UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Walking Dead Zombie Identification Thread

So, Zach said that all of the minimate zombies are drawn from actual comic zombies. I've been trying to locate them with minimal success. Here's what I've got so far:

Casual Zombie

casualzombie_zps3a4cc69e.jpg

Nerd Zombie

nerdzombie_zpsa7596e26.jpg

Punk Zombie

DSCN1616_zpsbdae44f7.jpg

Sailor (or Mime) Zombie

sailorzombie_zpsfba7f889.jpg

Lurker Zombie

DSCN1612_zps40a830dd.jpg

Cute (or Leg Bite) Zombie

cutezombie_zps1bf459d3.gif

Zombies Terry and Mike

Michonnewithpets_zps0af0c7a1.jpg

Stabbed Zombie

knifeheadzombie_zps8f53d3d5.jpg

I was thinking maybe these two are One-Armed Zombie and Female Zombie. Female doesn't match too much, but she's the first comic zombie I've seen in a mini-skirt. Aside from One-Armed's exposed ribs being on the wrong side, he seems to match.

DSCN1618_zps216b2b85.jpg

DSCN1620_zps6cf01d66.jpg

One-armed's torso block is easily reversible. Just saying.

I'm not looking to adjust the 'mates to make them perfect matches. I moreso just looking for confirmation that these are the zombies that the 'mates were based on. So far, these are the closest matches I could find for Female, One-Armed, Lurker, Stabbed and Punk Zombie. The others seem like more obvious matches.

I'm not looking to adjust the 'mates to make them perfect matches. I moreso just looking for confirmation that these are the zombies that the 'mates were based on. So far, these are the closest matches I could find for Female, One-Armed, Lurker, Stabbed and Punk Zombie. The others seem like more obvious matches.

Don't be mistaken by my post. I think you are correct in your identification. I was merely pointing out the fact that the chest block can be reversed and still look "right." There is always the possibility, and it has happened before, that in the packaging/assembly process, the torso was reversed from what the original design was. This would account for the discrepancy from the (potential) source material.

Great thread!

• 2 months later...

I picked up the Walking Dead magazine #3 today that had the Zombie Minimate Guide in it. It lists almost every Zombie from the SDCC Vacation Zombie to Series 3 There are two from series 1 (Burned and one arm Zombie) that the magazine doesn't know where they came from (and asks readers to let them know if they find them) and then there's two from series 3 that isn't even mentioned (Pole Zombie (that one's pretty easy) & Vest Zombie)

Looks like all the previous guesses here were right except for Female Zombie who the magazine lists as on the cover of Volume 5 (but I think they mean "Book" 5 (the larger TPB's) because they also say the Sailor Zombie is on the cover of volume 3 but the picture they show is from Book 3

I picked up the Walking Dead magazine #3 today that had the Zombie Minimate Guide in it. It lists almost every Zombie from the SDCC Vacation Zombie to Series 3 There are two from series 1 (Burned and one arm Zombie) that the magazine doesn't know where they came from (and asks readers to let them know if they find them) and then there's two from series 3 that isn't even mentioned (Pole Zombie (that one's pretty easy) & Vest Zombie)

Looks like all the previous guesses here were right except for Female Zombie who the magazine lists as on the cover of Volume 5 (but I think they mean "Book" 5 (the larger TPB's) because they also say the Sailor Zombie is on the cover of volume 3 but the picture they show is from Book 3

I think the female zombie is from the paperback, because she is not on my volume 5 hardcover.

I think the female zombie is from the paperback, because she is not on my volume 5 hardcover.

The only female on the paperback doesn't look like the minimate (actually has a lower jaw, wrong hair, etc...) On Book 5 you can see the top of a Zombie's head that has similar hair to the female Zombie so I'm guessing that's who they're saying the minimate is based on, Here's a pic of the two covers:

WD5Covers_zps159eee54.jpg

Here's the list of the Zombies from the magazine: They only mention the Issue number, I added the Volumes for those like me who have only collected the TPB's

SDCC

Vacation Zombie - Iss 11/Vol 2

SERIES 1

One Armed Zombie - Iss 20/Vol 4

Guts Zombie - Iss 26/Vol 5

Female Zombie - Book 5 Cover

Burned Zombie - Iss 20/Vol 4

Punk Zombie - Iss 30/Vol 5

Nerd Zombie - Iss 3/Vol 1

SERIES 2

Leg Bite Zombie - Iss 1/Vol 1

Zombie Mike - Iss 19/Vol 4

Zombie Terry - Iss 19/Vol 4

One Eyed Zombie - Iss 19/Vol 4

Sailor Zombie - Book 3 Cover

Stabbed Zombie - Iss 20/Vol 4

AMAZON

Roamer Zombie (Green Shirt) - Iss 13/Vol 3

Lurker Zombie (Sweater Vest) - Iss 9/Vol 2

SERIES 3

Dreadlock Zombie - Iss 26/Vol 5

Guard Zombie - Iss 13/Vol 3

Farmer Zombie - Iss 49/Vol 9

Vest Zombie - Iss 34/Vol 6

Pole Zombie - Iss 42/Vol 7

The magazine had pictures of the comic panels for half of the zombies. I had to guess on the issue number for the pole zombies, but I think 42 is right

Edited to include Vest Zombie, Thanx Zach!

Edited by Shogi

I think I found the Burned Zombie, I'm not 100% sure though. Here's the panel (it's from Issue 20 I believe) I colored the zombie that I think is it. I can't tell if the arm to the right of him is his left arm or another zombie's right arm (It might be his) But he has the sleveless collared shirt and his face seems close to the minimate's face

BurnedZombieColor_zps2d4de0dd.jpg

The only female on the paperback doesn't look like the minimate (actually has a lower jaw, wrong hair, etc...) On Book 5 you can see the top of a Zombie's head that has similar hair to the female Zombie so I'm guessing that's who they're saying the minimate is based on, Here's a pic of the two covers:

WD5Covers_zps159eee54.jpg

Here's the list of the Zombies from the magazine: They only mention the Issue number, I added the Volumes for those like me who have only collected the TPB's

That zombie on the cover would be a great way to re-use the afro hairpiece from the Strange Tales Blade mate! I'd buy a few! Zombie Pimp!

• 7 months later...

Looked through the first 11 TPB's I think this is the only half-torso crawling zombie with no shirt on (Although this one has no hair like the figure) There were a few others who had hair, but they all had shirts on

I also saw a few large zombies with wife beaters on but no shots through the chest

post-6276-0-52280300-1381555577_thumb.jp

Edited by Shogi

I figured both of the newest SDCC zombies were from Hershel's barn (since the whole set seemed to be from there) I think the Brown Shirted Zombie is the one that bites Arnold. The head really looks like him (although he does have long sleeves in the comic) The overalls one is clearly the one that gets shot coming up to Maggie and Hershel when he asks for her gun

EDIT: I guess I woulda known all this sooner had I 1) bought this set and 2) looked a little harder online. I didn't realize the brown shirt zombie was named Zombie Shaun and that there's control art for both figures out there that shows the very comic panels I just mentioned :)

Edited by Shogi