UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thor 2 coming Nov 2013, Will we get minimates?

monkeycrumb

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And am I the only one that thinks Sif is like a billion times hotter then Jane Foster? I spent the whole movie thinking "what is wrong with you, Thor?"

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/god-blunder-why-thor-chose-wrong-woman-dark-073013928.html

Jaimie Alexander would be perfect as Wonder Woman. I said as much back in 2011. Sif rocks!

And am I the only one that thinks Sif is like a billion times hotter then Jane Foster? I spent the whole movie thinking "what is wrong with you, Thor?"

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/god-blunder-why-thor-chose-wrong-woman-dark-073013928.html

Jaimie Alexander would be perfect as Wonder Woman. I said as much back in 2011. Sif rocks!

Yeah, she'd be excellent. I dunno, I'm fine with Portman, but I'll never quite forgive her for how bad she was in the Star Wars Prequels.

THAT DRESS THOUGH.

Yeah, she'd be excellent. I dunno, I'm fine with Portman, but I'll never quite forgive her for how bad she was in the Star Wars Prequels.

I disagree. Portman is awesomely talented but poor writing and directing wasted her potential.

It's weird, Jaimie Alexander would be a fantastic Wonder Woman, but I have such little faith in Warner Bros.' ability to make great DC universe films, that I would almost rather her continue to be a supporting player as Sif than to see her risk it all for something that may not even go anywhere, because I still think it's better for her in the long run to be in movies that are actually good and successful than to risk it all and have it fail. Maybe she could do both, but I have a feeling that if she became Wonder Woman, Warner Bros. would put a stop to Thor for her in a hurry.

I'm only against Alexander playing Wonder Woman because she's already played Sif. Hopefully Marvel Studios has more plans for her character (maybe in the inevitable Loki spin-off).

I'm just tired of so many actors playing SO many different roles in this genre. Please don't tell me there isn't another tall, gorgeous brunette out there who could play the Amazing Amazon.

I disagree. Portman is awesomely talented but poor writing and directing wasted her potential.

Star Wars is a great story poorly told.

Lucas is NOT an actor's director. He hires very capable people across the board and then squanders their talent by smothering their creativity with his micro-management. Even Hayden Christensen was an award-winning actor before falling into the Star Wars pit of performer waste. Portman's proven her ability since then but also had a pretty decent resume prior to playing Amidala.

Star Wars is a great story poorly told.

Lucas is NOT an actor's director. He hires very capable people across the board and then squanders their talent by smothering their creativity with his micro-management. Even Hayden Christensen was an award-winning actor before falling into the Star Wars pit of performer waste. Portman's proven her ability since then but also had a pretty decent resume prior to playing Amidala.

True. But it's not like Portman was a novice going in. Ewan McGregor and Samuel L. Jackson all managed to bring some life to their roles. Even Hayden Christensen is actually pretty darn good in Episode 3. Portman's just terrible throughout. Don't get me wrong, she's generally a fine actress, but she's really a drag on all three films.

I dunno. Maybe in Asgard brainy science geeks= statuesque warrior maidens in the fetish category.

That scene was just weird and uncomfortable.

If that's a setup for the tone of Guardians of the Galaxy then I'm beginning to question it. But I believe the reason it WAS so strange is because it was in such a different movie with characters who CLEARLY didn't belong there. A whole movie that works like that could be pretty good. But a sudden scene the f**k outta nowhere... yeah that doesn't work.

I think part of the problem with this scene is the editing. It stayed focused on certain shots for way too long, which gave it a tv-movie-like appearance. It also didn't match the quick editing style of the rest of the movie.

True. But it's not like Portman was a novice going in. Ewan McGregor and Samuel L. Jackson all managed to bring some life to their roles. Even Hayden Christensen is actually pretty darn good in Episode 3. Portman's just terrible throughout. Don't get me wrong, she's generally a fine actress, but she's really a drag on all three films.

There are some turds you just can't polish. Lucas can't write decent dialogue to save his life. Even his contemporaries agree his strength is in the editing suite.

Amidala's role, while pivotal, wasn't very fleshed out. She was little more than a feisty incubator for the twins (who weren't even born in the right order). I doubt any actress would have been allowed to give that character the depth and range she deserved.

Look at Jar Jar. Ten years pass between the first and second episodes so animators initially made his mannerisms more mature and befitting his new title. You know, character development. But Lucas literally retarded the character and wouldn't allow his to grow beyond being that bumbling idiot who lucky to survive at all.

Harrison Ford famously managed to stand up to Lucas' horrible dialogue back in the day. The problem since ROTJ is that Lucas got too big for his britches and by the time the prequels came, was surrounded with so many fans (Sam Jackson included) that they didn't dare question the Emperor's new robes, so to speak.

So I can't blame young Portman, a girl who was certainly capable but still making a name for herself. Star Wars was her way of paying dues. Critical success would have to come from somewhere else, and with far better material and collaborators.

Lucas can't write decent dialogue to save his life.

I don't like sand. Its rough and coarse and it gets everywhere. Not like you. Your skin is soft and smooth.

GREATEST PICK UP LINE

I don't like sand. Its rough and coarse and it gets everywhere. Not like you. Your skin is soft and smooth.

GREATEST PICK UP LINE

The first line Anakin should have used upon seeing Padmé again ten years later was his original pick-up line: "Are you an angel?" That actually would have been sweet, kind of like an inside joke between the two. They could have shared a laugh.

But no, let's make the guy look as much like a creepy, obsessive stalker as possible. Chicks dig that.

I always thought it was creepy that Amidala was a grown woman in Ep 1, and Anakin was a little boy. I know that Portman was playing younger, and that the age difference between the two characters was only supposed to be 3-4 years, but still. Would it have been too much trouble to cast an older Anakin in Ep 1? It's not like Jake Lloyd was any good. I maintain he's the worst part of the movie... YES,EVEN WORSE THEN JAR-JAR. *ducks*

Natalie was only 14 when she filmed, and, as far as I know, the character was supposed to be the same age. Anakin was 9, and that 5 year difference supposedly carried throughout the remaining movies. It'd be creepy if she returned his crush, yes, but she was just like "aw, that's cute", nothing more.

Then, when he's 19, confessing his love for a 24 year old, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I just looked at Wookieepedia: Padmé Naberrie (Amidala was a reign name, like how the Pope's name is almost never his birth name) was 8 when she got into politics, 11 when she became a senate apprentice, 13 when she became princess, and was elected queen right after that. So, she was 14. Not what I'd call a "grown woman".

Her voice sounds more mature (and terrible), because George Lucas, in his infinite wisdom (*rolls eyes*), decided she should re-record all her Queen dialogue shortly before the movie was released, when she was 16 (as far as I know, he left her handmaiden dialogue alone). Watch the theatrical trailer compared to the movie. Squeaky 14 year old voice in the trailer, deep monotone for the movie. One of my biggest issues with that piece of garbage.

Edited by TENIME_art

She was born in 1981, and the movie was released in 1999. So she was actually 18 at the time (though she was fourteen when she made The Professional, so that might be what you are thinking of). So, even though the character is supposed to be 14, the actress sure doesn't look it. I stand by creepy!

It was released in 1999. It was filmed in 1997, though, so she was 16 then, fine. The character is still 14, and the actress still looks it, lol.

Lucas can't write decent dialogue to save his life.

While the actors thought it was wonky, I present to you Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope). Some of the greatest dialogue in cinema history.

I first recall seeing Natalie Portman in 'Beautiful Girls' ...........

What a beautiful girl she was & is. wub.png

I hear she married a millipede ? ohmy.png

Regards Natalie Portman's age .......I'm well aware that in the film 'Beautiful Girls' she plays a thirteen year old (but was in reality 15 ) .....just remember that in that film she plays "an old soul" (her words) & she plays that role superbly .

Edited by buttheadsmate

While the actors thought it was wonky, I present to you Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope). Some of the greatest dialogue in cinema history.

Which had a LOT of uncredited help from his friends. Scorsese, DePalma, Coppola, and Spielberg were among focus groups with almost every draft while Willard & Gloria Huyck re-wrote the final screenplay. They were brought in specifically to rework the dialogue.

Early Lucas was a true collaborator. After TESB, he started working in a creative vacuum... and I think it shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Which had a LOT of uncredited help from his friends. Scorsese, DePalma, Coppola, and Spielberg were among focus groups with almost every draft while Willard & Gloria Huyck re-wrote the final screenplay. They were brought in specifically to rework the dialogue.

Early Lucas was a true collaborator. After TESB, he started working in a creative vacuum... and I think it shows.

Everyone just needs to check out The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story by J.W. Rinzler. It should be on every fan's shelf.