insert Disney property here]?" Which it inevitably will, since as soon as a post is on a previous page it might as well be deleted. unsure.png

Peter Pan is a good test run for Disney Minimates; it's a beloved classic, but I wouldn't put it at the very tippy-top of the Disney canon, so there's less pressure on these then there would be for, say, Cinderella. Plus, Peter Pan's probably one of the few Disney movies that crosses gender barriers enough that both boys and girls will probably pick these up. It's sneaky smart to pack Wendy with the pirate ship, since most girls would probably skip that, but what self-respecting little girl won't want Wendy? Not mine, that's for sure.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was upset, anyway. So thanks for making me upset Jeff.

Wait----what?

I love that DST is doing Peter Pan (the more minimates the better!), but Pan isn't my one of my favorite Disney properties (Aladdin is)- so that's why I'm not buying them. Of course I realize that in order to get more sets in the same vein they have to sell like gangbusters to make some kind of a dent in the pocket books to even consider the thought of "Hey, didn't Disney also make OTHER movies too? What if we made more?" So in a sense, if I want the others to have a fighting chance I'm forced to buy Peter Pan....or start some kind of petition to send to Disney BEGGING them to make them.

Had Aladdin been released instead of Pan, I'm sure I would have had the same complaint for Jafar's nose as I did with Hooks..... a minor gripe but I would buy that set in a heartbeat.

Sorry, didn't mean to crush anyone's hopes and dreams.

Just wanted to be realistic, and let people know that we aren't ignoring their requests. This was an order we got, we filled it to the best of our ability, and we had fun doing it. We'd love to do more, but it's not our choice to make.

Little Mermaid would be cool, although the octopus lady might be tough to execute. I'd dig Hunchback of Notre Dame -- THAT is my favorite non-Pixar Disney movie. But Tron, Hercules, Snow White, Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Incredibles... all would be amazingly awesome.

Sorry, didn't mean to crush anyone's hopes and dreams.

Just wanted to be realistic, and let people know that we aren't ignoring their requests. This was an order we got, we filled it to the best of our ability, and we had fun doing it. We'd love to do more, but it's not our choice to make.

Little Mermaid would be cool, although the octopus lady might be tough to execute. I'd dig Hunchback of Notre Dame -- THAT is my favorite non-Pixar Disney movie. But Tron, Hercules, Snow White, Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Incredibles... all would be amazingly awesome.

After the Battle Beasts Spider and Scorpion I'd think she would be rather easy.

A simple sculpted lower half like the Battle Beast Snake would be the easiest way to go. Another solution that creates more articulation would be to use one of the new four post waists and then sculpt a new shoulder that splits to attach double lower arms. Finally create one or two tentacles and attach them to the eight lower arms for an instant win. I'm not much of a Little Mermaid fan (Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Mulan are my dream Disney Mates) but I'd buy a couple extra boxes just for the customizing possibilities.

I have no affiliation to the seller, I'm just grateful for the pictures http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japan-Medicom-Kubrick-Disney-Character-Series-4-CAPTAIN-HOOK-Action-Figure-RARE-/230933072255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c4af097f

The 'mates are now growing on me & despite what I've said earlier in the thread I can understand the direction taken by DST & why.

If someone just wants a well sculpted Disney figure, there are lots of options out there. Google search brings me to these for example, though I'm sure there are loads of others:

http://toysrevil.blogspot.com/2012/04/disney-mini-figure-world-launch-event.html

My main issue with what the Kubricks did is that some of their figures are just barely Kubricks, like this guy for instance:

9mDahJ3.jpg

Looks great, but. . .he's got Kubrick feet and maybe a basic Kubrick torso or head in there somewhere, and that's it. I appreciate it when I see DST making a compromise that still allows the distinctiveness of Minimates to really shine through, because I personally don't want just a small Disney mini-figure that looks like a character from a cartoon. I want a Minimate of these characters. I understand though that different collectors will have different ideas of what that means.

Haunted Mansion would be neat---and as a Ghostbusters fan, I'm always up for more translucent ghost characters. Pirates has been done already- then again now, with Peter Pan.

A full fledged Haunted Mansion playset would be great.

Disney themselves put out some amazing Ruben Procopio-designed, vaguely anime-esque Disney Heroes: Hook, Pan, Herc and Phillip.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_111405b.htm

And there have been smaller Disney Heroes playsets galore for Peter Pan. Not sure if any might work for Minimates!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Disney-Peter-Pan-Fortress-Island/dp/B0000AC91A

One of the benefits of living in one of the most heavily populated areas in the US... there's never a lack of shopping options. I discovered a few weeks after Christmas my local Disney Store had closed. Bummer for me, bummer for my daughter. So today, in anticipation of these dropping, plus reading reports that the newest wave of Marvel Legends were turning up there, I decided to do a store locator search to see what was now my closest DS. Turns out, there's one in a mall I've never been to about 10 miles from me. So I drove over there today.... and no, these aren't out yet. I talked to the staff a little bit, and though they thought Peter Pan Minimates would be a great idea, they hadn't heard anything. They did have a spot for Minimates on their store plan-o-gram, though, which they assumed would be for another Marvel set. Very helpful, and they told me to call on Monday to see if anything's come in.

Oh, and I found ML Archangel and Hyperion. thumbsup.gif