UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hasbro Star Wars Black series

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am so beyond pissed I missed it at HTS.

Last year, they posted exclusives a week and a half later, and posted them twice (once Wednesday, again Thursday).

This time, they did it bright and early Monday morning after the con, and I didn't know until Wednesday. :(

And the regular Boba (but I wanted the Carbonite Han) is pre-sold out at BBTS. <_<

I could have sworn last year was Monday. (But i do remember it going up several times)

This year was definitely either Tuesday or Wednesday at noon, because i did not work Monday and they went up when i was working. Missed them regardless, but i had already ordered the Thunderbolts from eBay.

Grabbed a Darth Maul from eBay too, he should be here this week. I want Bespin Luke, i don't want R2, and i don't want to start army building Sandtroopers, so for now he's all i want. Not a big prequel fan either, but Maul is a highlight and supposedly the best of the wave. I'll wait for regular Boba.

Now, when can i get Wave 2 Han and Bespin Han?

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Yeah, I think it was Tuesday they went up. It was much, much earlier then last year, so I can understand your frustration, Ten. If it makes you feel any better, Boba reportedly sold out in about five minutes. I know, that probably doesn't make you feel any better.

I'll definitely be getting Darth Maul and Luke from wave 1. I was on the fence about the Sandtrooper, but now that I know we'll be getting a regular Stormtrooper in short order I will probably pass. R2 I will probably pick up, if only because he's R2-freaking-D2. I hate paying 20 bucks for small figures like that, but he's a goddamn legend.

For wave 2, I'll probably only be getting Han and Boba. I'm not big into Slave Leia, and I'm not a big enough Star Wars fan to want minor characters like Greedo.

The head sculpt on the wave 3 Luke doesn't look great, but I like the rest of the figure. I'll most likely to be getting that whole wave (I'll probably at least get the Jedi from the prequels). Should be one more figure to be revealed though, right?

These have started to show up. I decided to go on a toy run tonight, first in ages, and after striking out at two Targets and a TRU decided "I'm too old for this" and put in a preorder on Amazon. Hopefully they'll be shipping soon. Everyone that has the figures in hand is raving about them.

I think the current legend surrounding R2's suckiness is that one of the other licensee's complained? And as a result, Hasbro downgraded the figure to be less "prop-like". (??Kotobukiya?? perhaps?)

I've really been on the fence on these. A 6-inch SW line was a dream for years, but the crappy exclusiveness of the SDCC Carbonite Han really ruins this line for me. Then I saw the wave 2 & 3 stuff. Crap, that Han Solo looks fantastic!

So, I have a new plan: I'm going to pass on paying scalper rates on Carbonite Han, and just eventually 3D print one! I have the 12-inch Sideshow one and more than a few 3 3/4-inch ones, so surely I can one day scan, resize and print a 6-inch scale one!

The (unofficial) word out of San Diego is that Carbonite Han will be available at retail at some point. Personally, while it's something I want, it's not worth it to me to pay a high premium for, or to have haunted Hasbro Toy Shop for days, or to have tried to buy one in San Diego if I was there, but that's just me. It's certainly a cool accessory, but it's not enough to make me forgo the only Star Wars figures I've ever really wanted (well, since I was 10, at least).

I'm interested to find out what my reaction is when I actually see these on the pegs. There has been a positive reaction so far, but it's more like teenage girls at a Bieber concert than an actual reasoned response to the product. I haven't been blown away by the pictures I've seen online so I wonder if those faults will be more or less obvious in person.

Yeah, my LCS got these in on Wednesday, and they weren't terrible in person, but they didn't seem worth the price really. Some of the 3.75" Lukes from the last couple of years even look more Hamill-y to me than this one. But then I've never been bothered about scale. I'll just stick with grabbing the occasional figure from the smaller line, or what's left of it.

Found Luke and the Sandtrooper, at last (if you're looking, hit Target. They seem to be the place to go right now). I wasn't planning on picking up the Sandy, just waiting for the regular Stormtrooper in wave 3, but when I saw him I couldn't resist. They are just great. I've never been a Star Wars collector, but this is the Star Wars toy line I've been waiting for.

He means the little ones. I can't even see Ventress in the 6 inch line, let alone Plagueis.

I've already broken my set rules with this line.....

I bought Pilot Luke. I bought R2 for full retail. I bought 2 Sandtroopers. I'm waiting on a Boba Fett i paid out the ass to arrive. And so far, they're all perfect. Goddammit Hasbro. God. Dammit.

In for the long haul for this one. Someone just start whispering for Bespin Han, Lando, Dooku, and Palpatine in Hasbro's ear...

I share in your sentiments Two-Face. I stopped buying SW figures a few years ago with no real intent to go back, but I'll be damned if Hasbro hasn't pulled me back in with the new 6" stuff. Pilot Luke and the Sandtrooper just arrived from Amazon. They're so awesome! I was fighting the urge to get an R2, but I'll probably be tracking one of those down shortly. I've also got wave 2 preordered, and I'm looking forward to Luke and the Stormtrooper from wave 3. I absolutely draw the line at prequel characters, though!

Anyway, here's a few shots of Luke and the Sandtrooper

Sandtrooper.jpg

LukePilot2.jpg

Sandtrooper2.jpg

And just for fun:

LukeampStormtrooper.jpg

(This pic also made me realize that the only 3 3/4" Stormtrooper I still had was my vintage one. Odd.)

I've gotten the whole wave and I love 'em. It was a lot of fun to have Luke fight Darth Maul (if only it weren't Luke in his pilot's outfit...), and I love standing them next to my Marvel Legends and DCUC figures. I'll never understand why it took them so long to do Star Wars in this scale. Star Wars Legends. Seems like a no-brainer. It's really nice to have a new series to fill the void left by DCUC. Now, when the hell does series 2 ship?

This really will be a nice filler to DC next year, good call.

Maul was the first i got because of great early reviews, and he exceeds them. Amazing figure, great imposing look on the shelf; you can definitely hear Duel of the Fates when you look at him, and that's from someone who hates a majority of the prequel material. But Maul pushed me to not wait for Han and Bespin Luke, and here we are.

I guess it depends what you're comparing these to. I've picked up Darth Maul and the Sandtrooper and compared to DCUC, MOTUC, or ML they probably could be called amazing. Compared to my personal expectations based on what Hasbro does with the 3 3/4" figues I'd only call them good. I'm definitely not picking up tiny R2 and the human face sculpts just seem too soft for me to get excited about Luke or the upcoming Han.