UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thor 2 coming Nov 2013, Will we get minimates?

monkeycrumb

I think, when you work in the industry, you've just got to accept that spoilers are a part of the job. It's probably a pretty good trade-off for knowing what's going to happen before everybody else does.

Back to the conversation about doing second waves of movie 'mates... didn't they do that for the first Wolverine movie, after the first ones did surprisingly well for TRU, and didn't they pegwarm? I could be misremembering. But, if not, that was probably a lesson learned.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a synopsis several months ago, but it had certain major spoilers removed. I could tell they were gone, and what they might be, so yes, most of the movie had been spoiled for me when I finally saw it a month or so ago. But I got a thrill out of reading it, so there's that. I got similar thrills from reading Winter Soldier and ASM 2, but I'm still dying to see them, because they sound like they'll be really good. I have not read Guardians of the Galaxy or X-Men: DOFP.

There were some things that we weren't allowed to reveal for Thor 2 until today, but I think the big one was that our Select Jane comes with an alternate head. Wish we'd made a Minimate of her, but Selvig's fun, too.

1389749_198930856956886_1701974482_n.jpg

(Anyone else see a Walter White Minimate in Zach's post?)

As someone who also works with these movie properties, I get a little spoiled when it comes to story surprises but I also get spoiled by getting to visit places like Skywalker Ranch so it all balances out. I've actually tried to avoid spoilers in the past but it's almost impossible, even when I'm more involved with art than editorial.

But thanks to some recent leaks, licensors like Marvel are only giving out what they really need to and only to those who need it most. So while I'm designing some product for The Winter Soldier today, I know as much about the plot as the rest of you, possibly less since I avoid internet spoilers. I'm even going into The Dark World relatively spoiler-free tonight with my Loki-loving daughter. (And then I'll have to buy her a Loki Minimate. biggrin.png )

The Dark Elves look like evil pandas. Maybe it's just me.

And "still a ways off" just bolsters my argument about not needing the release of the toys to coincide with the release of the film. I think you get a stronger assortment and a much better feel for what consumers want if you wait until AFTER the movie's been released. I know that means almost certain death to most mass market retailers but it's not like any of them took it anyway.

Isn't there a way to get a complementary 4-pack in a case like this?

After seeing this movie, this wave DOES make sense. I think it covers every character but one I would have wanted (who would have been at TRU anyway so they tried) so yeah, winner winner chicken dinner!

but then again Darcy called the Hammer “meowmeow” again and I laughed like a f**king madman, so what I liked about the movie might not mesh with others... this whole series could just be Darcy, Underpants Selvig, and 6 empty slots and I’d have still bought a full set and being happy as sh*t.

I just got back from seeing the movie myself and all I'll say is that I think TRU might be kicking themselves just a little by betting against this movie. It's doing very well overseas and if word of mouth continues here in the States, it's going to have a heck of a run. I know big box office doesn't always translate into big revenue at retail but I do know my daughter wants to get her hands on as much Loki merchandise as she can.

Looking forward to whatever 'mates from The Dark World I can get my hands on. thumbsup.gif

We planned and designed the assortment thinking it would be at a major retailer, so the film release had to be a target. When that changed, we weren't going to change the release date just so we could redesign all the figures. Sure, we missed the film release in this case, but if we'd waited until now to pin down the line-up, we wouldn't have even made the DVD release.

Should only be another month or so. They're on their way.

I'm not blaming DST, Zach. I understand the hand you're dealt as a licensee and a manufacturer and know you made the best out of a challenging situation. I'm just thinking radically about waiting until more info and assets are available to make decisions about assortments, movie debuts be damned.

It seems that the specialty market is far more forgiving when it comes to such timelines (considering it's a very different, far more patient consumer) and with DST's unique and valuable distribution channel into that market, maybe it should be taken to its fullest advantage when it comes to movie-based product.

In other news, I ran into TRU today (shoppers everywhere!). Nothing new in terms of Minimates unfortunately.

But I couldn't help noticing that all they have to promote The Dark World is two pegs of Hasbro's Thor figures, Thor's "helmet" mask, and the 12-inch Thor "Titan" figure. Not much of an assortment at all.

That said, what was there wasn't exactly flying off the shelves. People were stocking up on a ton of Batman, Spider-Man, and TMNT.

I feel like there are some major characters missing from the assortment, but as has been said, they would have been in the TRU wave so I dont blame DST, and I enjoy the ones we are getting a lot

my ONE gripe is Malekith, he looks good but 1. I feel his skin is just a tiny bit too human, it may have been an artistic choice but in the film his skin is very pale before his scar and almost completely grey during the final act. and 2. his eyes, they just look like human eyes rather than the creeptastic elf eyes

also Im not entirely sure why Darcy comes with a laptop, its a cool accessory but it doesnt make a whole lot of sense seeing as she could have come with the gravital spikes or the phase meter or the anomaly machine. Im also not sure why she isnt wearing her coat or her hat seeing as she wore that almost the entire film

these are minor gripes and I am still very much wanting this set but I feel there are some odd choices within it

Edited by undeadpool

Well, we made a Jane last time.

Kurse we didn't get reference on in time.

Darcy is pretty great in the film, so I'm glad we made her. Selvig is a lot of fun.

I wish we'd made Frigga!

Bummer. Would've liked a Frigga too! Although it's hard to argue against these choices. Thor, Loki, Malekith, and Dark Elf are givens. Darcy and Selvig round out Thor's merry band of human pals. Heimdell doesn't round out Thor's Asgard buddies since we never got the rest of Warriors Three, so I guess I would've taken Frigga over Heimdall, crazy as that is to say.

I feel like there are some major characters missing from the assortment, but as has been said, they would have been in the TRU wave so I dont blame DST, and I enjoy the ones we are getting a lot

my ONE gripe is Malekith, he looks good but 1. I feel his skin is just a tiny bit too human, it may have been an artistic choice but in the film his skin is very pale before his scar and almost completely grey during the final act. and 2. his eyes, they just look like human eyes rather than the creeptastic elf eyes

I do agree he does look a bit off from his look in the film BUT... I'm rather glad. Because it'll really help my quick custom 9th Doctor.

Saw the movie yesterday, so happy they kept the humor that the first movie had!

I loved it, easily one of the best Marvel Studios films to date.

FUTRU.gif

One of the best things for me was the look of the film. Alan Taylor might just have a nice career ahead of him now. After seeing this I really REALLY REALLY want him to direct The Chronicles of Prydain.

I knew at SDCC that TRU passing on this movie was going to be bad and tried to get the ball rolling on a postcard campaign to TRU.

Zach, this is really one of those occasions where you should use whatever influence you have and bend Chuck's ear to get working on another wave or couple of boxsets to time a release with the Blu-Ray/DVD release (Probably right before Winter Soldier gets released).

I'm guessing you guys already have the designs for the lost TRU Wave (Frigga, Odin, Fandrall, Hogun), so that just leaves designing Kurse and then filling in the remaining spots with as little new tooling as possible. Maybe make it a unique 6 Minimate boxset (similar to the Hall of Armors) and offer it as a C2E2 exclusive!

- Kurse/Algrim (While Kurse would be all new tooling, Algrim could be mostly part reuse from Malekith/Dark Elf with a new face tampo)

- TRU Frigga

- TRU Hogun

- TRU Fandrall

- Thor (Battle Damaged with translucent powered up Meow-Meow and alternate bare arms)

- Asgard Jane Foster with alternate head

I really think the demand for more Thor 'mates is there, and would love to see you guys flesh out the line as much as possible.