UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spiderman #700

MiniFiend UK

i just tend to disregard the opinions of people who say "i havent been reading spiderman for a while, but because of this im just done with marvel". I am ENTIRELY on board with this and cant wait to see where it takes the wall crawler :D

i think we will be seeing tons of great stuff out of this:

New Villains

New Allies (old villains that Spidey can now connect with)

New tensions among allies (what if the Avengers or the F4 find out!)

New Powers! (As seen in 700, Spiderman has been holding back this entire time, time for him to let loose)

oh and anyone whose read Spider-Men, knows we still have yet to see how Miles Morales fits into the 616, so this could be time for him to show himself :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the disappointment with the shock value event. But IMO this doesn't 100% qualify. Wonder Man's death at the begining Force Works was shock value, Batman in Final Crisis was shock value. This is more in line with Steve's "death" in Civil War, something planned for quite some time, with seeds going back nearly 100 issues.

And don't get too excited, UDP, again I give the status quo 18 issues max before things are restored to "normal". If Dick couldn't stay Batman, nor Wally the Flash, nor Rhodey Iron Man, nor Bucky Cap, this won't last either.

I was born and raised on "Amazing Spider-Man" issues that were my Dad's... Ditko and Romita, Sr. issues. I've read about Peter's adventures my entire life. He has always been my favorite character in fiction writing. I avoided all spoilers for this issue, other than having a feeling from Slott's previous interviews that things would change, and so I went into this with a relatively open mind. On the whole, this issue was well crafted as a whole but was very sad.

I enjoyed it for what it was and I know that Peter will eventually be back... but it's the "Mary Jane isn't really kissing Peter" thing that disturbs the heck out of me. That she thinks this is Peter and it's not... ugh. I don't like that one bit. I trust Dan Slott as a writer enough to believe that he will skate at the creepiness of this issue yet not actually go there but it still makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

I haven't been clamoring for change in comics. I don't want this kind of change. But now that it's happened, I'll try to enjoy the "Superior" books as much as I can... but in my heart, I know that Peter will return.

have you seen the new TMNT show? its pretty much the classic premise, tons for old fans and new fans....not sure what you're on about ;)

have you seen the new TMNT show? its pretty much the classic premise, tons for old fans and new fans....not sure what you're on about ;)

Also, Pun, in issue...699 i think, Peter had to face that creepiness... xD

Also, Pun, in issue...699 i think, Peter had to face that creepiness... xD

He's referring to the Michael Bay produced live action movie that was to be centered around the Ninja Turtles who would no longer be 4 mutant turtles, but 4 turtles from an alien world.

. . .nor Wally the Flash. . .

Though that one lasted around 25 years. I would consider that fairly "lasting" :lol:

I actually appreciated that DC had the balls to leave that one alone for what seemed like the long haul. I think bringing Barry back was completely unnecessary and just one more bit of evidence that nothing in comics nowadays really matters, but that's a discussion for another place.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm a big Barry Allen fan, but I'll be the first to tell you that there was no point in bringing him back. Wally was the one "replacement" character that worked over the long haul. Why mess that up? DC decided to replace him during Infinite Crisis for the sake of synergy with COIE rather then any storytelling need, then mucked things up with Bart's terrible comic, then panicked when Mark Waid's return to Wally was poorly received. They had a character that wasn't broken, but they tried to "fix", and look what happened.

I agree totally with Miry, this is a short term change that developed out of long-term planning and storytelling, much like Brubaker's Cap epic. Anybody that still falls for Marvel's hype tripe hasn't been paying attention.

I've been reading ASM since just before Spider-Island. I trust Dan Slott. I don't necessarily 'like' where the story's gone right now.

But that's ok. I didn't 'like' what Bendis did to Cyclops in Avengers Vs X-Men either.

However, I'm liking a lot what's going on in All New X-Men.

I've a feeling I know how the status quo will return and it'll be something metaphysical in nature seeing as that's how Brand New Day got started in the first place. I reckon we'll have a year of Superior, and then PP'll be back and slinging webs, only with a ruined social life to stitch back together.

I've a feeling I know how the status quo will return and it'll be something metaphysical in nature seeing as that's how Brand New Day got started in the first place. I reckon we'll have a year of Superior, and then PP'll be back and slinging webs, only with a ruined social life to stitch back together.

Yeah, and there's always something fun about watching Peter struggle with his non-hero life. As to how this gets resolved...

Despite the cute dream sequence, and visions of being reunited with Uncle Ben, Peter is going to wake up in Hell. Mephisto's Hell. Cause making deals with the devil never, ever, EVER works out well. This will somehow be discovered by Otto, and thanks to the guilt whammy Peter infected him with at the end of #700, Otto will feel responsible for getting Peter out of there. In a perfect world, MJ would be aware of Peter's fate too, since she'd also be responsible for it. Cause when Pete makes it back all shaken and hell torrtured, it'd be best if someone could share the guilt trip. This would make me happy, as I want them to deal with the negative consequences of the Devil's bargin they made.

That's my theory.

I ordered this issue from forbiddenplanet.I just hope it turns out to be of value down the road.It's the end of an era after all.As far as superior goes i addedd it to my sub list.To tell you the truth it is an interesting idea and i really can't wait to see what happens.

I would say this wont value that much so don't expect to make anything on it. Now days there has been just to many reboots, rehashes of everything for IMO any modern comic and in modern I mean anything from the 80's, 90's onward. I would even go out on a limb and say it will prob be worth less in the future.

I ordered this issue from forbiddenplanet.I just hope it turns out to be of value down the road.It's the end of an era after all.As far as superior goes i added it to my sub list.To tell you the truth it is an interesting idea and i really can't wait to see what happens.

I would say this wont value that much so don't expect to make anything on it. Now days there has been just to many reboots, rehashes of everything for IMO any modern comic and in modern I mean anything from the 80's, 90's onward. I would even go out on a limb and say it will prob be worth less in the future.

I wasn't going to sell it either way.I just want to build a good and diverse collection over time.

I understand totally that the current set up that is going to be the new comic is no way permanent and it will revert to what we all know in someway to be the norm as spidey goes in the future.

After having this bounce around in my head for awhile I think my problem with what is happening is that I actually feel uncomfortable sharing this vicious spidey with my nephew and have always enjoyed before this letting him read the spidey stuff I get. I have always thought that spidey and peter show good ideals ppl can relate too, as in the power and responsibility bit.

MiniFiend - can I recommend checking out Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (Volume 2)? It picks up the story of a new Spider-Man and has been a pretty strong read overall (the United We Stand crossovers are easily the weakest of the series).

As for this "change", I'm not sure what Marvel is thinking and I don't think the Clone Saga comparisons are even close. With the Clone Saga, we got a character change that brought out a Spidey that was actually a lot more reflective of the attitude Spidey had when he started while managing to give Peter Parker a happy "ending". However, I've always felt that OMD violated everything the character stood for and perhaps this change is reflective of that? Not really sure, and I'm not sure I care enough to find out. I may pick up the first issue or so of Superior, just to see how this "new" Spidey interacts with everyone. On the positive side, I'm absolutely loving the Scarlet Spider and Venom titles, so at least I still have those.

I haven't read superior spidey #1 yet (my suscriptions arrive at the end of january) but according to the review there is on big plot twist at the end of the issue which is that:

Peter is still in his body,he's just in the backseat of his mind but he still tries to guide otto and make him a better hero while trying to return again in the driver's seat.

Edited by Kostisfire

On the positive side, I'm absolutely loving the Scarlet Spider and Venom titles, so at least I still have those.

Loving Scarlet Spider. Lots of fun. Venom seems to have lost direction with al the crossovers and putting him in the Avengers/T-Bolts. I fear Flash/Venom may be heading the way of Eddie/Venom and overexposure is watering down an initially strong concept.

there is on big plot twist at the end of the issue which is that:

Least. Surprising. Plot twist. Ever

I've not read 700 or Superior yet, but I made a post on my Tumblr blog after seeing a (fake) picture of Stan Lee shredding ASM #700, outlining my entire thoughts on the matter.

Having said that...

Supposedly Miguel, one of the two characters I'd have preferred as a replacement is due to appear in Superior, so tat will keep me interested for now.