UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Man of Steel

undeadpool

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I booked my tickets for IMAX months ago, and managed to get opening night, which is pretty much unheard of in these parts, as we only have 2 IMAX screens in London.

I went to London about a decade ago, but remember one of those Imax theaters very well! It was very close to the hotel place we were staying. Ah, memories.

Will probably see Superman in a couple of weeks after the crowds die down.

On my way now, has had really mixed reviews over here. I'm sure I'll love it... what do people know!

On my way now, has had really mixed reviews over here. I'm sure I'll love it... what do people know!

Edited by dj87

I hated this movie. It was unbearable to watch since it was filmed with Shaky Cam the Entire. Damn. Film!

I wanted to see Superman, not the Blair Witch Project!

Otherwise, very, very predictable film. Could have been better, but if I hadn't paid by credit card, I'd have been up at the front demanding a refund. Even my wife hated the Shaky Cam. We both had headaches before Krypton even exploded. And this was in 2D, she said she would have literally thrown up if we'd seen it in 3d. I really wanted to enjoy this film. Zach Snyder is a hack and I'll never watch his stuff in the theater ever again after this BS.

I've only ever wanted to walk out of four films in my life. Man of Steel is one of them.

I liked it quite a bit, but I could definitely have done with less shaky cam early in the movie. It didn't seem as bad later on though. Was the volume very loud for anyone else, or was that just my theater? I was starting to wonder if I should have grabbed ear plugs.

Edited by stack32

I loved this film

there are a few things I didnt enjoy

1. Lois Olsen (Amy Adams was terrible)

2. No freezing breath (but thats just me being picky :P )

3. That it ended :D

it was just such a gorgeous film, and the two fight scenes made up for EVERYTHING else that people may have found wrong. Seeing Superman at full strength, fighting, in live action is unlike anything we have ever seen before. Its truly breathtaking

Just got back. I personally thought it was okay. I do think the film has some problems, however:

- Superman didn't seem too concerned with collateral damage during the climatic battle with Zod... which seems out of character.

- A lot of the CGI sequences were much too cluttered and made it hard to focus on the action. Not as bad as Michael Bay's stuff but man...

- Camera work was too erratic at times. How many times did Snyder need to do that zoom in-out of focus-zoom out-in focus thing?

- Some of the dialogue... was not so great, especially that of the military characters.

- Pacing seemed awkward, like on Krypton at the start.

- I think they should've cut one of the early fight scenes. As cool as it was, I think they could've left it out and the movie wouldn't have suffered.

I did like the film, though, and it makes a solid foundation for a new series. I just hope Snyder calms down at bit for the sequel. :)

And while I did complain about it, the final fight between Supes and Zod was worth the ticket price. HOLY CRAP.

Just got back. I personally thought it was okay. I do think the film has some problems, however:

- Superman didn't seem too concerned with collateral damage during the climatic battle with Zod... which seems out of character.

I agree with most of your points, however, this one struck me the most because I was thinking this while actually watching the movie. That said, I'm thinking that I'll have to treat this Supes like Nolans Batman in that he isn't really 'our' Superman, he's just a version of Superman for the screen...or an Elseworlds. We all know that the final battle would not have gone down the way it did with the proper Superman.

Great action, great cast, good story, good score but a terrible script. I can't even believe some of the lines that the cast had to say out loud.

It was good fun though, and great to see Superman really let loose on screen.

I still prefer Reeves, Donner and Williams though.

The shaky cam was a bit overbearing at the start of Krypton, but my eyes quickly adapted to it and from that point on I thought it was great. The acting was all magnificent with everyone bringing their A-game and Zack Synder defiantly brought some great action. My main problem was adult Clark was a bit too wooden in my opinion; Don't get me wrong I loved Kid Clark and when he was Superman but there wasn't much depth regarding what he did outside the Superman costume. This could be fair though as it had to be a balancing act between Superman and current Clark as it was an origin story and there is not much time for both so with the sequel and the daily planet plot point that should be fixed.

It left me wanting more and with the sequel in the works Warner Bros definitely has my money for the sequel.

Loved this movie. I loathe Superman in general so Snyder really hit it out of the park for me.

The only thing I didn't like was there was a Sears, iHop, 7-11, or Nokia showing up every 5 damn minutes of the movie. I never usually am bothered by product placement but it seemed really excessive.

Edited by Punisher

just saw this again....wow...again.

also a few details I loved

1. Lexcorp trucks

2. Waynetech satellite

3. that the kryptonian ships wings were based on their flying lizard things

4. Foara and the hulking kryptonian actually caused some of the soldiers to explode

5. he has telescopic vision!

I saw the movie and liked it. I thought it was a good representation of Supes. I do agree with the collateral damage point but figured this isn't an experienced Superman. That and the majority of the damage during the fight was in the future home of Lexcorp area. The main thing that stood out for me was the airplane and space scenes seemed like a homage to BSG. The quick fuzzy zoom then back out etc. Plus seeing a couple of BSG actors added to it. I popped for Felix Gaeda.

Cavill was good and not once did I think of the Donner Reeves movies. I like those but this is an acceptable Supes. I hope that Lex only has a cameo in the next movie bitching about the damage. I think Braniac could work if they do the New Krypton storyline where he wants to exterminate all kryptons. With Supes being the last one alive. Then finish up the trilogy with Death of Superman and Doomsday.

Im not a real superman fan, but i thought the movie was pretty good, not great, but a good fun movie for the most part, previous posters have pretty much nailed all my gripes with the film( bad dialogue, shaky cam, product placements)and i wonder if the GA might find the Jor-El bits hard to understand as to how he keeps showing up and all. my only real plot issue is why doesnt supes, after seeing Zod more or less paralyzed by sensory over-load when his helmet is removed in the early battle, use that tactic later when fighting against Faora and Non? as for the future i could see the Kryptonian space suits being the basis for Luthors battle suit.

I'm getting really irritated by all of the criticism people have against the collateral damage and Clark not saving every citizen. It was established that this is not the classic boy scout of the 50s. One of the first things established in the film is Clark hating how big the world is and Ma telling him to isolate himself and focus on what matters. She teaches him to block out certain things and focus. Pa of course teaches him to accept sacrifices. In-context, it made total sense for him to focus on stopping Zod and accepting some collateral. Regardless of how cinematographic the chaos was, the film openly said that Clark has to be okay with this stuff. Just annoying how so many people miss this.

Cannot wait to see it again; most beautiful superhero film by far. I still can't get over the deafening silence of the theater from that pivotal scene at the end. Brilliant film.

Anyone thinking about sequel stories yet? I'm hoping for Lex to start weaving his influence over the city but as a background presence, while Metallo and Parasite take center stage. Gotta hold off on Lex for now.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Here are things that should NEVER happen on screen, and if they do, that represents a fundamental flaw in the understanding of the source material:

Captain America raping a woman.

The Punisher shooting a kitten.

Spider-man using his abilities to become wealthy.

Superman taking a life.

Go #@&$ yourself, DC, there's enough bad shit going on in the world without resorting to making an "edgy" Superman that is willing to take a life, especially in his reboot origin film.

Here are things that should NEVER happen on screen, and if they do, that represents a fundamental flaw in the understanding of the source material:

Captain America raping a woman.

The Punisher shooting a kitten.

Spider-man using his abilities to become wealthy.

Superman taking a life.

Go #@&$ yourself, DC, there's enough bad shit going on in the world without resorting to making an "edgy" Superman that is willing to take a life, especially in his reboot origin film.

Are you aware that Superman has taken lives in comics many times?

And are you implying what he did wasn't the right thing to do? Because if so, you are wrong. ;)

Are you also aware that Superman showed IMMEDIATE regret after he took said life? If he was as "edgy" as you think he was,he wouldnt have whimpered in Lois Lane's arms...

It was lazy writing, in an attempt to get a shock twist to the film Superman mythos. "Hey everybody, look how much different OUR Superman is from those other guys." The people behind this film made a conscious decision to go in that direction, and it was a poor decision to make, especially at the reboot point for the entire DC film franchise.

In Superman's defense,he was only Superman for atleast 2-3 days in the film. Now,maybe if he was Superman for a couple years,yeah it would be considered lazy writing. But since Superman is a "rookie" in this film,it can lay ground for his "No Killing" rule,which would eventually turn him into the boy scout we know and love.