UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Man of Steel

undeadpool

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it'll be a pretty good movie. It's darker and grittier than how I imagine Superman, and it's not what I'd prefer to see. It doesn't look bad. Just different. Not at all what I would have expected Pa Kent to say. Hopefully there will be more to that conversation in the movie.

With you guys on the Pa Kent line. . .maybe there's some context we don't get there, but that feels like an unnecessary Nolanism. Otherwise, looks good. Like Turtle, not the tone of a Superman movie that exists in my wildest dreams (which would be pretty much an Alan Moore Supreme story come to life), but whatchagonnado?

see, i really hope thats it, it did feel out of context, but the way they showed the trailer just made me scared that Kent isnt gonna be the Uncle Ben type. On the tone of this movie, yes it looks darker, but it also looks like it will be focussing on the public's first reaction to Superman, which is a good way to lead into a brighter day for Clark, also it looks like Kryptonian tech is gonna be top notch Cgi :D

Watched it, had chills and a smile on my face the whole time. It looks simply incredible, i can't wait. It's different done right, from the looks of it. The dark tone shouldn't work, but this doubt-filled Superman world looks like it really flows. I can't wait to see it.

Also, Amy Adams as Lois? Brilliant, BRILLIANT casting.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

See but ive always seen Jonathan as the kinda dad who would teach Clark to save people before hiding his powers, and being the one who pushed him to be Superman, rather then the force that prevented it.

also i really dont understand the Lois casting, and im peeved that they didnt even make her look like Lois, but i said basically the same thing about Catwoman and i was blown away by how amazing Hathaway was, so i will reserve any and all judgments

also this movie will be the best ever if Zod says his famous line :D

That movie looks beautiful. I understand why you guys are taken aback by the Jonathan Kent line but I get it. It's about protecting his son more than ambivalence towards the lives of other children.

That's why I'm hoping there's more to the conversation. The Smallville version of Jonathan was a good balance.

Oh, and as for the music: my three-year-old loves loves loves the Superman theme song. Nothing beats it. He hears it, and he knows exactly what it is. While it's playing, he puts on his cape and runs around the house. "I'm sUPerman!" It's so culturally a part of the character that it seems silly not to use it in some way.

Edited by Turtle

I like what I'm seeing so far. Most of Snyder's previous work has seemed a little claustrophobic to me because it's used a lot of green screen work. Using some actual locations is definitely adding some scope to his palette.

I'm missing the S-shield on the cape. That's the only nitpick from me so far.

I'll reserve judgment on the story until I see the other 120 minutes.

also this movie will be the best ever if Zod says his famous line :D

Reportedly, Michael Shannon insists he does NOT say the line in the film. That said, it's all over the merchandise for the film so it's possible someone says it. ;)

The only thing missing......... John Williams!!

How the theme isn't in the film is criminal as far as I'm concerned

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand his theme is like that of James Bond. I wouldn't mind them sneaking it in at the end.

On the other hand, I trust Hans Zimmer and am looking forward to something original from him.

dont get me wrong, i dont want to steal the line from the original film, but its a great line that deserves to be used, im guessing one of Zods followers will say it.

also i would give this movie a 100/10 if they used the John Williams theme in ANY scene

Unfortunately, I've already seen the long version of this. The doubts, the hand wringing, the trying to find his place in the world, an overprotective father worried about protecting his secret... it was called Smallville. And after seeing that section of Clark's life drug out so unnecessarily long so CW could say they had another show last a whole decade, not real personally pumped to see it again from a different angle. Hoping for more suit time and more hitting than agnsty soul searching.

And I will be honest... if Nolan was not associated I'd assume this was going to outright suck. He's earned a degree of trust from me, so I'm keeping my mind open. But if Warner Brothers has proven anything to me, it's that aside from the Donners back in the day, they have no idea how to handle their non-Batman properties. And those only work when you have a ballsy director with a clear, strong vision of where he wants to go. (Burton and Nolan) The rest of their DC related film works are a load of self-conscious crap. They screwed up Hex... Hex! It's a friggin' western for cryin' out loud! The studioes used to churn them out weekly. Just because the source material is from a comic book doesn't mean it is not a pure western. But the people who brought you Neo as Constantine, and a panic attack ridden Hal Jordan managed to make a near unwatchable mess. I have zero faith in WB as a comics movie studio, and every successful Marvel movie makes them look all the more inept.

I have to agree with Miry that I don't trust Warners to pull this off at all. They've done nothing but f**k up most every DC property they've attempted to translate to the big screen, though, oddly enough, WB Animation has done wonderful things. Is it too much to ask to let Bruce Timm produce one of these things?

I also have to say that I'm no fan of Zack Snyder; the trailer looks pretty good, but considering how badly he missed the mark, and how tonally off the trailer looks from what I perceive are the strengths of the character, lets just say my expectations are not high.

I think that it has just taken until now for WB to see what Marvel has done with their properties and what comic book movies are capable of, not to mention what competent people are capable of when left to their own devices i.e. Nolan's Batman pictures. I for one like Zack Snyder. That guy knows how to shoot the hell out of a movie.

I think Snyder is a capable director. The problem is when he is allowed to have artistic direction and input into the story (see Sucker Punch). Watchmen and 300 were pretty good IMO, and showed that he can make a pretty film. It isn't great art, but maybe we don't always need that in our comic book movies.

Totally agree with Miry's take on WB. The upper management/producers just don't seem to "get it." They have no real vision, and the things they have given us have been mediocre across the board with the exception of Nolan over the last 15 years or so. I'll hope for something decent, but won't build up expectations.

This is one reason I'm worried- the villain is Zod. Now I love me some Zod, and especially some Terrance Stamp Zod. And I also acknowledge that Supes does not have the deepest bench of villains. But it seems to me that other than Luthor, Zod is the villain WB Execs are most comfortable with. And apparently the only super-powered foe they find acceptable. Not Bizzaro, Brainiac, or Metallo... hell TOYMAN for crying out loud, just Zod. Aside from the poor man's Neutron in S4 that practically nobody saw, that's the only super-powered foe Superman has EVER faced on the big screen. Usually it's Luthor and some glowing rocks of various sizes. And so what will the threat be in this reboot of the series? Zod. This is a huge red flag to me. It says to me that as a studio, WB is still embarassed and self conscious about it's DC properties.

Batman works for them because since Burton, it's acceptable to envision Batman as a man dressed in high tech kevlar. It's "realistic". Okay, fine. Would they still feel as comfortable with Batman if he were still in tights? The answer is clearly no, because whenever things in these movies start to trend toward the fantastical, they get self conscious and things slide into camp.

Now I'm not worried about this sliding into camp, but the choice of Zod is troubling.

I'm looking to see Brainiac in any sort of sequel to this. After all, if they go the STAS route with him, his appearance in this one wouldn't be all that... effective. After Superman has met with both sides of Krypton's people (the good and the bad) he could have an encounter with Brainiac and... yeah to me it would work for a sequel looking to delve more into Krypton.

My ideal Supes reboot would have started with Metallo or Parasite; they're close-quarters, still immensely powerful, both play to Superman's one key weakness, and they aren't big enough that DC blows it all in the first movie. I guess sort of like Begins with Scarecrow and Ra's (not that this should be the same thing as Nolan's trilogy at all). Then Lex, then Brainiac or Zod.

But i get what DC wants. From a marketing standpoint Zod attracts classic movie fans, classic comic fans, and if anything most people have heard the phrase "Kneel before Zod." He's a big name and, as Smallville and New Krypton proved, can carry a big army with immense power. DC wants a grand spectacle to wow people from the get-go, sort of how Earth One volume 1 ended. I wouldn't think Zod being used is a cause for concern at all. Should he be used so early? In a perfect world no, but i've got faith here.

(Of course, we also don't know if from the original script it was always meant to be Zod or not anyway)

Warner Bros has made good movies. But they haven't made GOOD superhero movies. The corporate hotshots think that they can please us by giving us mediocrity in tights. Besides Nolan's Dark Knight movies they don't do these well enough. Green Lantern blooooowwwweeeeeddddd. Although this looks decent I guess. I hope this basically sets up the path for a JL movie. Heck maybe give us back DC Minimates while they're at it.