UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Best Minimates of 2012 - Award show now on p.6

Best Minimates of 2012

The time has come again Minimate Multiverse for your voice(s) to be heard. Voting for The Best Minimates of 2012 will soon begin. For those of you who have participated in this event before, you know the drill. For those of you new to the MMMV, here's the rundown of what you gotta do:

Posted below is a list of every minimate produced in 2012 (250 mates by my count) and the 23 categories for which they are eligible to be voted in. You will submit your top 3 choices per category (unless otherwise indicated) in descending order (first choice, second choice, third choice). The standard 3 points, 2 points & 1 point award system will be used as it has in past award shows.

I'd like to keep the results a surprise for the "big award show" in February, so please send me your votes via PM. But I know there are some of you who want to publicly showcase your picks, so to you guys, you can post them in the thread. Voting will take place starting January 1st and run all month, as many of you are still awaiting minimates released in December. Voting will officially be over January 31, 2013. Shortly afterwards I will post all the winners and losers in a grandiose awards show. And don't worry; the red carpet pre-show will make its return as well.

Here are the 23 categories you'll be voting on this year

• BEST MINIMATE (top 3 choices)
  • BEST ACCESSORY (WEAPON )* (top 3 choices)
  • BEST ACCESSORY (NON WEAPON)* (top 3 choices)
  • BEST ACCESSORIZED MINIMATE (top 3 choices)
  • BEST LICENSE* (top 1 choice)
  • BEST WAVE – Pick the wave had the best mix / pairing of minimates (top 1 choice)
  • BEST BOXED SET (top 1 choice)
  • BEST PACKAGING * Pick which packaging looked the best aesthetically (top 1 choice)
  • BIGGEST SLEEPER- "Didn't see that one coming" - unexpectedly good, an unsung hero (top 3 choices)
  • BEST VARIANT- not just a labeled variant, but an alternate version of a previously released figure.(top 1 choice)
  • BEST SCULPTED / BULKED UP MINIMATE* - That particular minimate that was adorned with an ornate sculpted head, limbs or body coverings that set it apart from the average minimate. (top 3 choices)
  • BEAUTY QUEEN OF THE YEAR* - (formerly SEXIEST MINIMATE) That one female minimate you thought was hands down the most gorgeous, kick ass, femme fatale of 2012. (top 3 choices)
  • MANLY MAN OF THE YEAR* - That one particular male minimate you thought was the most ruggedly, gung-ho, alpha male of 2012. (top 3 choices)
  • UGLIEST / SCARIEST MINIMATE (top 3 choices)
  • FAVORITE CON or STORE EXCLUSIVE -That particular minimate that was a little more challenging to obtain due to its exclusive / hard to find nature. Single mates, not pairs. (top 3 choices)
  • BEST HAIRPIECE (top 3 choices)
  • BEST FACIAL EXPRESSION- That particular minimate face you thought was hilarious, disturbing or just darn perfect for that particular character. (top 3 choices)
  • BEST CELEBRITY LIKENESS*- That particular minimate that looked eerily similar to the real life person they were based off of. (top 3 choices)
  • BEST MINIMATE VEHICLE (top 1 choice)
  • BECAUSE THEY DESERVE IT (BEST ZOMBIE MINIMATE) – Zombies seemed to be the hot commodity (pop culture wise) in 2012. (top 3 choices)
  • FAVORITE ARMY BUILDER* - The name says it all. (top 3 choices)
  • MINIMATE IN MOST NEED OF AN UPDATE* - A minimate who's been around forever but is in desperate need of a cosmetic overhaul/update. (top 3 choices)
  • LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD* - See the bottom of the list for eligible candidates. (top 1 choice)

* New / Modified category for 2012
* Returning category for 2012

Here are all the minimates released in 2012 that are eligible for voting:

Marvel

Wave 43

• Daredevil
  • Sin-Eater
  • Spider-Man (black costume)
  • Jean DeWolff
  • J Jonah Jameson
  • Aunt May
  • SHIELD Agent

Best of Marvel wave 1

• Wolverine
  • Sabretooth
  • Spider-Man
  • Green Goblin
  • Iron Man
  • Thing
  • Captain America
  • Thor

Wave 44

• Captain America
  • Iron Man (heroes reborn)
  • Thor (bearded)
  • The Hulk
  • Giant Man
  • Ant-Man II
  • Kree Sentry

Wave 45: Avengers movie

• Captain America (movie)
  • Thor (movie)
  • Iron Man (movie)
  • Hulk (movie)
  • Maria Hill (movie)
  • Chitauri General
  • Chitauri Footsoldier

Wave 46: Amazing Spider-Man movie

• Spider-Man (movie)
  • Peter Parker (movie)
  • Battle Damaged Spider-Man (movie)
  • Lizard (movie)
  • Uncle Ben (movie)
  • Aunt May (movie)
  • Lizard Trooper (movie)

Wave 47

• Dazzler
  • Longshot
  • Colossus
  • Rogue
  • Wolverine
  • Brood Wolverine
  • Brood

Toys R Us Marvel

Avengers movie wave

• Hawkeye (movie)
  • Black Widow (movie)
  • Nick Fury (movie)
  • Loki (movie)

Amazing Spider-Man movie wave

• Vigilante Spider-Man
  • Captain Stacy
  • Gwen Stacy
  • Dr. Connors

Wave 13

• Kingpin
  • Spider Sense Spider-Man
  • FA Punisher
  • Rictor
  • Boomer
  • Mirage
  • Magma

Wave 14

• Ultimate Spider-Man
  • Ultimate Captain America
  • Rhino
  • Iron Man
  • Vindicator
  • Box
  • Havok
  • Storm

Marvel Boxed sets, Con exclusives sets

Avengers boxed set #1 (Disney store exclusive)

• Kang

Avengers boxed set #2 (Disney store exclusive)

• Hawkeye
  • Grim Reaper

Alpha Flight boxed set #1 (SDCC AFX exclusive)

• Guardian
  • Puck
  • Marrina
  • Northstar

Avengers VS X-Men (SDCC DST exclusive)

• Cyclops
  • Emma Frost
  • Colossus
  • Hope Summers

Amazing Spider-Man (movie) (SDCC DST exclusive)

• Underground Battle Spider-Man
  • Underground Battle Lizard

The Mighty

• Odin
  • Spider-Man
  • Hawkeye
  • Iron Man

The Worthy

• Skadi
  • The Serpent
  • Angrir
  • Mokk

Alpha Flight boxed set #2 (NYCC exclusive)

• Sasquatch
  • Aurora
  • Snowbird
  • Shaman

Venom Through The Ages

• Venom Unleashed
  • Venom (Flash Thompson)
  • Venom (Eddy Brock)
  • Venom (Ann Weying)

Avengers VS X-Men (TRU exclusive)

• Iron Man (Phoenix Killer Armor)
  • Cyclops (Phoenix Five)
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Protector

Marvel vs http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=267&type=2&ext=380534912332&item=380534912332'>Capcom 3

Wave 2

• Spider-Man
  • Chris Redfield
  • Wolverine
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Super Skrull
  • Crimson Viper
  • Storm
  • Jill Valentine

Wave 3

• Captain America
  • Ryu
  • Dr. Doom
  • Wesker
  • She-Hulk
  • Chun-Li
  • X-23
  • Felicia

Toys R Us Marvel vs http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=267&type=2&ext=380534912332&item=380534912332'>Capcom 3

Wave 2

• Taskmaster
  • Nathan Spencer
  • Sentinel
  • FA Ryu

Wave 3

• Thor
  • Amaterasu
  • MODOK
  • Akuma

Thundercats

Boxed set #1 (SDCC AFX exclusive)

• Lion-O
  • Panthro
  • Jagga
  • Mumm-Ra

Boxed set #2 (NYCC AFX exclusive)

• Slithe
  • Monkian
  • Jackalman
  • Vultureman

The Expendables

Boxed set #1 (specialty store)

• Lee Christmas
  • Hale Caesar
  • Mr. Church
  • Tool

Boxed set #2 (specialty store)

• Yin Yang
  • Toll Road
  • Gunner Jensen
  • Jean Vilain

Boxed set #1 (TRU exclusive)

• Barney Ross
  • Trench Mauser
  • James Munroe
  • Paine

Boxed set #2 (TRU exclusive)

• Barney Ross (tattooed)
  • Mr. Curch
  • Trench
  • Booker

The Walking Dead

Wave 1

• Officer Rick Grimes
  • One-armed Zombie
  • Guts Zombie
  • Burned Zombie
  • Female Zombie
  • Dale
  • Winter Coat Dale

Wave 2

• Michonne
  • One-eyed Zombie
  • Sailor Zombie
  • Leg Bite Zombie
  • Stabbed Zombie
  • Andrea
  • Amy

Toys R Us The Walking Dead

Wave 1

• Glenn
  • Nerd Zombie
  • Shane
  • Punk Zombie

Wave 2

• Morgan
  • Zombie Mike
  • Lori
  • Zombie Terry

The Walking Dead (boxed sets and con exclusives)

Walking Dead (SDCC exclusive)

• Rick Grimes
  • Vacation Zombie

Walking Dead (Halloween Comic-Fest exclusive)

• Winter Coat Dale (B&W)
  • Female Zombie (B&W)

Walking Dead (Amazon exclusive)

• Prison Rick Grimes
  • Michonne (angry face)
  • Roamer Zombie
  • Lurker Zombie

Street Fighter VS Tekken

Wave 1

• Ken
  • Steve
  • Sagat
  • King
  • Cammy
  • Nina
  • Poison
  • Lili

Wave 2

• Ryu
  • Yoshimitsu
  • Abel
  • Kazuya
  • Chun-Li
  • Hwoarang
  • Rufus
  • Julia

Toys R Us Street Fighter VS Tekken

Wave 1

• Gulie
  • Raven
  • Zangief
  • Marduk

Wave 2

• Rolento
  • Kuma
  • Hugo
  • Heihachi

Universal Monsters

Hunchback of Notre Dame boxed set

• Quasimodo
  • Esmeralda
  • Phoebus
  • King Of Fools Quasimodo

Toys R Us Universal Monsters

Wave 3

HALO

Boxed set series 4

• Master Chief
  • Cortana
  • Prophet Of Truth
  • Jacob Keys

Boxed set series 5

• Spartan Hayabusa (Black)
  • Master Chief (phasing)
  • Spartan (Pink)
  • Spartan (Yellow)

Toys R Us Halo

Wave 4

• Spartan Hayabusa (Red)
  • ODST (Rookie)
  • Arbiter (Ripa 'Moramee)
  • Prophet Of Mercy
  • Shipmaster (Rtas 'Vadam)
  • Brute War Chieftan

Wave 5

• Spartan Mark VI (Red)
  • Spartan Mark VI (Blue)
  • UNSC Marine
  • UNSC Sergeant
  • Elite Assault (Violet)
  • Elite Combat (Violet)
  • Prophet Of Regret

Femme Fatales

Boxed set 2

• Alice
  • Medusa
  • Anne Bonny
  • Little Red

MINIMATE VEHICLES

Calico Jack

• The Vendetta with Anne Bonny (undercover)

Knight Rider

• K.A.R.R with Garthe Knight (Previews exclusive)
  • Super Pursuit Mode K.I.T.T with Michael Knight (blue shirt) (Previews exclusive)
  • K.I.T.T with Michael Knight (TRU exclusive)

The Munsters

• Munsters Koach (B&W) with hot rod Herman
  • Munsters Koach (colored) with Herman Munster

Battle Beasts

Battle Beast (SDCC exclusive)

• Vorin
  • Zik

Battle Beast Promotional Minimates

• Vorin (translucent red)
  • Vorin (translucent blue)
  • Vorin (grey)
  • Vorin (gold)
  • Stealth Vorin

Promotional Blank Minimates

• Agent 88 (red)
  • 10th Anniversary Minimate

Note: I may have neglected to name some minimates in certain waves or boxed sets, but that's because they were mentioned in a complimenting wave or set. If I have accidentally neglected to mention a minimate, please tell me and I'll add it to the list.

With 2012 being the 10th anniversary of the minimate and 2013 being the 10th anniversary of marvel minimates, what better time to hand out a lifetime achievement award. Here are the candidates eligible for the LTAA:

• Spider-Man
  • Iron Man
  • Captain America
  • Thor
  • Wolverine
  • Hulk

So look over your collections, start thinking about your choices and have fun. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks BHM. It's a pleasure to do this for the verse. :thumbsup:

And just a little FYI for some of you wondering, there will be no "WORST" categories this year. As I said in an earlier post in another thread, the majority of MMMV members votes in the worst categories have dwindled considerably over the last couple of years. Rather than run a bunch of categories nobody's that into, I made the executive decision to axe them all together. To those of you who were looking forward to them, I do apologize, but we live in a democracy and in my books majority rules. Besides, we have a ton of new, modified and returning categories to keep you occupied. I can't wait to see who comes out on top.

"MINIMATE IN MOST NEED OF AN UPDATE"

So this would be a minimate that was not released this year, for example Carnage?

It can be any minimate you feel hasn't seen the spotlight in quite some time. Two years ago Colossus and Rhino made the top 3 (actually top 4. 3rd place was a tie). Looks like there are a couple of free slots available now.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I'm curious what made the nominees eligible for LTAA?

They've stood the test of time since the minimate revolution began and they are still going strong. Come to think of it, I forgot to add Wolverine to the mix. Oops.

Interesting that you'd put Thor in there for LTAA; he was a conspicuously missing character until well into Marvel's run and we didn't really see a glut of Thors until a year or two ago.

I might have suggested Thing, who's been around since wave 8 way back in 2004...

(/peanut gallery) ;)

Just wondering: would an accessory that shows a hero's power be classed as a weapon accessory?

Cyclops Mask with optic blast for example?

What about the Teleport stand given with Kang?

I am a bit torn on the Variant cetegory this year. While i think Broodverine is the best 'Variant' of 2013... the updated Emma Frost is a true thing of beauty.

Perhaps next year we could look at having a separate Best Update category?

Yay! This is one of my favorite things to do all year. Some thoughts/questions:

-Just letting you know, I'm voting for MODOK's chair as best vehicle; I assume that it and the Goblin Glider are eligible for that category, yes?

-The "best exclusive" category specifies Cons and TRU; what about the Disney Store?

-Does the Sarcophagus count as an accessory?

-As a longtime detractor of the Sexiest Minimate category... I love your replacements! :thumbsup:

I'm sure more will pop up as I complete my ballot....

Edited by hellpop

Interesting that you'd put Thor in there for LTAA; he was a conspicuously missing character until well into Marvel's run and we didn't really see a glut of Thors until a year or two ago.

I might have suggested Thing, who's been around since wave 8 way back in 2004...

(/peanut gallery) ;)

Let's face it, Thor more than likely won't win this category. Yes he debuted later in the Marvel run compared to the others, but he has had a slew of mates done in the last few years. That's gotta count for something. ;)

Yay! This is one of my favorite things to do all year. Some thoughts/questions:

-Just letting you know, I'm voting for MODOK's chair as best vehicle; I assume that it and the Goblin Glider are eligible for that category, yes?

-The "best exclusive" category specifies Cons and TRU; what about the Disney Store?

-Does the Sarcophagus count as an accessory?

-As a longtime detractor of the Sexiest Minimate category... I love your replacements! :thumbsup:

I'm sure more will pop up as I complete my ballot....

• The best vehicle category is aimed at those mates that came with a huge honkin' vehicle. Both the goblin glider and Prof X's hover chair have won in the past, but in the "Best Accessory" category. Let's keep MODOK's chair in the "accessory" department. Besides, I have a feeling it may rank in the top 3 Best Accessories. ;)
  • I will amend the "Best Exclusive" category to include the Disney Store or any store for that matter that had a tough to find exclusive.
  • Yes, the Sarcophagus is considered an accessory, despite the fact it took a minimates place in the 2-pack.
  • Glad you like the change(s).

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Just wondering: would an accessory that shows a hero's power be classed as a weapon accessory?

Cyclops Mask with optic blast for example?

What about the Teleport stand given with Kang?

I am a bit torn on the Variant cetegory this year. While i think Broodverine is the best 'Variant' of 2013... the updated Emma Frost is a true thing of beauty.

Perhaps next year we could look at having a separate Best Update category?

• Optic blast = weapon
  • Teleportation base = non weapon

The "Worst" categories added much needed humor to this event and comradery among voters.

DST doesn't like having them, but this isn't DST's site, so seems like a move to appease the overlords and not the people.

It at least showed where improvements if any should happen.

Year of the Sheep? MiniMyte picks all the winners anyway, right?

The "Worst" categories added much needed humor to this event and comradery among voters.

DST doesn't like having them, but this isn't DST's site, so seems like a move to appease the overlords and not the people.

It at least showed where improvements if any should happen.

Year of the Sheep? MiniMyte picks all the winners anyway, right?

Um... okay. Looks like I've made somebody's shit list 12 hours into the new year. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Feel free to run the Best Of show yourself next year WookieFodder.

We talked about this in the preparty thread: Worst Minimates were dropped because few people voted in those categories. Truth is, there just aren't that many bad Minimates that deserve to be called out anymore. But if it makes you feel better... I OFFICIALLY DECLARE BOOM-BOOM TO BE THE WORST MINIMATE OF 2012. Happy?

I'm really looking forward to all of this! Thanks for hosting it once more, MM!

I can totally understand that people might be uspet because we won't have a worst-'mate-category. And you pointed out in the PreParty thread that you liked these kind of categories a lot, WookieFodder, but this

MiniMyte picks all the winners anyway, right?

was pretty unnecessary.

Let's not judge the whole thing on the sparkles that we think it lacks. Let's concentrate on the fact that this thing's going to be great. Once more. :)

I am taking WF's comments as poking fun and not really trolling... He knows better?

I like to think of the end of YR awards as a celebration of all the minimate goodness we had that year and it should be upbeat not nit picking, there are plenty of other threads for that. ( and if there isn't feel free to make one.).

As for doing things to pacify DST, it really doesn't happen. What happens is that they do something few toy companies do, they come here and treat us like adults and respect our opinions so we return that courtesy.

T.

p.s. 250 minmates... Anyone remember the year of drought where the only thing we got was 2 waves of Marvel & a couple of promos...

I'm curious what made the nominees eligible for LTAA?

They've stood the test of time since the minimate revolution began and they are still going strong. Come to think of it, I forgot to add Wolverine to the mix. Oops.

LOL! that was one of the reasons I asked, I thought maybe it was because they had hit summer movies and wolvie didn't.