UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Popular Properties You Just Don't Want

The Speculation Thread reminded me of a topic I'd been meaning to start: New properties or themes that are on other people's wish list but not yours.

The first one that comes to mind for me is He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. This property never appealed to me and, quite frankly, I just don't get it. I'm not saying I'd quit collecting Minimates altogether if DST got to offer Prince Adam, Man-at-Arms, and all his other homoerotic buddies but I certainly wouldn't be counting the days to their release. Maybe if a movie had a different take (particularly on the costumes) I could get into it but for now, the old Mattel brand just ain't for me, despite the legion of fanboys this franchise enjoys.

Who else? I know there are some collectors who [gasp!] have no interest in seeing oft-requested properties like DC Comics or Star Trek return in full force. This is your chance to fly your freak flag and be the odd one out.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying I'd quit collecting Minimates altogether if DST got to offer Prince Adam, Man-at-Arms, and all his other homoerotic buddies

It's comments like this i never understand. A few guys go around in fur trunks because it's what their society accepts and suddenly it's homoerotic? And the two guys you mentioned are FULLY CLOTHED.

Is Wonder Woman homoerotic because Paradise Island is all woman who can dress however they want? Is Predator homoerotic because they all wear metal halter tops and mesh? Hell, Aliens go around fully naked, and Dragon Ball Z is men in ripped clothes screaming/moaning for a half hour at a time. Note that none of these, He-man included, are even humans, so technically they can't be "gay" anyway.

God help the WWE fans.

Anyway, i want DST to take a big 180 away from Invincible and other related properties. Never liked Invincible, never will. I'm sure there are others but none that i can think are oft-requested at the moment.

Hell, Aliens go around fully naked

Quote of the Day! but I want to add how hard is it to put on an oily loincloth!

If there's one Property I don't want DST to do it's...

My little pony...

Firstly they'd look crap as minimates and secondly DinoBot would Squeeeeee himself out of existence!

seriously though, I don't think there is anything I don't want them to do, but just because they do it doesn't mean I'll buy it.

T.

Is Wonder Woman homoerotic because Paradise Island is all woman who can dress however they want? Is Predator homoerotic because they all wear metal halter tops and mesh? Hell, Aliens go around fully naked, and Dragon Ball Z is men in ripped clothes screaming/moaning for a half hour at a time. Note that none of these, He-man included, are even humans, so technically they can't be "gay" anyway.

God help the WWE fans.

Yes on Wonder Woman, Predator, and DragonBall Z. No on Aliens. And don't get me started on pro wrestling. :sick:

Okay, maybe it's not the bondage costumes as much as that hair.

PrinceAdam.jpg

Okay, it's probably a combination of things.

I don't like Zombie horror. Never have. Never completely understood the appeal. (which is odd, because I like just about every other monster-based horror genre) So my enthusiasm for the Walking Dead line is in the deep negative.

And even as a kid, I've never cared for the sacrin sweetness of Disney movies. So while I recognize the mass appeal this has for a lot others, and admire the artistry of old fashion, hand drawn animation, any Disney based product would leave me personally cold. Well, almost any... the Black Hole had some wicked visuals despite the weak plot.

Lastly I'm not on the DC bandwagon. Mainly because what I actually want from the line, that it pick up exactly where it stopped, is ludicrously unrealistic.

Okay, maybe it's not the bondage costumes as much as that hair.

PrinceAdam.jpg

That hair... Perfect excuse to reuse the wave 9 Emma Frost hair piece if there ever was one?

T.

She doesn't have bangs. Although, she needs an update with Ultimate Thor's hair.

I'll give you that, i hate 80s Adam's hair; definitely prefer 200X and Classics.

Oh, there's a few more, Blade Runner, Firefly, and other niche sci-fi stuff. No use for it; all good films with nice followings, but they're more "Platoons" in my opinion.

The Walking Dead TV show. I've made no secret of my distaste for it. I just can't understand why that so is so astoundingly popular. It blows my friggin mind.

But something with vampired. Twilight or True Blood or something. Civvie mates with fangs, and I don't care for the source material.

My little pony... Firstly they'd look crap as minimates

Agreed.

and secondly DinoBot would Squeeeeee himself out of existence!

Also agreed.

EDIT: Really, UK? My and my sister made a full custom set of Sailor Moon Lego minifigs back in the day. I remember playing with those things with her all the time. They were really cool. I think Sailor Moon has a LOT of play value, beyond just the collector's value. Now, if we could get some new media, or re-air it like DBZ Kai...

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I remember telling my kids in class.

them: "Mr Sam! Did you see Dragon Ball Z Kai yesterday? He charged up a laser and blew up a mountain!"

me: "Dudes, when I was your age, that show took three episodes to charge a laser. Y'all have got the condensed version. I had to wait weeks to find out important stuff like plot."

Transformers - while I did enjoy the first movie, and know quite a lot of the characters, I still don't have enough passion to collect it. I don't think I ever will. It's very difficult to tell where one robot's a** ends and where one robot's head begins. I also don't see any aesthetic value to a group of robots being displayed next to each other. It's clutter for me.

G.I. Joe - thousands upon thousands of character figure iterations. While this is true for DC and Marvel characters, I just don't think the Joes are that well known compared against comic characters.

Star Wars / Star Trek - while I am a sci-fi junkie, I never really digged this franchise.

Lord of the Rings - the movies were forgettable for me. Perhaps I should take a crack at the literature.

Anime - never understood its appeal.

I can't think of anything I just couldn't stand to see made, oh wait just hit me. Jersey Shore 'mates, PLEASE never let this happen. Reality shows in general simply do not deserve merchandise, ever.

The Walking Dead TV show. I've made no secret of my distaste for it. I just can't understand why that so is so astoundingly popular. It blows my friggin mind.

But something with vampired. Twilight or True Blood or something. Civvie mates with fangs, and I don't care for the source material.

My little pony... Firstly they'd look crap as minimates

Agreed.

and secondly DinoBot would Squeeeeee himself out of existence!

Also agreed.

EDIT: Really, UK? My and my sister made a full custom set of Sailor Moon Lego minifigs back in the day. I remember playing with those things with her all the time. They were really cool. I think Sailor Moon has a LOT of play value, beyond just the collector's value. Now, if we could get some new media, or re-air it like DBZ Kai...

yea really I cant stand Sailor Moon it just doesn't appeal to me in any way whatever. I find the japanese animation overall love for young girls in uniform disturbing and creepy anyway. Like those statuettes you see in Walowitz's bedroom on Big Bang Theory. A google search for "anime statues" and one of the first images it pulled up was this PH1105933061.jpg

To me anyone who buys this is just a few steps from buying knickers from a vending machine and needing bromide in their tea

Well, Sam, the philosiphers line was always going to be a Niche market at best.

Edited by Mirymate

Yo Gabba Gabba- the most annoying kids show ever. The voices are all off key, the songs are like nails on a chalk board. DJ Lance? Please. "WATCHING PAINT DRY IS.....AWESOME!!!"

Whoops I thought this was the 'Kids TV Shows You Hate Watching" thread. :whistling: