UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Popular Properties You Just Don't Want

I have to add Street Fighter vs. Tekken and Battle Beasts to my list. Glad that fans of those franchises are getting their 'mates but they don't really do a thing for me beyond potential custom fodder.

Still, I might buy them on clearance specifically for certain parts so at the end of the day, even franchises I have zero interest in might end up as part of my collection in some way.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the generic stuff like Minimates MAX. One thing I love about minimates is the they are based on other properties so as long as it keeps minimates going I am ok with whatever they do.

I for one would love to have MOTU and Star Wars!

I think that one of the strengths of the medium is team/army building. The size & playability make it great for large casts of characters - so i would probably be less interested in properties that had a small cast. Things like Voltron come to mind.... while i'd love Voltron.... i don't think i'd want them without their vehicles. In fact, i'd probably rule out Any of those great 80's or 90's series that were heavily reliant on vehicles (MASK, Power Rangers, Mighty Machine Men, Tansformers, etc... )

I think that one of the strengths of the medium is team/army building. The size & playability make it great for large casts of characters - so i would probably be less interested in properties that had a small cast. Things like Voltron come to mind.... while i'd love Voltron.... i don't think i'd want them without their vehicles. In fact, i'd probably rule out Any of those great 80's or 90's series that were heavily reliant on vehicles (MASK, Power Rangers, Mighty Machine Men, Tansformers, etc... )

Great point, but something like Centurions seems especially well suited.

• 1 year later...

Adding anime to my list. While I appreciate animated films and television shows, I just never got into any anime. Maybe I haven't seen one I like and it's a shame to dismiss an entire genre just because of a handful of disinteresting properties but, well, there it is. No anime Minimates for me.

I will preface this by saying, there will probably always be something I would like in any line, and I don't want DST to, not not make anything (not sure of the grammar on the double nots, lol) There are some things that are often talked about that i could just care less about.

So, here it goes..... Aliens. They look really good, but sadly still don't get me excited enough to start collecting them.

some other popular stuff I don't want...Star Trek, firefly/serenity, Dr.Who , any TV shows like Arrow, true blood, or whatever the new popular show of the year is.

The biggest shock for myself is Star Wars... I love the movies (even the new ones) , but when there is talk about them, I just don't get pumped about it, like I feel I should. I can't explain it, I've even tried to talk myself into it by putting it on some of my wishlists.Out of all of the stuff i wouldn't want, I would still collect the shit out of these because of the love I have for the characters and films, even the clone wars animated series.

The biggest shock for myself is Star Wars... I love the movies (even the new ones) , but when there is talk about them, I just don't get pumped about it, like I feel I should. I can't explain it, I've even tried to talk myself into it by putting it on some of my wishlists.Out of all of the stuff i wouldn't want, I would still collect the shit out of these because of the love I have for the characters and films, even the clone wars animated series.

You're not the only one, I feel the same way. Star Wars so permeated my life when I was a youngun that it is literally part of who I am. But yeah, I think over the course of the last 15 or 20 years, the unrelenting march of SW stuff, from the prequels to the books to the video games and the entire expanded universe, to Clone Wars, and now this new Rebels show, it's taken away some of the specialness for me. Like the old saying "all good things must come to an end," so there can be some wistfulness and memories attached to it rather than it just going and going and going.

It's stopped being a property I have a visceral love for and turned into sort of an "oh, yeah, that's cool I guess." Maybe I've just made my peace with the fact that it's something different now than it was before and I don't put it on a pedestal anymore. Yeah, I'd also buy Minimates of them, but more because they're Minimates than because they're Star Wars.

The Big Bang Theory.

F*** that terrible show.

It's not funny. It's not remotely believable. All the characters are offensive stereotypes.

One of my friends once called it "nerd blackface", which I whole-heartedly agree.

When I meet someone who likes it (or find out someone I already know does), my respect for them drops significantly.

I would certainly NEVER date anyone who enjoys it. Kids & smoking are lesser dealbreakers.

The Big Bang Theory.

F*** that terrible show.

It's not funny. It's not remotely believable. All the characters are offensive stereotypes.

One of my friends once called it "nerd blackface", which I whole-heartedly agree.

When I meet someone who likes it (or find out someone I already know does), my respect for them drops significantly.

I would certainly NEVER date anyone who enjoys it. Kids & smoking are lesser dealbreakers.

Thank you Tenime. People are always so stunned that I don't like this show. "But you're into all that stuff"...yeah, sure, whatever. It is not about stuff I like.

I greatly dislike the Big Bang Theory as well, though I've not seen more then a few minutes. Frankly, there's not a single show on CBS I watch. I spend all football season saying "that show's still on?" during every commercial break and promo. CBS sucks.

Anyway, we are in the process of getting my #1 least wanted property right now: View Askew. I can't stand Kevin Smith and have either disliked (Clerks) or outright hated (Chasing Amy, Dogma) every one of his films I've seen. I've decided to just ignore them, and stay out of the View Askew thread, but MAN do I hope they fail big time.

Edited by hellpop

Regards Star Wars ....I could care less about the movies but I just love the kubricks ......well most of them . Minimates have trumped (does that translate stateside ?) just about everything else kubrick has produced but Medicom kubricks aren't typically kubrick-like in many respects & Minimates would really have to go some to better them .

I'm not a Who fanatic .....but I do like the show . I'm not too fussed about getting masses of Who characters but I would kill....yep kill....for an army of Minimate Daleks .

I would say that any property that relies on civilians, indistinctively dressed ought not be considered for Minimates . The Expendables box sets .....which ironically I,personally, loved ......are a perfect example ,well executed with great facial likenesses .....but once they're out of their packaging -" who the f*ck are they ?" a few months up the road . '24' was the same , there are one or two people waxing lyrical about them but WTF are they once they're out of the package ? Minimates are brilliant but they only have the 2" to cram in the personality & each part needs to convey it ,pull the head of Jack Bauer & you're left with "some guy" ,pull the head off any Marvel Minimate (for esp.example) character & most people would still recognise the headless

Minimate.

Black & white Minimates of any licence or description is IMHO a waste of a Minimate .

Edited by buttheadsmate

The Big Bang Theory.

F*** that terrible show.

Oh God yes! I'm so tired of people saying "You like super heroes (or comics, or toys) you must love the Big Bang Theory." The response in my head is always "F you and F that terrible piece of sh*t show." The response I usually give is "No." Outside of the show just being awful and unfunny, I just can't watch any show with a laugh track.

(TENIME, you should definitely date people with kids. Kids are awesome. And Mom has a history of putting out)

Here's the thing. BBT used be alright. When they thought they wouldn't make it past season 1 or 2, it was decent. But then they started making money, got really popular, and it turned into this parody of itself, making fun of the very people it was intended to appeal to. It is mocking nerds, like a jock pulling his pants up high, bucking his teeth and going "hyuck! I'm a dork!" But on television, and more subtle.

Minimates have trumped (does that translate stateside ?)

Yes.

Anyway, we are in the process of getting my #1 least wanted property right now: View Askew. I can't stand Kevin Smith and have either disliked (Clerks) or outright hated (Chasing Amy, Dogma) every one of his films I've seen. I've decided to just ignore them, and stay out of the View Askew thread, but MAN do I hope they fail big time.

I can't say that I'd ever hope for any of DST's products to fail ... but I'm with you in regards to a distaste for all the View Askew stuff (and also anything by Tarantino). But I will say that Kevin Smith writes some good comics, and Tarantino is great with dialogue.

I'll be completely honest in that I hadn't a clue what View Askew was when they were announced........I'd seen Dogma ,maybe on a plane journey or something .

On the other hand I wasn't entirely happy (story of my wife life?) when Chef Duff 'mates were announced but they are amongst my favourites nowconfused.gif

I hope they fail big time.

So, because you don't like it, no one else should be allowed to get them?

And Mom has a history of putting out)

laugh.png

My issue is, every friend (or sibling) that has dated a single parent, they essentially become a parent themselves. I'm not ready for that responsibility yet. I've had issues dating girls with pets for that very reason, lol.

Edited by TENIME_art

I'm no role model for anybody when it comes to dating but if I can offer one word of advice ....which you are welcome to dismiss....do not initially involve yourself with anybody but the person you're dating,after time when things are working out OK take another step. Harsh ? Yep .

hellpop : Wanting a line to fail ? ohmy.png

I'm no role model for anybody when it comes to dating but if I can offer one word of advice ....which you are welcome to dismiss....do not initially involve yourself with anybody but the person you're dating,after time when things are working out OK take another step. Harsh ? Yep .

Nope. I agree.

hellpop : Wanting a line to fail ? ohmy.png

That's like saying I'm not allowed to eat pizza & donuts because he's on a diet. dry.png

I never said that those of you that like the movies can't support them (which is why I decided to keep mum about them after complaining loudly when they were initially announced), but yes, I want this line to fail. I want the orders to be poor and for these to never see the light of day. That's how strongly my distaste is for Kevin Smith and his creative output. I don't see how this makes me a bad person or a bad supporter of Minimates; we don't all have to be "rah rah Minimates" all the time. DST picked up a license that I personally find distasteful, and I'd be glad if they went away. That's all. You guys that like them-- great! I'm glad you're getting something you like. Buy ten sets, I don't care. But if the orders for the Buddy Christ/Cow thing are poor, and the set joins Tarot on the Island of Misfit Minimates, I'll be happy. What's wrong about that?

I'm certainly not saying you're not "allowed" to "eat" them. Fill up. But YOU'RE saying that I shouldn't have my own opinion of your junk food, which isn't any better. But, for the record, this is exactly why I have stayed out of the View Askew thread. Don't like them, don't want them, but to each his own (to keep up the food metaphor: It's like being a vegetarian and not going to Five Guys). But the topic here is "Popular Properties You Just Don't Want", and I think I should feel free to discuss my feelings freely here.

What's wrong about that?

But the topic here is "Popular Properties You Just Don't Want", and I think I should feel free to discuss my feelings freely here.

Nothing is wrong & I admire your honesty ......just genuinely surprised hence the emoticon in my post.

I'm all for free-speech ....keep it coming.

edit: Like I said I know little if anything about VA but I was amongst those most vociferously against Tarot (which you mention) .....once I'd read up on that.... forget it .

Edited by buttheadsmate

I dunno, considering that he wrote a "Batman once shat himself" scene, I think the quality of his comics is on par with his movies.

I must have missed that one pinch.gif

But the topic here is "Popular Properties You Just Don't Want", and I think I should feel free to discuss my feelings freely here.

That reason is exactly why I like this thread. It gives people a place to voice an opinion in a way that (potentially) doesn't ruffle feathers the way it would if it were posted in the line's own thread. I love that people have the presence of mind to come here and say "I don't care for Aliens Minimates" instead of going to the Aliens thread and saying "pass" or some such. It certainly helps to keep things civil, for exactly the reasons you listed. And I love reading this thread because it reminds me that even if I personally think a property is the coolest thing ever, not everyone needs to agree with me.

Sorry if you feel like you're being ganged up on here. I can't speak for everyone, but personally, as much as a dislike a line, I still want DST to find success. Every line or property they can't get off the ground is time (and money) wasted on their part. So my comment wasn't against you per se, just more of a 'I wouldn't want DST to get burned from this' even though I personally will be avoiding it.

It's like being a vegetarian and not going to Five Guys).

It's rather more like being one of those vegetarians who tells meat eaters he'll be happy when they all die from colon cancer.

Or, perhaps, like non-smokers lobbying to get smoking banned in public places?

Is this a situation where you're considering VA mates to be "taking up slots" that might be used in the production of something you like better – i.e., your "resources" are being taken up by something you don't want to support? Or do you just dislike Kevin Smith so much that you want him, and by extension anyone who does not dislike him, to suffer?