UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hasbro Star Wars Black series

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After collecting hundreds (thousands?) of 3 3/4" figures since 1978, I have no interest in adding larger figures to my shelves.

That said, if I were in charge of Hasbro's Star Wars line, this is the direction in which I'd take it. With this scale you can have all kinds of detail, articulation, and accessories. I've often pictured something like a Definitive Luke Skywalker figure with enough accessories to go from Tatooine farmboy to princess rescuer. Include all the hats, helmets, weapons, and whatnot to make it the only ANH Tatooine Luke you'd ever want and watch them fly off the shelves.

The only problem with the scale would be vehicles and playsets. A landspeeder? Possibly. An X-wing? Probably not. A cantina? Maybe as a collect & connect over the course of years.

Looks like they're competing with Barbie as far as the labels go. Pretty cool. Nice to know I can have a single definitive version of each character. But at $20 they'd better make the paint apps look as good as those on that mockup. Because I'm not paying that if I'm not in love.

Also, the Fwoosh exploded today. Toxic radioactivity is expected to kill millions.

Well, that pretty much confirms the direction they'll be going with the 3 3/4" line; it should be back to 5 POA in no time.

I'll be impressed if these actually manage to be as good as the press photo. Definitely priced higher than I'd like, but I think action figure fans have conclusively proven that we don't actually care about price as much as we claim.

I'm actually kinda surprised by this. Everyone is moving towards 3 3/4" scale. They're cheaper, easier to produce and quicker to sell. I wouldn't be so shocked if they only make 10 or so of these Black Labels a year.

Now, VOTC? I can see that phasing out. But by no means will this replace 3.75" figures. They've been too profitable for the past 35 years.

Also, the Fwoosh exploded today. Toxic radioactivity is expected to kill millions.

I just imagine it did.

My guess is they are going to use ML bucks where they can to keep the tooling cost down, otherwise it's an overdue idea. Not that I'll be jumping onboard mind you, but they certainly look cool.

You know, really I can't see them doing that many. The main characters, the droids, secondary characters, troopers. But not anyone without lines or serious screen time. I don't see them streaching this out into every single bloody character. I've been wrong before though.

How can they NOT have Vader in the first wave??

I pray they have better distribution than the 3 3/4" line!!

Give us a wave with Vader, Boba Fett, a Stormtrooper and Han Solo and I'd buy a case!

But for the wave 1 Sandtrooper, I really hope the gear is removable to make a regular Stormtrooper. One can never have enough regular Stormtroopers, and I don't know why Hasbro is so obsessed with the Sandtroopers these past several years.

But $20 for the 6-in scale R2-D2??? There better be some more goodies packed with him to make R2 a better value at that price.

I understand going with the Sandtrooper over a Stormtrooper if the gear's removable. Hell, include (Joe Johnston) Spacetrooper gear and Hasbro will only ever have to re-release this one figure for all three variations.

And yes, that Artoo had better come with tons of accessories. It can't just be a figure with moving legs and a spinning noggin. At this price it had better have opening doors and extending arms and all sorts of attachments from ALL SIX movies.

Vader's going to need cloth goods. Lots of characters will and that will be easier to do ina larger scale.

Generally 6" is my preferred scale and i havent been able to collect any Star Wars figures due to my dislike of the smaller scale so for me this is brilliant.

I recently payed £20 for the DCC New 52 Batman so the price tag doesnt put me off too much, as long as the quality stays as good as it looks in these pictures.

However i do think I'll stick to the bare essentials, a decent farmboy Luke, Boba Fett and maybe a Vader

I don't see the line having nearly as much character variety anyway. They'll stick to the most popular characters (main or fan faves) of course. If they treat this like a scaled down version of Hot Toys, with interchangeable hands and such, it'll thrill. Based on the X-wing pilot Luke, though, I'm only seeing a couple accessories and no alternate hands or head.

Should be a fun Toy Fair.

• 3 months later...

so disappointing. It will be like a bunch of bronies chasing after Derpy Hooves.

Sometimes I see something posted that I don't understand, and I think to myself, "hmm. . .I wonder what that means? I would really like to know." This thought does not pop into my mind reading Webhead's post.

Usually Transformers, GI Joe or Marvel sells out the fastest. The fastest Hasbro ever sold out was the Starscream Skystriker... Until the MLP Derpy. They sold out of their stock within hours on the first day. HTS sold out in 15 seconds on Monday. It was insane.