UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Popular Properties You Just Don't Want

Plants VS Zombies is an odd one. I like that they will likely exist, but not sure I'll run out and get them. I am always under the (possibly naive) impression that more Minimates will bring more fans, which will bring more licenses and likely more licenses I want to invest in. There will come a day when Star Wars gives in and becomes "one of us"...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plants vs. Zombies.

It's just not for me.

It's an odd, disconcerting feeling, isn't it, loving a format like Minimates so much that you think "I will buy anything they make." And then one day, no, you won't.

I wouldn't really know. I didn't come for the format. I actually hated it. Never liked block figures until someone bought a set of 3-inch Star Trek Minimates for me. THEN I was hooked.

But I never wanted them all. I've passed on a few other lines here and there. Not many, I'll admit, but I'm no where near being a completist.

What I find disconcerting is when I wait decades for a Holy Grail line like Mattel's '66 Batman action figures and the kid in you actually says, "Nah. Never mind." I still can't believe I don't own at least Batman & Robin.

There are a lot of Marvel Universe/Legends figures like that for me now. I once spent an obscene amount of money for a custom Jim Lee Jean Grey that was "ok." Hasbro finally announces one that is pretty great and I haven't even bothered to pursue it. Was it released? Did I miss it? I don't even know or care. It feels weird.

I guess we can add Godzilla to my list.

Glad others are into it but I have no use for wee versions of gigantic monsters. I have trouble enough with Sentinels and characters like Galactus. I'm certainly not going for a line made up entirely of my pet peeve.

They're in perfect scale with the Statue of Liberty and Stay-Puft. You could just have a shelf of mini-giant guys duking it out. Which is a thing I am doing.

Edited by Lobsterman

• 4 months later...

Adding Mass Effect and The Nightmare Before Christmas to my list.

I don't play video games in general so Mass Effect was never on my radar.

On the other hand I'm a fan of Burton's Disney flick but I just don't see his exaggerated character designs lending themselves to the Minimates aesthetic.

I have to say TNBC. I appreciate the film and I understand why so many people love it, but it's just not for me. I also agree that the idea of making these figures in Minimate form is quite odd. I have faith in their designers though, so I'm optimistic that these might surprise me. I never completely write off a license until I actually see the figures.

Almost everything this year is just not doing it for me. There's so many new properties that I would never buy in minimate form and the worst part is lines like Star Trek and Invincible are up in the air, instead of being expanded and getting better attention from DST. Feels like Minimates are being spread thin and there's no promises you'll ever see more than one boxset of any new or revived property while we're getting newer, questionable properties every month now.

I'm not overly keen on several of the minimated properties like Pathfinder, Plants vs. Zombies and Thundercats. But I also wasn't keen on the idea of Halo or Tomb Raider but did end up buying a fair few of each when I finally got to see them due to the pure beauty of the things - there are some truly stunning 'mates there! So I am obviously open to persuasion.

I would very much like to see more DC, Trek and Universal Monsters. Yes,I am a wide eyed dreamer.

... The Nightmare Before Christmas to my list.

On the other hand I'm a fan of Burton's Disney flick but I just don't see his exaggerated character designs lending themselves to the Minimates aesthetic.

Blasphemy! nono.gif Now we can all blame PL when we don't get an Alien Queen minimate tongue.png

Honestly the Boogieman Minimate was exactly what came to mind when I thought about how terrible TNBC might look. So far that's my least favorite Minimate design ever. I mean, c'mon. It's got a nose.

The Alien Queen already has no nose. She's meant to be Minimated.

Sorry, but I picture Jack Skellington as tall and ridiculously thin. Minimates are pretty husky. I'm not saying he wouldn't be recognizable but it would seem really, really forced. AA's execution might surprise me but it's still not one of those properties that would go on my list.