UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The speculation thread

<br>No info on bases. We want to offer them, and we made a list of them. That's about it. <br><br>The Top Secret box set will be the French Resistance: Du Quois, Souffle, Deja Vu and Chocolate Mousse. <br><br>...Just kidding, I can't tell you. They're exclusives, and they're for a new license. Out next month, I think. Will hopefully announce after the holidays.<br>
<br><br>Every now and then we get some little hints at something new,a licence a boxset,a contest or something else.Usually we don't know what this licence is going to be about (movies,video games,comics) and we flood other threads with our rampant speculation.So with today's reveal about a new licence and a bag of stands i decided to create this topic.This is not a wishlist thread like "What you would like to see minimated",it's where little bits and pieces of information could be talked about without flooding other irrelevant threads.And yes,i know we could just create a topic for each boxset or wave but sometimes we know nothing about the reveal (new licence,a new move by dst) like now.And wouldn't it be better if we created the topic after we got a confirmation?That way we avoid the flooding of each section.So,if you are okay with this start your speculating engines regarding the new license.If not,delete it.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Good idea for a thread, in my opinion.)

Obviously the new license is Star Wars. With Lucasfilm being acquired by Disney and Disney being the parent company of Marvel, it stands to reason that the Mouse House wants to start getting a return on that $4 billion investment by finally allowing Minimates from a galaxy far, far away.

Or it's DC Comics.

Or maybe Invincible.

DC still seems like a stretch at this point. Star Wars though, thats starting to seem inevitable. Gods help us all. *heavy sigh* while I contemplate the need to pursue 138 different Luke Skywalker mates, ohh and the playsets and vehicles that are sure to follow, although I thought I read uncle george retained some portion of the license merchandising rights.

Edited by BannersID

The question is: is it a new licence dst has acquired or a new licence for minimates that dst already has? For example they have the rights to invincible and Star Wars (banks) but they haven't made minimates,meaning it's new for minimates but they already have the licence. But for example they don't have the AC licence which would be new altogether.

Based on what Zach said over in the Marvel wave 51 thread, and the fact that these boxsets are apparently coming out without any advance solicitation (before Toy Fair?!?), I would guess this is a similar kind of deal to Thundercats, where a third party license holder (Icon Heroes?) is working with DST for design and production and handling distribution themselves, maybe through AFX. I can't think of a time when DST themselves have gone forward with a brand new license without any kind of solicit or marketing buildup.

That scenario makes me skeptical it's a huge-deal license like Star Wars or the return of DC. Maybe something on the scale of T-cats? Silverhawks? TMNT? MOTU is the only other license listed on Icon Heroes' site, and they've said they couldn't get the rights to do 'mates from Mattel. Hmm...

Edited by Lobsterman

Based on what Zach said over in the Marvel wave 51 thread, and the fact that these boxsets are apparently coming out without any advance solicitation (before Toy Fair?!?), I would guess this is a similar kind of deal to Thundercats, where a third party license holder (Icon Heroes?) is working with DST for design and production and handling distribution themselves, maybe through AFX. I can't think of a time when DST themselves have gone forward with a brand new license without any kind of solicit or marketing buildup.

That scenario makes me skeptical it's a huge-deal license like Star Wars or the return of DC. Maybe something on the scale of T-cats? Silverhawks? TMNT? MOTU is the only other license listed on Icon Heroes' site, and they've said they couldn't get the rights to do 'mates from Mattel. Hmm...

Zach said it will be announced after the holidays and will be out before toy fair in february.It might be something simmilar to thundercats but i can't think of a line that could be completed in two boxsets.Maybe they are the set up for the real line?Kinda like battle beasts?After all marvel gained the star wars comic rights.I'm pretty confident sw mates will become a reality.Also,the walking dead were announced before comic con.They were the surpsise of the show sure but they didn't have a count down,a website or something like that.And the wd is huge.

G-Force, Guardians of Space (Battle of Planets)

g-force-6-740967.jpg

If that's the licence (or something as ridiculously 80's like that) then my wallet will be happy.

If it is something like this then my wallet will not be happy, but I will be just as excited as I was about thundercats, I've been thinking about these for years and was so bummed that the nano- men of these never happened.

I'll take any "ridiculous " 80's propery like MOTU, silverhawks, M. A. S. K. , etc.

and as much as I keep seeing Hanna Barbera stuff at toys r us, I want those to happen even more.

After saying all that, I do hope invincible happens. :-)

I like most of the 80's cartoons (tmnt,t-cats,motu,smurfs,transformers,voltron,silverhawks) but there are some i don't really like.Something about those silly costumes breaks the deal for me.

For the record, Battle of the Planets was from the 70s.

Not trying to derail this thread as my original post was mostly a lark.

Edited by pappymojo

I like most of the 80's cartoons (tmnt,t-cats,motu,smurfs,transformers,voltron,silverhawks) but there are some i don't really like.Something about those silly costumes breaks the deal for me.

For the record, Battle of the Planets was from the 70s.

Not trying to derail this thread as my original post was mostly a lark.

oh,ok then.Still,i pray for tmnt (or dc or star wars or a video game property).

Like Lobby said, it's not going to be a big-deal license like Star Wars or DC that comes out without much notice or hype. Also, if/when DST acquires those properties, they're not going to just do a box set, but full waves.

It's possible this could be a Disney property; if you notice, Disney sets are often not announce until shortly before they go on sale. Rocketeer, maybe?:yes:

It isn't with Icon Heroes. (MOTU)

It isn't the biggest toy license in the world. (Star Wars)

It isn't the return of the most highly requested license we've ever had. (DC)

It's not even one I've ever seen anyone ask for, to be honest, but I think it'll be fairly high-profile for us. I think it will only be the two sets (and one vehicle) and we're done, but hopefully they sell like gangbusters.

NY Toy Fair will bring a couple more license announcements (again, none of these), and I think those will be more in line with things people have asked for.

Disney afternoon:

Chip & dale and their blimp?

Tale spin and the sea duck ?

Darkwing duck and his duck plane?

Gummie bears??

Gold!

Ducktales and I don't give a crap what vehicle as long as I get a Gizmoduck! :thumbsup:

Zach – is it another third-party license holder situation like Icon, or is this an in-house project?

Edited by Lobsterman