UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Best Minimates of 2012 - Award show now on p.6

Thank you all for all the nice comments about the show. Again, I do all this for you guys (the greatest group of block figure collectors in the world). On top of the Minibar, this is one project I look forward to each year. And each year I find each show becomes a little more daunting to pull off, but the end results are well worth it. One of the biggest challenges is finding ways to keep the show fun and interesting without copying the same gags as the previous years'. So that's one reason I added Thanos to the broadcast team this year. Tell me, when you guys were reading the back and forth banter between Saref and Thanos, that the image of these two didn't cross your mind.

tumblr_lmwdcbZkz91qlyx5jo1_500.png

It didn't hit me till after writing all their dialogue and snapping their pics that Linda van Schoonhoven and Morbo were subliminal inspirations. I think they (Saref & Thanos) worked out well as a duo.

Here are some statistics on all the votes:

• MODOK held the lead throughout the voting period for Best Minimate.
  • Same goes for Spinning Mjolnir for Best Weapon Accessory.
  • The Sarcophagus and Jet Pack went toe to toe right to the last day of voting when the sarcophagus stole the lead by 4 points.
  • The highest (most consistent) amount of votes went to Marvel Wave 47. (50% of the votes cast)
  • The Thundercats beat Venom TTA by one point for Best Boxed Set.
  • Biggest Sleeper was the one category that was all over the place votewise. Protector won with only 12 points.
  • 70% of voters voted for Rhino as Best Sculpted / Bulked up minimate.
  • The three way tie for third place in Beauty Queen of the year occurred on the last day of voting.

Just out of curiosity, are there any categories you'd all like to see omitted from next year's show? I was asked to nix the Best Celebrity Likeness category during voting. Anybody else feel the same way?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some statistics on all the votes:

• MODOK held the lead throughout the voting period for Best Minimate.
  • Same goes for Spinning Mjolnir for Best Weapon Accessory.
  • The Sarcophagus and Jet Pack went toe to toe right to the last day of voting when the sarcophagus stole the lead by 4 points.
  • The highest (most consistent) amount of votes went to Marvel Wave 47. (50% of the votes cast)
  • The Thundercats beat Venom TTA by one point for Best Boxed Set.
  • Biggest Sleeper was the one category that was all over the place votewise. Protector won with only 12 points.
  • 70% of voters voted for Rhino as Best Sculpted / Bulked up minimate.
  • The three way tie for third place in Beauty Queen of the year occurred on the last day of voting.

Just out of curiosity, are there any categories you'd all like to see omitted from next year's show? I was asked to nix the Best Celebrity Likeness category during voting. Anybody else feel the same way?

I'm shocked that Walking Dead didn't do better. Not that WD did poorly, but I expected that line to dominate, and for WD series one to be a runaway best wave winner. That it was obviously not even close to the top spot, since Marvel wave 47 was so dominant, is a big surprise.

Now that you've modified the sexiest Minimate category into something less creepy, I don't really think that any category should be dropped. I guess you could make a case for celebrity likeness, but only because I don't know how many 'mates based on real people we'll see this year. Maybe just drop the 'celebrity' part?

While we're on the subject, next year I hope you add a category that BHM suggested: most innovative. That being the Minimate that best expands upon the base Minimate body. The Brood probably would have been a runaway winner this year, but Modok and that cool dog from MvC would have been in the running as well, I think.

While we're on the subject, next year I hope you add a category that BHM suggested: most innovative. That being the Minimate that best expands upon the base Minimate body. The Brood probably would have been a runaway winner this year, but Modok and that cool dog from MvC would have been in the running as well, I think.

Noted and filed.

Incredible job! Looking over these reminds me what a great year we had. You're not gonna get much of an argument out of me against MODOK winning best mate, that was a great figure. Glad to see Marvel wave 43 getting some love, I thought that was a very underrated wave.

Edited by bigvis497

Awesome work, Mini_Myte. I think we all appreciate the dedication it takes to pull this off and you do it with flying colors, man. And the puns! I don't even know how you come up with so many. As far as categories go, I think this was the best line up you've had (modified sexiest category and omission of the worst mate). Glad to see Spidey get the first lifetime award and also happy to see the X-Men walk away with best wave.

And also major props to DST - minimates of 2012 were incredible! Looking through the winners it's clear that it was a great year with some truly beautiful block figures.

The biggest shocker to me was that Kang didn't win. I thought he was supposed to be some kind of big deal here on the forums...

Wow each year just gets better and better.Amazing work and Awesome Show thank you Mini_Myte for doing this every year.You knocked it out of the park this year!!

Awesome work, Mini_Myte. I think we all appreciate the dedication it takes to pull this off and you do it with flying colors, man. And the puns! I don't even know how you come up with so many. As far as categories go, I think this was the best line up you've had (modified sexiest category and omission of the worst mate). Glad to see Spidey get the first lifetime award and also happy to see the X-Men walk away with best wave.

And also major props to DST - minimates of 2012 were incredible! Looking through the winners it's clear that it was a great year with some truly beautiful block figures.

The biggest shocker to me was that Kang didn't win. I thought he was supposed to be some kind of big deal here on the forums...

Hey, he did finish third, which is pretty darn good, and won the best exclusive category.

BTW, Miry, am I incorrect or did the much maligned Battle-Ravaged Spidey not make it into the lifetime celebration?