UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pacific Rim: Giant Monsters vs. Giant Robots

minimadman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was handsdown the funnest movie i have ever seen, i dont understand people not being excited, even if they go into the theater expecting pure spectacle, there is no way NOT to enjoy this film!

Pacific Rim is the must see film of the summer, it is truly incredible and shows a lot of love for everything Kaiju

I did think it was thoroughly enjoyable, very happy. The fights never felt forced, and it was always quite clear what was going on. This was one of my main concerns before, like in Transformers

I've been wanting to watch this and Lone Ranger, but gawd, its so hard to find time to go to the movies.

Forget Lone Ranger, go see Pacfic Rim twice!

By all reports Lone Ranger is a train wreck I wouldnt be surprised if it does well at the Razzies.

Saw it last night and really, really enjoyed it. Blew away my expectations. It really deserves to be seen in IMAX 3D.

Given the terrific word of mouth it's getting, I now understand why it's over-performing at the box office. Analysts expected it to open a little soft but it's tracking $10-$20 million higher. I hope this film has legs.

So if you're one of the people who are passing on watching Pacific Rim in the theater and waiting for dvd I would advise against it. The commercials don't do the movie justice. This isn't " Transformers vs Godzilla" , its two human pilots, their 500 ft robots and alien beast from the abyss bent on human annihilation. Sure its a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters on the surface but underneath that is a good story about the pilots who man the Jaegers and their personal tragedies , most of which are directly and indirectly caused by the Kaiju. Guillermo Del Toro does a great job of making you feel the scale of these creatures by placing the audience in the middle of each battle , whether you are sprayed by bearing sea waves or being hit by raining glass from demolished skyscrapers of Hong Kong you feel like you're right there with every rocket fist punch and acid breath attack.

How did that happen? I read a few weeks ago about the poor tracking etc but I'd hoped that was just pessimism.

The next time someone says to you 'all Hollywood makes nowadays is sequels' ask them whether they saw Grown Ups 2 or PR. Slap their face as is required.

*sigh* sad.png

I have no issue with the continued success of a good animated kid’s movie (Despicable Me 2); it's the crap movie doing better than an infinitely more creative/entertaining/intellectually stimulating/visually stunning* movie that is just flat out wrong in so many ways.

Mike Judge was right!

*not saying that Salma Hayek isn't visually stunning, but we're talking overall movie here

Back to Pacific Rim.... NECA's getting my money. I hope they make one of Leatherback; that was my favorite monster in the film.

I HIGHLY urge everyone (even those who've seen it already) to see it in IMAX 3D! THIS is the reason IMAX was created! The regular screen, and especially when it comes out on Blu Ray just CAN'T do this film justice! It's like a thrill-ride at an amusement park more than it is a movie.

Transformers on IMAX never even came CLOSE to how epic Pacific Rim is on IMAX! There's such a massive weight and depth to just how gigantic the robots and monsters are on screen. It's like experiencing the Star Destroyer flyover for the first time in Star Wars - not as impressive on a small screen. (And here you get 2 hours of this, and it never gets old!!)

Dino, I'm especially surprised you're not interested. It even stars a Japanese girl who does some martial arts fighting!

Anyone waiting for home video will be sorely disappointed for missing this on the big screen. This is hands down the best movie-going experience of the year for me! I'm going to see this as many times as I can while it's still on IMAX, I just can't believe how much I loved the experience. Even my wife is dying to see it again, she might have loved it even more than I did! (This is going to get expensive! :) )

PLEASE, I implore all of you to experience this movie at least once in IMAX 3D. I just can't express how much this movie was MADE for IMAX. It is totally worth the money. And I hate 3D and IMAX for the most part and generally avoid it.

Get off the fence and just go see it ASAP! You won't regret it!

I threw away money at Despicable Me 2 this weekend. We loved the first film but this one literally put me and my wife to sleep in parts.

I'm hoping that Pacific Rim gets strong enough word of mouth that it stays at #3 for the next four months.

And if NECA puts out an 18-inch Gipsy Danger, I'm going to be all over that.

Most movies from the past 2 years had me feeling like Stan Marsh in that episode of South Park where everything sounds like crap. Pacific Rim broke that for me, to the point where even my wife was surprised at how much I enjoyed it!

I immediately rushed to TRU after my screening to get the NECA 7-inch line, only to find them all gone and hear a worker telling a woman how they had sat there for awhile then immediately disappeared when the movie came out. (BBTS to the rescue!)

I really hope NECA does more 7" figures. And I would seriously pass up 18-inch Minimates of Galactus and Sentinels to get Gipsy Danger as a 18-inch Minimate!

I've been championing this movie as the one to see to the people in my area. I admit to being the older nerd/geek and most people nowdays just look at the main star and not the movie if they are going the pictures.

My thoughts

I loved it, even if it sagged and slowed storywise at times, when it kicked off actionwise it delivered there is a few plot lines that really didnt need to be there but on a whole its a great blokey movie. This an Olympus has fallen //i have enjoyed upto now just good action bloke movies.

I can understand why Despicable me 2 is getting more money as all nerds that we are we would be the first to watch a good cartoon movie if have/had kids to take out. PR just isnt a family movie as such.

I actually watched a copy of Despicable me2 from a bloke in the pub...an I liked it the minions steal the movie all the way through. For me PR is great an I loved it but Despicable me 2 is going to steam roll the ratings.

Saw it again yesterday. Still love all the fight scenes in IMAX. The sound alone is worth the extra price! The "heartbeat" even shook my chair from behind :)

So sad this movie didn't open sooner. I feel like the box office is suffering because the "event" movies have already opened this summer and worn out the general audiences. Still, this is the most fun I've had at the movies in forever!