UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pacific Rim: Giant Monsters vs. Giant Robots

minimadman

The dumbest part for me was that the monsters were invading thanks to humans polluting the air so much that we terraformed it for them, so in retaliation we build these giant robots that boast dozens of diesel engines per muscle strand.

At first I was like, "WOW." Then I thought, "Wait... huh?"

I thought the Drift was a cool concept even if it felt lifted right out of a scene from Scott Pilgrim. Doubling up on brain power in order to manage all the stuph a Jaeger does makes sense, and there's always one character – usually the hero – who can do it alone because, hey, he's the hero. (Mako could have told him about the sword upgrade a little sooner, I guess.)

The "American accent" comment bugs me, but then I have a pet peeve about the definition of "American." Technically America stretches almost from pole to pole and includes North, Central, and South Americas so an entire hemisphere could be considered American. But when it comes to accents in the United States, let's face it; we're all over the place. One of the coolest accents I've heard is from The Walking Dead's Lauren Cohan. She was born in Philadelphia, spend her childhood in New Jersey, was schooled in England, and has a pretty cool mixed accent. I get the criticism that an accent should be consistent but that's not what I got out of the "honest" movie trailer's nitpick.

It's all in fun though. I don't think anyone's been able to ruin my enjoyment of a film by pointing out its flaws. I either liked it or I didn't.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, but it's not like we've come up with a proper name for U.S. citizens that rolls off the tongue. It's just a pet peeve. I have oodles of them.

So what's the deal with a follow-up? This movie flopped at the U.S. box office but made a good chunk of dough overseas. Provided it breaks even, is anyone going to finance a sequel? And if so, who?

I know Legendary put up 75% of the budget this time with WB but has since severed ties with the studio. I wonder if that breakup would keep even a successful picture from becoming a franchise.

Nah, but it's not like we've come up with a proper name for U.S. citizens that rolls off the tongue. It's just a pet peeve. I have oodles of them.

So what's the deal with a follow-up? This movie flopped at the U.S. box office but made a good chunk of dough overseas. Provided it breaks even, is anyone going to finance a sequel? And if so, who?

I know Legendary put up 75% of the budget this time with WB but has since severed ties with the studio. I wonder if that breakup would keep even a successful picture from becoming a franchise.

With Legendary's Godzilla reboot coming up, I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait to see if Kaiju are coming back. That'll likely either be the deathblow to Pacific Rim 2 or the thing that brings it to life.