UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thor 2 coming Nov 2013, Will we get minimates?

monkeycrumb

Without boring everybody rigid & sounding like a know-it-all (which I'm not) the main problem with Minimates & mismatched colours is always when a painted part is in proximity with a moulded unpainted part . Moulded unpainted parts generally have a glossy sheen to them whilst most painted Minimate parts have a matte or shall we say less glossy sheen .Lithographically printed Pantone books which are the ones used in the spec.sheets always specify Pantone colours prefixed with a 'c' which denotes that they are the standards for 'coated' papers.....simply speaking they are the standards for glossy colours which ain't gonna match with matte-finish colours or less than glossy finishes.

What confuses me is that this DP is apparently completely painted but not apparently the right red?

I'm not stirring here I'm actually trying to help.

Really curious about your previous comment, but are there TWO separate pantone guides? Your previous comment made me think that the different Provinces had their own pantone guides. Are you saying they don't correlate between provinces, or than one pantone number might be one shade in one province and a different shade in the other province?

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

monkeycrumb : The Pantone system is the industry standard for colour matching & is basically an index of specific colours along with a recipe of how they can be mixed from base colours . Each Pantone book contains two sections ,'uncoated' & 'coated' ,quite simply each section is identical apart from the fact that one section is printed on gloss (coated) paper & the other on matt (uncoated) paper. This simple fact can dramatically affect what the colour looks like to the naked eye . Another factor that often gets overlooked is the local light......what is perceived in daylight can often look way way different under electric light,even 2 different types of bulb can alter things . Specific colours need to be compared under the same lighting conditions to match them.

Regards Minimates the process used is partly alien to me because the ink/paint used is opaque rather than transparent so quite how anybody can match colours properly with a Pantone system that is produced with transparent inks is beyond me & any expertise I might have. Somebody somewhere is mixing these coloured inks/paints to attain a match & whatever equipment they are using ultimately relies on their expertise & just how somebody can match a paint to a coloured plastic is just incredible as in 'not credible' .

Edited by buttheadsmate

"'clever' might be achieved if 2 Pantone books were involved ......one in Timonium & one in the Quangdong Province factory..... preferably new ones with the same 'sell by date' that match. For those that might not know ,Pantone is a colour- matching system."

Thanks for the clarification. The quote above was what prompted my curiosity.

I dont know about print colours for magazines, but I spent 10 years in a custom car,/bike shop an all I did was weld, build an hit stuff with hammers and the colour system we used then was house of kolour as a base but even then everything was tweaked.

what this has to do with print colours is that stuff could look great but you wouldnt know till you hit it with natural light. Sunlight just picks out crap., Im not artistic in any way but as a punter paying money I would look for flaws in work. So if I could find it so could someone else.

Wow! I just read the LRG Battle Beasts review that YouBastards posted the link for.

As painful as it is to read any criticism of Minimates, they are pretty spot on in a lot of cases. It's a lot of the same issues I had with Halo. Halo gave me my first brush with buyers remorse regarding MM's. I suspected this would be the same case with BB and it looks like it is. Anything over-engineered for MM doesn't stand up as well as regular mates. There are a lot of problems with anything non-standard when it comes to staying in place, with both fit quality and plastic used.

I can't expect Lego quality due to the enormous costs involved with the precision Lego requires, but the LRB review was a "truth hurts" painful review.

I'd guess no. One of the few consistent complaints I have with Marvel movies is they abandon their headgear at the first available opportunity.

We are definitely not using the same molds we were when we started, molds wear down with time and we have made improvements and corrections over the years. Our latest mold corrected an uneven leg issue.

I can't speak to the quality of the plastic, but I know the team knows the difference between gloss and matte. The original concern was about color, and I'm sure difficulties exist when trying to match colors between painted parts and parts made out of different types of plastic, difficulties that don't exist in the printing world. But I'm sure the addition of a little BHM to the mix would work wonders.

Now that this thread has gone off topic, rather than start a new one, I want to ask Zach if we might see X-Men Days of Future Past Movie minimates??

I can't remember if this has been asked anywhere else, but this movie is shaping up to be something mindblowing! So more movie X-Men minimates sounds good. I know that the First Class wave went on clearance, so not too sure if that hurts the next movie's chances.

Zach?

We are definitely not using the same molds we were when we started, molds wear down with time and we have made improvements and corrections over the years. Our latest mold corrected an uneven leg issue.

I can't speak to the quality of the plastic, but I know the team knows the difference between gloss and matte. The original concern was about color, and I'm sure difficulties exist when trying to match colors between painted parts and parts made out of different types of plastic, difficulties that don't exist in the printing world. But I'm sure the addition of a little BHM to the mix would work wonders.

So, here's a question. Most of the hip pieces since day 1 have had a slightly longer back then front. But TRU Wave 10 actually had wider hip pieces to allow for a greater range of motion, and no little hang down on the backside. But they were quickly scrapped and never seen again. What happened to that mold and why wasn't it used?

• 2 months later...

A Diamond Select Release! Designed and Sculpted by Art Asylum! The Mighty Avenger is back in a new movie from Marvel Studios, and DST has an all-new series of Marvel Minimates to go with it! The assortment includes four different two-packs, including Thor with Malekith, Loki with Heimdall, and two short-packed, specialty-exclusive sets: Selvig with a Dark Elf and Darcy with a Dark Elf. Each Minimate stands 2 inches tall and includes a variety of interchangeable parts and accessories.

Heimdall!

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC11976&mode=retail

Now that this thread has gone off topic, rather than start a new one, I want to ask Zach if we might see X-Men Days of Future Past Movie minimates??

I can't remember if this has been asked anywhere else, but this movie is shaping up to be something mindblowing! So more movie X-Men minimates sounds good. I know that the First Class wave went on clearance, so not too sure if that hurts the next movie's chances.

Zach?

That movie is very far away. But TRU is getting Wolverine movie 'Mates, so unless those tank, I imagine we'll look into it.

So, here's a question. Most of the hip pieces since day 1 have had a slightly longer back then front. But TRU Wave 10 actually had wider hip pieces to allow for a greater range of motion, and no little hang down on the backside. But they were quickly scrapped and never seen again. What happened to that mold and why wasn't it used?

I'll ask Robert.

I'll ask Robert.

To be fair I just noticed that wave 48 has no "back flap", but they still don't have the same hips wave 10 had.

Maybe we read too much into this stuff?

Zach mentioned that Frigga was getting a 'mate, so i am surprised she isnt in the LCS wave.

Since this wave is following the standard variant with an army builder packout, it is a safe bet that Thor/Malekith and Loki/Heimdall will also be at TRU.

Hopefully we are getting Fandral and Hogun this time, and their costumes are similar to the first movie to match Volstagg.

Would Frigga be a TRU exclusive? That doesn't seem likely...it wouldnt make sense to get another Jane Foster or Odin either, unless they have very unique looks.

Sif looks to play a larger role in this movie, could we see another 'mate?

I would bet we see a Thor variation too.