UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I have to say I hate the look on Hook's face. He was always so expressionate. Here he just looks... bored.

I just think Captain Crook's face didn't translate well to the flat face. He's got a defining nose and huge chin which were both lost in the minimate design

I totally agree with you, Punisher. But I'm glad they didn't come up with the idea of actually giving him a nose.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig 'em. I think they are improvements over the Kubricks. Was a fan of the cartoon as a kid, and my daughter likes Tinkerbell, so these are a buy.

Each & every time I see the comparison of Minimates to kubricks I try & bite my tongue . First of all I've nailed my colours to the mast & have said that I'm pleased for DST & the Minimate line that we're seeing a Disney box set . Fantastic news & I'll be buying them if I can find them.

Tongue unbitten:

Disney kubrick ..... post-638-0-08819800-1361265839_thumb.jpg You hate it?

The above is NOT a Medicom kubrick it is the in-house Disney version ,this is the Medicom kubrick version

post-638-0-28008100-1361266060_thumb.jpg

You don't have to tell me what's wrong with kubricks 'cause I know what's wrong with them & that particular Medicom kubrick came out years ago yet........

Medicom dispensed with uniformity of the tampoed cylindrical head for a very good reason ....just like DST recently did with Battle Beasts. Why oh why are we going through 180 degrees again ?

Forgive the spoilers .

edit: I like the Minimate Pan, I really do ,I like most everything about him but I just get the feeling that Disney characters are by their very nature sooooooooo distinctive that just maybe the rudder needs to be pointing in a slightly different direction .....for the long term journey.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I would say I prefer the spoilered kubrick to the 'mate, and that does seem to come down to the head.

I'm trying to think what Disney films would I'd be interested in, and Robin Hood was always one of my favourites... no way is that working without lots of unique sculpted heads and other parts, which doesn't seem likely from a cost effective point o' view.

I'm not a fan of these either (I agree with Punisher about the style not translating especially on Hook) and honestly can't see parts to use for my own customs. Bravo for DST getting the Disney license and hoping this isn't a once a year thing.

Hoping we'll see more. Here's my 'fat chance it'll never happen so keep pestering Zach/Chuck about it until it drives them insane' list:

-Aladdin (Genie alone would have a ton of attachments and accessories- plus a con exclusive glow in the dark Genie)

-Toy Story (Hugs a lot Bear con exclusive similar to the OTHER con exclusive with ACTUAL strawberry scent)

-Incredibles (con exclusive Jak Jak with baby and monster version)

- Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers with their makeshift blimp (zipper would be similar to how Silver Surfer and Tinkerbell are handled as a minifig over the shoulder)

-Darkwing Duck with duck plane or duck motorcycle

-Talespin with Baloo's Sea plane

-Tron (both movies and ALL GLOW IN THE DARK/BLACKLIGHT)

I guess I'm not sure why some people don't like these because of the simplicity. They pretty much look like exact representations of the characters in the movie, that in general look very bland. You have have three kids in Jammies and three kids dressed like animals, most of which have no real opportunity for any kind of tampos etc. I like them personally and since buying products at the Disney Store for the last few years I will be extrememly surprised if these don't sell well. I think the main thing that could hurt them is not being out in time for the DVD release, but between added exposure from it being out and the ongoing success of Jake and the Neverland Pirates cartoon i think these will be received well.

Yeah, I think these figures play to some of the strengths of Minimates--fairly basic, colorful, somewhat iconic--but. . .

edit: I like the Minimate Pan, I really do ,I like most everything about him but I just get the feeling that Disney characters are by their very nature sooooooooo distinctive that just maybe the rudder needs to be pointing in a slightly different direction .....for the long term journey.

I can also see this point of view. I think you are right for many Disney characters, and one that is hurt from this set by not having a sculpted nose specifically is Hook (who I do like better as a Kubrick, though I prefer the Minimate Pan and Tinkerbell). But I think AA/DST did surprisingly well with these figures, as I always sort of assumed that Disney 'Mates without becoming, essentially, Kubricks by disregarding the core Minimate body and aesthetic would just fail completely, and these don't in my opinion. True, they all have fancy sculpted hair/hats/etc., but that's become standard for Minimates, and the faces look quite good to me.

Having said that, once they move to movies about quadrupedal, talking animals and whatnot, I'm still not convinced Minimates can really succeed without doing what they've done with the Battle Beasts. As Rob says, basically following in Medicom's footsteps, and perhaps at a certain point, losing almost all traces of what previously made a Minimate different from everything else.

Edited by karamazov80

I don't really have a problem with the likenessess, as I think AA managed to capture all the characters pretty well. My quibble is with the lack of detail on the bodies, particularly the chests. It's been a long time since we've seen a Minimate with such little added detailing, and it's jarring, I think. But let's remember: more then any other Minimate line, these are intended for children. Creating a fancy tampo for a couple of kids in their pajamas is probably not necessary, and might even be counterproductive.

I admire the lack of detail. It's more authentic to the source material. The reason there's no detail has got to be because it was never there in the first place. You have to remember that hand-drawn animation requires a limited amount of detail to facilitate the production.

However there are other Disney properties that can offer more detail. The recent CG Tinker Bell videos have more characters with some pretty elaborate costumes. Live-action franchises like Pirates of the Caribbean or Tron could translate into some magnificent sculpted pieces and tampo'd bodies.

I hope this first solicitation represents the tip of the iceberg in the relationship between DST and Disney and that we can get at least two such offerings a year.

I'm not to sold on these but i will buy them.1)Because peter pan is one of my favourite disney movies and 2)because i want to see more disney minimates.I will say it again,2015 will be great.Potc 5 is coming and if this sets do well i hope that we get more disney mates by then.So we might get potc mates and star wars mates from the new movie (and the eu,ou,pu,all of them).If we believe in the minimate fairies enough it might happen.Or i might be thinking too much into it.We'll see how these go and what the future brings.

Kostis, I agree with you, but as much as I want POTC minimates, I fear them being exclusive ONLY to the Disney store. I'd want an expansive line, similar to Ghostbusters with multiple TRU & specialty waves and lots of ships. However, the perfect release would include a couple of Disney Store exclusive 4-packs and maybe a vehicle. Just as long as it's not the only place to get POTC minimates. They never seem to do more than 2 4-packs at a time, and I want more than 8 characters!

I really want this line to succeed. BHM makes an excellent point, however. I think I'd prefer sculpted faces in a few situations where warranted, especially Captain Hook. But I guess if you do one, you have to do them all in these box sets. These are animated, standalone movie mates, so I don't need them to flawlessly mingle with my Marvel mates. So if they had went the way of sculpted heads, I would not have complained, it's all a matter of what is best for the property. We've seen enough evolution in minimates over the past 10 years and DST has not lost what makes mates special, so why do we worry about it now?

As for those debating about the lack of detail and how that lack of detail is inherent in the source material, personally, I would have preferred at least a few wrinkles here and there, either as tampos or as a sculpted torso piece.

Peter Pan is not a personal favorite for me. I would have preferred Disney went with a live-action property for it's first Minimates, but hey, it's not up to me ;) But there are a lot of Tinkerbell fans out there and that Pan-related Disney cartoon on the air right now.

I really, really hope that DST includes a poster showing all the Marvel minimates available too. If you want to introduce Minimates to a whole new group of customers or new generation of kids, you have to let them know there's more product out there to collect!

I would have like a nose tampo but not a fully sculpted head.It would look strange.For example if they ever make nintendo mates mario and luigi must have noses,sculpted or tampoed.Otherwise it will look strange and ugly.Nintndo mates would be awesome.Now that we have the short legs and arms i might buy one extra set to make a mario.

We need a third boxed set:

Tiger Lily

Slightly

The Twins

I'd also be up for a box of battle-damaged variants:

Croc-attack Dr. Hook

Smacked-around Tink

Repeatedly-stabbed Peter

Zombie-infected Wendy

Actually, a whole undead line of these characters would be great. Kids love that stuff. I mean, seriously, who here isn't already thinking of turning Wendy into a creepy Walking Dead quick custom?

And that ship looks nothing like The Jolly Roger. Authenticity isn't one of Disney's sticking points, apparently. It'll probably pass for the ship in The Little Mermaid, too, I suppose.

Will Tink come with glitter? Why is Smee lurching to his left? Are these going to be scratch & sniff?

So far, all of the Disney Exclusive Minimates were revealed rather shortly before the product was actually released, so the development would have been done months prior to the formal announcement. These Peter Pan Minimates are obviously intended to support the Peter Pan Blu-ray release, right?

Disney's new LONE RANGER movie is being released this July, and the characters would make lovely Minimates. yes.gif

Edited by youbastards

I'm not a fan of these either (I agree with Punisher about the style not translating especially on Hook) and honestly can't see parts to use for my own customs. Bravo for DST getting the Disney license and hoping this isn't a once a year thing.

Hoping we'll see more. Here's my 'fat chance it'll never happen so keep pestering Zach/Chuck about it until it drives them insane' list:

-Aladdin (Genie alone would have a ton of attachments and accessories- plus a con exclusive glow in the dark Genie)

-Toy Story (Hugs a lot Bear con exclusive similar to the OTHER con exclusive with ACTUAL strawberry scent)

-Incredibles (con exclusive Jak Jak with baby and monster version)

- Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers with their makeshift blimp (zipper would be similar to how Silver Surfer and Tinkerbell are handled as a minifig over the shoulder)

-Darkwing Duck with duck plane or duck motorcycle

-Talespin with Baloo's Sea plane

-Tron (both movies and ALL GLOW IN THE DARK/BLACKLIGHT)

FYI, we do not have the Disney license. We made some figures for the Disney Store, who can make whatever Disney products they like. (See: their awesome Incredibles figures.) So please do not pester Chuck, or me, or Ask DST for Aladdin Minimates; it is not in our power. You can pester the Disney Store, if you like, but I think the only thing that will convince them to order more Disney Minimates is if these sell well.

We made some figures for the Disney Store, who can make whatever Disney products they like. (See: their awesome Incredibles figures.)

So. . .DST will make anything Disney wants, and will pay for?

They're one of our biggest customers, and we would be thrilled to tackle any of their properties, so more or less, yes. In this case, they wanted Pan product for the Blu-ray release, and we were the only company that could deliver anywhere close to that time frame. (Okay, we missed it, but we came VERY close.)

Heck, we've even done concept art for things that never went forward, but would blow your mind.

We made some figures for the Disney Store, who can make whatever Disney products they like. (See: their awesome Incredibles figures.)

So. . .DST will make anything Disney wants, and will pay for?

Heck, we've even done concept art for things that never went forward, but would blow your mind.

So, what you're saying is now that when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs, I have to decide between a pilgrimage to either the Lucasfilm Archives OR DST's offices?? Damn...

I think they all look Great! The bright colors and facial expressions are awesome. I would buy more Disney related minimates for sure.

Is there another Disney BluRay or aniiversary coming up? Beast Vs Gaston would be cool. Palace Guards from Aladdin. Cartoon Robin Hood. All the Dwarves. Dumbo,to scale.

You could do Wreck It Ralph and that could include the Street Fighter license to finish out that roster.