UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Gold and Silver Spider-Men

Alpheon

I think they're so good for the same reason the bombermate is: an extremely limited edition exclusive. Look at them as badges of honor for the most devoted minimate collector. Plus, any time there's a limited run of anything, its worth skyrockets. Think about it. If AA made only one clear Spider-Man, and it was given to me and no one else, its worth would increase ten-fold for other collectors who want that clear Spider-Man. So, something that cost me nothing and only cost AA a small amount to make would suddenly be worth whatever the highest bid would be.

Shanester Posted Today, 08:48 AM

There is only 50 gold and 50 silver. They were only given to VIPs and contest winners at the summer cons in 2004 & 2005. I've seen them go as high as $1200.

:o :jawdrop: daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang someone must LOVE :wub: minimates

Prices for gold & silver Spidey had seemed to stabilize around $350-$450, but they also dried up fast. I think we could see a return to the $500+ prices if any surface. I know a lot of diehards that still don't own these figures.

• 3 years later...

I bought the un-numbered Silver Spider-Man from AllStarMatt (formerly DST Matt). I couldn't resist at $150.00. He is one of my two grails. The other being gold colored.

At one point, there was a list of Gold and Silver Spider-Man owners out there but the link is now broken. Does this list still exist?

Did Buttheadsmate ever disclose how much he sold his Gold and Silver Spider-Man for?

I bought the un-numbered Silver Spider-Man from AllStarMatt (formerly DST Matt). I couldn't resist at $150.00. He is one of my two grails.

What's funny is for awhile, AllStarMatt was a grail to several of us-as much we tried we could never find him. :P

Congrats on your find.

I bought the un-numbered Silver Spider-Man from AllStarMatt (formerly DST Matt). I couldn't resist at $150.00. He is one of my two grails. The other being gold colored.

At one point, there was a list of Gold and Silver Spider-Man owners out there but the link is now broken. Does this list still exist?

Did Buttheadsmate ever disclose how much he sold his Gold and Silver Spider-Man for?

Yes I believe that the list still exists, however those are for the numbered ones and it seems that ( like yours) far more unnumbered ones have changed hands recently.

I had the numbered/unnumbered conversation with my G/F yesterday and she really couldn't get her head around the idea that something that was identical could cost so much more because it's in a numbered baggie.

I will say that considering what I sold my numbered Gold/Silver for some of these loose silvers are going pretty cheap!

T.

I had the numbered/unnumbered conversation with my G/F yesterday and she really couldn't get her head around the idea that something that was identical could cost so much more because it's in a numbered baggie.

T.

I bet you didn't argue with her as much as you argued with me about it :P Only playing.....................

I didn't sell my Gold but I did sell a Silver ,it's against my principles to disclose how much for but of course the owner can do so if he so wishes.

I bet you didn't argue with her as much as you argued with me about it :P Only playing.....................

LOL - it was partly our conversation way back when that made me publish the above comment. The biggest difference is that you are a toy collector geek and are supposed to understand that rarity is stupidly important when it comes to collectables, officially only the 50 exist and the unbagged ones are factory seconds ;).

T.

Congrats and much jealousy, Jatta Pake! :)

Bag collecting, much like box collecting, is cool but not my thing -- I'm only in it for the Minimates, and I imagine there are likely one or two of us around that'd be just as happy with an "unofficial" Silver Spidey. I'd open one of the numbered 50 just as quick, if I ever got my paws on one...

Chuck & a few of 'us' at the Con ...... Aaron,Storm ,Cappy & myself ....discussed at some length Gold & Silvers & nobody could categorically remember whether it was the Gold or the Silver that actually had a hole in it's head ! Aaron brought his to the Con the following day & his, like the two or three I have seen have the Silver with a hole whilst the Gold has no hole. This however, according to Chuck , isn't categorically hard & fast ,some may well differ ...."it's possible" . Chuck also mentioned 'the list' &, if I recall correctly, showed distinct interest inasmuch as to"who had them now " & "that many had gone to Marvel".

What was of particular interest to me was that Chuck mentioned that his son has a Minimate Max Spider-Man 'on his shelf at home' :)

Edited by buttheadsmate

Aaron brought his to the Con the following day & his, like the two or three I have seen have the Silver with a hole whilst the Gold has no hole. This however, according to Chuck , isn't categorically hard & fast ,some may well differ ...."it's possible" . Chuck also mentioned 'the list' &, if I recall correctly, showed distinct interest inasmuch as to"who had them now " & "that many had gone to Marvel".

Yeah rumor has always been that at least 20-30 of the 50 are locked up in vaults at Marvel.

As for the hole in the head thing, I don't think any of the golds would have had holes as the gold giveaway predates that evolution in the minimate line by quite some time.

T.

officially only the 50 exist and the unbagged ones are factory seconds ;).

T.

On the other hand, far fewer than 50 of the un-numbered ones exist, so this could be considered even more rare. :P

As an opener, I would greatly displease the gods if I opened a bagged, numbered Silver Spidey. Until last night, I didn't even know un-numbered versions existed. Anyone know if un-numbered Gold Spider-Man Minimates exist?

I acquired it by a certain well respected member on this board :banana:

You must be referring to another board. No one here is respectable. Except Stan Lee, of course. Did Stan Lee sell you his Silver Spidey?

officially only the 50 exist and the unbagged ones are factory seconds ;).

T.

On the other hand, far fewer than 50 of the un-numbered ones exist, so this could be considered even more rare. :P

As an opener, I would greatly displease the gods if I opened a bagged, numbered Silver Spidey. Until last night, I didn't even know un-numbered versions existed. Anyone know if un-numbered Gold Spider-Man Minimates exist?

They do indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Silver Spider-Man from AllStarMatt today. Thanks Matt!

I was comparing him to the Silver Spider-Man from the Minimates Database, and he looks identical. With one exception. It appears that there is a tampo printing error on Ivan's number 35 Silver Spider-Man.

fig0115flg.jpg

Look at the webbing on Spidey's left arm cuff. It appears to be missing a vertical black line. I looked at other views to confirm.

fig0115rlg.jpg

My version does not have this apparant error. Can any owners of numbered Silver Spidey's confirm if their's also has a printing error? Can Ivan confirm if this error is on his Silver Spider-Man or is it just a trick of the lighting?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. This will satisfy my curiosity.