UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Aliens and Lost in Space!

Anyone think the Aliens line will debut with a SDCC preview 2-pack? Or is it too early? Maybe something thrown together that doesn't need new parts - like Burke and Gorman.

As far as the 2.5" rule - it seems like BB Gruntos may have broken that one already, or come close.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see an exclusive pack. . .assuming non-attendees will be able to get them easily/cheaply. Burke/Gorman would be an awesome, non-essential way to start, though maybe a Ripley variant of some kind would be a better seller.

I think the 2.5 height limit is strictly for the Marvel license. Although DST/AA seem reluctant to resurrect the 3" bodies for perhaps aesthetic reasons? At any rate, they have been able to do cool stuff with plus-sized appendages/legs/etc to really "stretch" the 2.5 buck, so I'm just going to assume awesomeness however they decide to design the Queen.

As far as the 2.5" rule - it seems like BB Gruntos may have broken that one already, or come close.

Chuck's "2 inch Minimate Rule" is based on the current Minimate skeleton, not the actual height of the Minimate. He means they aren't going to develop Minimates that won't be compatible with the current skeletal body design that was created for Marvel, so both the original 3" skeleton (Tower Records, KISS, etc) and the 2.5" skeleton ( Lord of the Rings and some DC) are done, and no new body structures will be incorporated "as long as he is in charge". He also recently mentioned that he thinks the 3 inch molds have been lost, and there are no plans to replace them.

Going by those statments he has made, the only way we will get a Queen is if:

A) She is based on the current Minimate body, but with additional sculpted pieces to give additional mass and height

2) She is a larger, less-articulated sculpted figure, that is designed to look like a Minimate, but would classify more as a "vehicle"

C) Chuck completely disregards his prior statements and feels the ALIENS license is important enough to develop a new larger Minimate skeleton.

Edited by youbastards

I'd take a less-articulated "vehicle" Queen. Her shoulders & hips could be cut joints. Also be cool to have an opening jaw & a mouth stalk. But at least the arms & legs could be like the vehicle doors or wheels. Minimal, but still useful & better than a statue.

I think something along the lines of the recent Venom transformation head would be neat- but with (sculpted) goo dripping from it's mouth and a solid black head underneath for the exposed sections.

The kubrick Powerloader set quick review:

The Powerloader itself is very well made and fairly robust with some great articulation including 'working' hydraulic rams & hoses to the rear ......it is however bloody sad in every meaning of the word that its robotic knees & elbows aren't movable ......criminal .

The 3 smaller Aliens have a device on their heads that allows their tongue-thingies to emerge from their mouths......that's great but their heads don't swivel at all & their legs & arms are typically inarticulate rolleyes.gif

The Queen has no tongue & her head & body are just one piece ,she's quite impressive but her legs & feet are just hideous reminding me of some big fat mommas thigh length leather boots sick.gif

Note well though that Minimate legs & arms will fit simply onto kubrick ball-joints.....didn't know that did you ?

Ripley is OK but if you don't like kubricks you won't like her.

The 4 eggs are pretty awesome .....I'm being serious.....they really are.

In conclusion I can easily see DST coming up with something far superior to these & TBF to Medicom these aren't the best kubricks by a long chalk . The Powerloader will take some beating unless the hydraulics get ditched into a one piece moulding which I'd stomach if we get some articulated legs & arms.

The Queen Minimate may be where this all goes t*ts up if we get a 2" version .....I've worked out how we could get a big one quite simply without special moulds but nobody pays me so I'm not saying how thumbsup.gif

Edited by buttheadsmate

Thanks everyone; I think I am buying.

NOTE: "buying" above was autocorrected from "biting" on my iPod. Either works :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

So, I bit[/b] negotiated on the auction BHM shared. 20£ shipping, 10£ off. About $105 shipped. What a great deal! I opened the set up last night and am very impressed.

The only issue I ran into was that Ripley's foot holes are too small for the pegs on the loader. Not a huge deal, since she is very far from Minimate quality to use in the thing. Right now I have Andrea piloting the power loader, although I had to give her Lori's hair for her to fit in the cockpit.

I cannot wait for the official Minimate release of Aliens!

@Zach: Does the license include the extended Director's Special Edition version? That could give us Newt's family and that cool vehicle. It would also allow for the Alien/Prometheus Engineer ship. Also, will we possible see the crew from the Nostromo? They are all shown on the screen behind Ripley in her hearing after her ship is found. That should be at least enough to include them, since we got Reese/Flashback Arnold from the T2 license. :D

• 3 weeks later...

@Zach: Does the license include the extended Director's Special Edition version? That could give us Newt's family and that cool vehicle. It would also allow for the Alien/Prometheus Engineer ship. Also, will we possible see the crew from the Nostromo? They are all shown on the screen behind Ripley in her hearing after her ship is found. That should be at least enough to include them, since we got Reese/Flashback Arnold from the T2 license. biggrin.png

I believe any footage shot for the film is included, even if it wasn't used in the original theatrical release. I do not know if that includes slide presentations. So as far as other crews/casts go, we may have to see how the main Aliens cast does.

Any news on either the Lost is Space or Aliens fronts? Will we be seeing prototypes at SDCC?

I hope we'll show some LIS at C2E2. And hopefully Aliens will be finalized by SDCC.

Hooray for Lost in Space news! bunny.gif

All I need is a couple Alien 4-packs for the original crew:

Ash

Brett

Dallas

Ripley (w/ Jones)

Parker

Lambert

Big Chap Alien

Kane (w/ chestburster)

If I want to get greedy, I'll ask for another set with Dallas, Kane, and Lambert in spacesuits with pods and facehugger accessories. cool.png

If I want to get stupid greedy, I'll ask for a Narcissus with Ripley in spacesuit. banana.gif

Get greedy, this needs to be done! Although I'd probably say we need an Alien in each pack for balance (difficult as there's just the one). Perhaps a version with the inner jaw extended.

I'd be happy with a swappable jaw or an alternate Big Chap with the Narcissus.

I expect the Aliens line to be mostly 2-packs with Colonial Marines paired with a variety of Xenomorphs but the original film could be tackled with three 4-packs and a vehicle, as far as I'm concerned. Aliens has a bit more longevity thanks to a bigger cast, costume changes, and army building critters. That's a much greedier list. pirate.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if they will give the aliens an extra chest piece to make the ribs and onther organs and have those tube things on their back. I actually hope they don't do that, because that will probably make the aliens look to fat. It could somehow ruin the design, just like it was ruined for the Terminator endoskeletons minimates.

Anyway, that's my opinion. When it's about minimates, I'm really no fan of to mush extra parts if it can just be painted on.

I agree about the Terminator Minimates. The endoskeletons were supposed to be exactly that; skeletons. There was no need for additional sculpted parts because that made them look bulkier than their flesh- and costume-covered counterparts. Strip those Terminators down to their metallic bones and the figure should be smaller, not larger.

However, the Xenomorphs are a different animal. I'm expecting to see a significant amount of sculpting on these an can't wait to see how AA has addressed the design challenges.

Yeah, in general I'm a "less is more" guy when it comes to Minimates. There will have to be some kind of compromise with the Aliens though, considering that, at the very least, the head, tails, and spike things on the back will have to be sculpted on. Presumably they will have (new) claw hands. But the endos went too far, particularly considering they were supposed to be robotic skeletons and not bulky armored creatures.

I'm glad that I'm not alone on this matter. Maybe they could make a whole new chestpiece insted of something to put on a regular chestpiece. That way they can keep the slim design of the xenomorphs and minimate in general, and also make the fans who want more detailed minimates happy aswell.

One solution they have used a handful of times in the past is giving us both a sculpted chest part, and a tampo on the body block with the same or similar design on it. That way, if you want bulky and sculpted, you have it. If you want slim and Minimate-like, you can go that route as well. Great example being the Hydra army builder:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=808&n=Hydra+Agent

Seems like I haven't seen that in awhile though, probably due to cost considerations.

Edited by karamazov80

I think in the case of Xenos that a half chest-piece will work given their height. The bottom half of the torso can serve as the slender abdomen. Also with the phlange and tubes on the back, A chest-piece (ribs) will almost certainly be neccesary. Think of "battle beasts" and I think we have a pretty good idea of how they can be executed.