UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Aliens and Lost in Space!

Random Thoughts:

- Alien army dump is a no-brainer.

- I do NOT want a load lifter that dwarfs the requisite Alien Queen because someone doesn't want to ruin the Minimate aesthetic. dry.png The Alien Queen needs to be HUGE.

- Looking forward to the Robinsons landing on LV-426 and Dr. Smith getting his final comeuppance.

- Bishop and B-9 are gonna make hot robot love, baby, YEAAAH!

- Newt, please! In my version she takes off in the Jupiter 2 instead of winding up dead on a penal colony.

- I've had the Lost in Space theme playing in my head since I first read this announcement, dammit!

- Can we get some Lost in Space and Alien emoticons around here? thanks.gif

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost in Space... well, good luck. It's a fifty-year old TV show that's better remembered for it's campiness then quality. I honestly don't think there are enough Lost in Space fans in the world to make this line fly (pun intended).

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. And it's not like the market is saturated with merchandise for this property. I don't expect it to have a particularly long life but if I get the main cast (eight characters) and maybe the Chariot, I'll be thrilled and anything else will be icing on my sci-fi pop culture cake.

chariot15.jpg

Seriously, who wouldn't want this vehicle? It's got drapes! DRAPES!

If only we had the DC licence sarcasm-1.gif

Lost in Space... well, good luck. It's a fifty-year old TV show that's better remembered for it's campiness then quality. I honestly don't think there are enough Lost in Space fans in the world to make this line fly (pun intended).

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. And it's not like the market is saturated with merchandise for this property. I don't expect it to have a particularly long life but if I get the main cast (eight characters) and maybe the Chariot, I'll be thrilled and anything else will be icing on my sci-fi pop culture cake.

chariot15.jpg

Seriously, who wouldn't want this vehicle? It's got drapes! DRAPES!

But no trunk......check out where the suitcases are rolleyes.gif

The robot in Lost In Space(LIS) was known as Robot B-9 although I'm not sure anybody called him anything other than 'Robot' . The robot that starred in 'Forbidden Planet' was Robbie the Robot who also had cameos in a few other shows & movies. You knew that I guess but I'm pretty sure they never appeared in LIS together although they did appear...

Have to disagree with you on Robbie and the Robot appearing together in LiS. Robbie's the main antagonist in "War of the Robots", a first season episode. I know this because it's my favorite episode of the series, and the source of my love of all things Robbie the Robot.

(Robbie also appears in a third season episode, but the less said about that, the better)

Edited by Glantern

Well, there's a thing! Seems like sometimes you go to sleep for a night and when you wake up all manner of exciting things have happened!! I'm pretty excited for both of these although oddly enough I think I'm in the minority who are actually more pleased about lost in space. Something about the obscurity and it's place in tv sci-fi history just kind of appeal I guess...

The robot in Lost In Space(LIS) was known as Robot B-9 although I'm not sure anybody called him anything other than 'Robot' . The robot that starred in 'Forbidden Planet' was Robbie the Robot who also had cameos in a few other shows & movies. You knew that I guess but I'm pretty sure they never appeared in LIS together although they did appear...

Have to disagree with you on Robbie and the Robot appearing together in LiS. Robbie's the main antagonist in "War of the Robots", a first season episode. I know this because it's my favorite episode of the series, and the source of my love of all things Robby the Robot.

(Robbie also appears in a third season episode, but the less said about that, the better)

I'm extremely happy to be wrong thumbsup.gif

-Robbie the robutt's mate

Edited by buttheadsmate

Have to disagree with you on Robbie and the Robot appearing together in LiS. Robbie's the main antagonist in "War of the Robots", a first season episode. I know this because it's my favorite episode of the series, and the source of my love of all things Robby the Robot.

I'm extremely happy to be wrong thumbsup.gif

-Robbie the robutt's mate

I'll be even happier if we actually get a Robby Minimate!!

And as for the main cast, I prefer them in their more colorful casual outfits compared to the silver jumpsuits. At MM scale, I prefer more color variation, and all silver would look boring. BUT that said, I'll still buy them all, and I'm not even a fan of the show! I just love the designs and I always support DST when it comes to classic Sci Fi and Horror properties!

Of course, if DST wants to just give us a few Forbidden Planet 4-packs, well, even better!!

I reeeeeeeeeeally hope it the classic Lost In Space we'll be seeing and not the movie remake.

I'm incredibly excited for BOTH of these new properties... But classic LiS is really gonna win out if we get the snazzy vehicles too! It'd also be neat if we got enough characters in silver space suits to head-swap and put them all in those uniforms.

And yeah, I loved that episode with Robby too! I'm really hoping we get to see him made as well. Excited for B9 as it is!

Edited by Mystery Man

Joshua, I will send you DVDs of these movies if need-be, but you must see them. Try to forget as much as you can about the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad AVP movies and be prepared to have your mind blown by the awesomeness of Alien and Aliens.

As for alien variants, you could do blue and brown variants (since they look different in different lighting, etc.). You can also have battle damaged variants. But apart from that, I agree that you are fairly limited with what you can do unless the license is expanded beyond the film.

Some ideas:

Wave 1

Ripley with leather jacket/Apone

Hudson (alternate "game over" head)/Vasquez

blue alien/Burke

variant blue alien/cocooned Burke

Wave 2

Hicks/Crowe (or one of the other lesser Marines)

Gorman (alternate bandaged head)/Ferro (using Minimate Max parts)

brown alien/Bishop

variant brown alien/battle damaged Bishop

Wave 3

Dirty, angry, no jacket Ripley (some variation of this would be released with the power loader)/Newt

Frost/Drake

battle damaged blue alien/Wierzbowski

variant battle damaged blue alien/Spunkmeyer

I reeeeeeeeeeally hope it the classic Lost In Space we'll be seeing and not the movie remake.

I'm incredibly excited for BOTH of these new properties... But classic LiS is really gonna win out if we get the snazzy vehicles too! It'd also be neat if we got enough characters in silver space suits to head-swap and put them all in those uniforms.

And yeah, I loved that episode with Robby too! I'm really hoping we get to see him made as well. Excited for B9 as it is!

The first page says "1960s series"....

And the prospect of a Robbie the Robot minimate is beyond cool. This may also be the first minimate line that my Dad's a completist of. He's a huge LIS fan

Here's my second confession of the day: I've never seen any episodes of Lost In Space. Also, I kind of enjoyed that crappy movie that went by the same name, although all I can remember of it are the creepy robot spiders. I'll buy whatever they make, but I'm pretty clueless to the franchise.

I know I'm losing a lot of geek cred here, but I can't pretend to know what any of you are talking about.

I'm not sure I've actually seen an episode of Lost in Space either. See what I'm talking about here? It's not exactly a super-strong franchise.

I'm glad that, if DST could only get the license for one movie, it's Aliens and not Alien. While I like the first one well enough, it's basically just a monster movie with sci-fi trappings (and yes, it's a good one). But Aliens is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. Might have to watch it tonight.

Why in the world would they get LiS? Does anyone even remember that show, let alone like it?!

Aliens. Not my cup of tea, but I'm still pretty excited. Didn't like Alien, but Aliens 2 was pretty fun.

EDIT: Also, 4 pages in 12 hours. This is the only downside to Toy Fair.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

WHOA! Imagine if we can get a Facehugger that we can clip on ANY minimate we own!!! I think...I think I just soiled myself! I would army-build the hell out of Facehuggers!!

Also, DST has HAD the license to Lost in Space, along with Star Trek and other CBS properties for a while now. I started a thread about it over a year ago. Glad they're finally getting around to it, simply because I like the designs even though I don't watch the show.