UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The speculation thread

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Disney, I just can't picture DST putting out a bunch of characters that simply enough don't translate to the minimate body. But just so I'm not all ba hum bug...

Aladdin (Snarfed Abu)

Guard (power house chest piece, scimitar)

Genie (lamp base that connects to the torso)

The Sultan

Prince Ali

Jafar (Snarfed Iago, a poncho and alternate head to make imposter Jafar)

Guard (scimitar)

Jasmine

The Magic Carpet with Aladdin and Abu with excited face tampos

Don't translate to Minimate bodies? Have you not seen Disney's ridiculous (and ridiculously fun) Vinylmation line? All of there characters on Mickey bodies makes a lot less sense than Minimates.

It's gotta be Peter Pan. And that's awesome. Disney is an amazing ally for DST, the exclusives are the easiest things to buy, and the movies this could open up to are AMAZING. Hercules Minimates, PLEASE AND THANK YOU. Having seen bother Minimate and Marvel Select Disney store exclusives, and having found and bought Agent Venom today with great ease, i'm all for this. Anyone who is actually whining that Disney will kill Minimates and that this is worst thing ever is relying way too much on hyperbole and personal hatred. This is fantastic.

Bring on the Year of the Mouse.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Anybody who is serious about Peter Pan really needs to grow up.

....but Peter Pan never grew up....

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Peter Pan mates.

If it means we can get the Albion or something close, and some more pirates or pirate accessories from CJPR series 2, I'd be happy.

If it really it a Disney set, I'm interested in seeing what this could do for minimates.

I think that Disney mates could be really cool. My only hope is that we would not be inundated with them. If it is to become an on going license I would like for them to come out with like two sets a year. Sort of like they did with the Universal Monsters.

Zach is throwing you all for a loop. Its the return of DC minimates. If you take the fourth letter from each word, in Zach's post, add their numerical place in the alphabet. Then divide by three. Round up to the next highest number. Multiply it by 1000. And then spin aroun 12 times, while doing the Silence of the Lambs dance..it spells out "DC NOW."

....I really can't see how you all missed that. Geez.

Good call. Maybe that's why the father and sons line got axed so they could use it for pan's shorter kid characters.

Father's Day got axed years ago due to lack of retailer support, as well as being unable to make the molds work right. Even if it was on the table, there's no way it could have been canned to make room for this, the time gap is just too long. Besides, Chuck has said repeatedly time and again that 2" minimate body is the base body he will use so long as he is in charge. More likely we'll see a full size Tink, and then a shoulder Tink like Skeets/Silver Surfer to go with Pan.

That said, I'm with TTF. Remember that these are a child's play thing. And they will sell these as Disney Parks, who attract a wide range of customers from all over the world. That may mean it could be nearly impossible for us to snag them all, but it will also open up venues DST has never dreamed of.

And, tho whoever (don't remember) said that Disney could gobble up Diamond Distributors and DST in one gulp, that is true. But it also means the chances of ever seeing DC mates again go from improbable to impossible. WB is not going to license their properties to a Disney franchise. So let's hope that doesn't happen. :(

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

And, tho whoever (don't remember) said that Disney could gobble up Diamond Distributors and DST in one gulp, that is true. But it also means the chances of ever seeing DC mates again go from improbable to impossible. WB is not going to license their properties to a Disney franchise. So let's hope that doesn't happen. :(

That was me(speculation thread and all) and I made that SAME point that it would more or less put the final nail in the DC coffin, as Disney definitely has the Own or Crush business mentality.

That was me(speculation thread and all) and I made that SAME point that it would more or less put the final nail in the DC coffin, as Disney definitely has the Own or Crush business mentality.

Okay. See I didn't remember. So I wasn't correcting you, but rather backing you up. :biggrin:

Don't translate to Minimate bodies? Have you not seen Disney's ridiculous (and ridiculously fun) Vinylmation line? All of there characters on Mickey bodies makes a lot less sense than Minimates.

Some of those Vinylmations are great, some are ugly, and some are just creepy as hell!!

That said, I'm with TTF. Remember that these are a child's play thing. And they will sell these as Disney Parks, who attract a wide range of customers from all over the world. That may mean it could be nearly impossible for us to snag them all, but it will also open up venues DST has never dreamed of.

My Magic 8-Ballâ„¢ is no better than anyone else's but if history is any indication, collector's have had little problem acquiring Hasbro's Star Wars park exclusives thanks to online sales. Hopefully any Disney exclusives will be sold primarily through the Disney Store and their site and also at the parks.

The honest truth is that this category is such a small niche that it's barely on their radar at all. I know Disney probably wouldn't have a problem licensing DC properties through a Disney-owned DST. While Disney could certainly keep AA/DST busy making in-house product, the Mouse House made a similar mistake in 1999 when they acquired DreamQuest and shut it down three years later because they were working exclusively on Disney films. They've already said they won't make that mistake again with Lucasfilm's ILM.

Like you said, it would really be up to WB. They've licensed their product to manufacturers who make product for competitors but not BY competitors, that I can recall. A Disney acquisition of DST would probably be very bad news for DC Minimates in that regard.

That said, I think it's more likely that Disney would set its sights on Hasbro and that rumor has already been debunked. The only companies that might be interested in buying a toy company in this volatile market would be another toy company, and since DST is a division of Diamond, we're either looking at the parent company looking to unload DST or a much larger company seeking to acquire ALL of Diamond, not just DST.

Long story short: I'm not worried about DST being snatched up by any other company any time soon. Bring on the DC Minimates, WB!