UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pacific Rim: Giant Monsters vs. Giant Robots

minimadman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine said she had to cover her eyes because she's got a real fear of open water. That's a testament to the VFX right there!

I know the film opened in the U.S. at #3 and dropped to #6 the following week but it only slipped to #7 last weekend. I'm hopeful that it stays in the top ten for a long time.

As for a sequel, I don't think it requires one. There was no Darth-Vader-gets-away moment. I think a follow-up would be forced. And who would finance it? This was Legendary and WB's last baby together, wasn't it? Not that WB would be eager to throw more money at this domestic disappointment but they'd still have right of first refusal. And Universal is notoriously gun-shy when it comes to budgets over $50 million. Legendary would either have to foot even more of the cost or figure out a way to reduce it drastically.

If only it had a huge merchandising campaign to help offset costs.

As for a sequel, I don't think it requires one. There was no Darth-Vader-gets-away moment.

Agreed, but still, I would love to pick del Toro's mind to see what ideas he has in store. He has an incredible imagination and ability to bring good ideas to life on screen; much more so than a majority of other writer/directors nowadays.

illogical why not use the sword the whole time?

Probably because the Kaiju had been known to learn about the jaegers' fighting styles and adapt. That's what helped put a stop to Crimson Typhoon's unbeatable "thundercloud" formation.

Sorry you didn't like it but thanks for the patronage.

Agreed, but still, I would love to pick del Toro's mind to see what ideas he has in store. He has an incredible imagination and ability to bring good ideas to life on screen; much more so than a majority of other writer/directors nowadays.

Can't disagree with that. If he chooses to revisit the world of jaegers, I'll be watching.

Probably because the Kaiju had been known to learn about the jaegers' fighting styles and adapt. That's what helped put a stop to Crimson Typhoon's unbeatable "thundercloud" formation.

Sorry you didn't like it but thanks for the patronage.

Nope don't buy it. They were still fist to fist fighting for how long?

No cannons, no long range weapons? Come on....

Fist fighting was a must. The entire world pooled their finances and sources to fund the Jagers themselves. Think of how expensive ammunition is. Now think of how expensive ammunition for a Jager would be.

Until they decided a wall was good enough?

Come on guys.... It was a bad movie with good effects.

Except that it was actually an amazingly good movie? Also didn't the gypsys sword take power? I have to imagine keeping those chainlinks together requires a strong surge of some sort or else the sword would break apart easily.

Also both the stryker and gypsy had long range weapons but they werent practical for constant use

Edited by undeadpool

• 2 months later...

wow...kinda looks like the guy who made that trailer didnt watch the film either

it pisses me off when people complain about "plot holes" or things "not being explained" when it simply means they werent paying attention to the film

I really like the film. It has flaws, but its a movie about giant robots and monsters in a futuristic setting. Its bound to have flaws. Every Godzilla/Ultraman/Kamen Riders/kaiju film ever made has flaws, but they are still fun IMO. I loved Ultraman as a kid and even though I can clearly see the silly man in a suit fighting another man in a suit amongst model buildings and cars, I still love it. Del Toro clearly stated that this film was a personal labor of love. If I had his talent and power, you better believe there would be giant robots fighting giant monsters on the big screen.

If people would lay off the hunt for flaws and just enjoy it for the fantasy that it is, it would be far more enjoyable.

wow...kinda looks like the guy who made that trailer didnt watch the film either

it pisses me off when people complain about "plot holes" or things "not being explained" when it simply means they werent paying attention to the film

Some things are better off left unexplained.

Boba Fett was the badass of the Star Wars Universe for exactly one film. After he died like a punk, he was shoe-horned into the Special Editions to pander to fans and ultimately turned into a brat thanks to the prequels. And don't get me started on Vader.

Like Shane said, people look for reasons to bitch about popcorn movies like this. They do a good job of talking themselves out of liking it.

I don't like popcorn movies. I don't go to movies to turn my brain off, that's why I play video games. I go to movies to think and be intellectually challenged.

Personally, I like all kinds of films but I tend to manage my expectations accordingly. That said, there are certain things that will take me right out of the movie no matter what. The editing on Ang Lee's Hulk leaps to mind. I really wanted to like that movie but being hit over the head with multiple "IT'S A COMIC BOOK PAGE! GET IT?!" images was distracting at best.

well Del Toro always has great thought out movies, I wouldnt call this simply a "popcorn" movie, obviously that is one of its intents, but it has a lot more than that as its value

That's why I liked it. I went in with some pretty low simple expectations, just hoping to see some cool monsters vs. robots eye candy, and came out more than satisfied.

I don't like popcorn movies. I don't go to movies to turn my brain off, that's why I play video games. I go to movies to think and be intellectually challenged.

woot.gif

yeah some people just can't have fun. Just watched the bluray, but it was way better in the theater.

Does it make less sense to use Giant Robots against Giant Monsters or that after years of doing it cut the funding when the world is ending?

My strategy would've been use of Jets/Heavy Helicopters which could be Drones. Same thing with Naval Ships. Torpedos and Missiles are more economical than Robots just not as much fun.

I think the Giant Robots could've had some backup from Helicopters.