UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Collectibles Poll

Nessex

DC Collectibles is, once again, turning to Facebook for it's Q&A fodder.

We have made a LOT of requests to AA/DST bout DC Minimates. I think our case is well known by Chuck, Zach & co. Lets start targeting DC instead. They're the guys who really need to know that there is passion in the collecting community for Minimates.

The request for a response on DC Minimates is currently doing reasonably well in the current Poll, but i'm sure we can get it even more attention.

Pop on over to Facebook and add your vote if you'd like to see DC Minimates back. And remember, even if you're not a huge fan of DC, the attention that a name like DC would bring could help open up the door for all sorts of other franchises to be Minimated.

.... Also, i want to be able to have Iceman fight Mr Freeze.

Im telling all my classmates, those guys are in love with Minimates as well!

There's a comment at the end of the DC Collectibles Q&A this round:

"Those are our questions for this installment, but seeing as how this is the first Ask DC Collectibles for the year, let’s go ahead and address another question that comes up pretty regularly. Fans ask us about Minimates pretty often, but we’re sorry to say that there are no plans for DC Collectibles to get back into the Minimates category. D’oh!"

From here:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/01/30/ask-dc-collectibles-january-30th

Bastitches!

It just seems so... dumb. There's clearly a market for them, they're a proven winner at retail, and they'd go so well with all of the other Minimate licenses. I don't understand. are they just being contrary for contrary's sake?

At this point, I think yes they are just being contrary, or there is some really bad blood with DST? Maybe they just view Minimates as a "Marvel" vehicle, on top of the fact that DST makes other Marvel products, that they feel DST are an outright competitor to DC products. Aside from the DC Minimates licensing agreement, has DST EVER produced anything DC related?

Well, there is also the matter of price. Maybe they see Minimates as too small of a price point for them to make a profit on. Aren't their 6" figures starting to approach the $20 mark now? I just think it's the dumbest answer to say that people keep asking for something, but they're not going to make it. I guess as much as a bunch of people want to give them their money, they just won't take it. And meanwhile, a customizer in Hong Kong can consistently sell DC custom Minimates for $30-$35 on ebay. Maybe DC Collectibles should hire him since he seems to understand how to take people's money.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&item=150987451841&pt=US_Action_Figures&_osacat=0&LH_Complete=1&hash=item23278dadc1&_ssn=venom113jp&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=DC+custom+minimates&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Zach, c'mon, level with us. Obviously an arrangement like before, where DCD contracts with you guys to do Minimates is never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen again, ever. What's the issue with DST just picking up the license like with Marvel and handling it all on your own? Is DC's licensing department in general declining to grant you a license? With all of the toy products out there carrying the DC brand, I don't understand how your money isn't as good as, say, Mezco's.

It just seems odd to me that all parties involved recognize an obvious desire for DC Minimates, but flat out... don't want to do it, I guess?

Edited by Lobsterman

At this point, I think yes they are just being contrary, or there is some really bad blood with DST? Maybe they just view Minimates as a "Marvel" vehicle, on top of the fact that DST makes other Marvel products, that they feel DST are an outright competitor to DC products. Aside from the DC Minimates licensing agreement, has DST EVER produced anything DC related?

Someone's being contrary.

I read something a while ago on Facebook that led me to believe that bad blood between DC and AA went all the way back to Digger. I don't recall the specifics but that was the impression I got.

As for viewing Minimates as a Marvel vehicle; no more than LEGO or Funko or Hot Toys or Squinkies. Seems like someone at DC/WBCP has blacklisted AA/DST from ever getting a WB license.

And it really isn't just about the DCU license. DST can't even get rights to a WB property like Thundercats unless it's as a third-party licensee. The closest AA's ever come that I can recall is with Lord of the Rings and that was through WB's sister company, New Line.

I've mentioned before that WBCP licenses certain properties seperately. If The Powers That Be really wanted DC Minimates on the pegs, they'd be offering DST the rights to everything from Young Justice and The Brave and the Bold cartoons to Arkham City and Injustice: Gods Among Us video games.

If DC fans really want Minimates, I'd seriously recommend a Kickstarter campaign. Get enough cash together to get a DC property from WBCP for Minimates and hire DST to develop, manufacture, and distribute the line. Worst case scenario: You'll learn why DC Collectibles isn't interested in DC Minimates based on their experience doing it as DC Direct.

Now I remember. Back when Digger did the Batman: New Times video, he did it without DC's permission. That's a pretty big no-no, especially for a licensee.

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Digger back in January 2012 courtesy of some guy named Jeff at Portrait of an Addiction:

"Shortly after this DC was giving us heat about Batman Begins; they wanted us to make sure any and all signs of 60's bat campiness were erased from the planet Earth. We did Batman New Times with DAVE School completely without permission. This was before the majority of the fan films you see on the net and we were trying to get them to sanction this killer DAVE School Batman animation. They told us NO."

Some might recall that AA had put together Minimates designs specifically for Batman Begins in anticipation of continuing the license. While AA intended to move forward, apparently DC/WB did not.

• 6 months later...

Mattel certainly seems to be struggling with the DC property. I was shocked to see them FINALLY going back to 4-inch figures with more than five points of articulation. The Green Lantern, Dark Knight Rises, and Man of Steel figures in that scale sucked hard. Maybe the DC Collectibles video game figures got their attention.

In any event, DC Collectibles can't grant licenses. And even they don't have the kind of influence that a major retailer does.

I think anyone who wants DC Minimates should be pestering Toys R Us for them. Contact their customer service, tell them how much you love Marvel/Walking Dead/Star Trek Minimates but that you an/or your kids would REALLY like DC Minimates. TRU's corporate buyers have relationships with the folks at Warner Bros. Consumer Products and can put some pressure on that end in the form of financial incentives.

So who do we need to sleep with to get them to release a special set for the new Flashpoint movie?

geoffrey-giraffe1.jpg