UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Best Minimates of 2012 Preparty

hellpop

We commonly call simple Minimates "vanilla", and I think Best Vanilla Minimate is a good idea. I'm not entirely sold on Best Bulked-Up Minimate; would that be for any Minimate that includes sculpted pieces, or just those like Rhino, Hulk, and Thing which have extra pieces added for heft? Anyway, the downside is that both categories may be a little too narrow and confusing. But, since we do Best Tampo and Best Accessory, how about Best Sculpted Piece?

Oh, and what about Minimate News of the Year? This can incorporate things like DST announcing the Walking Dead, AFX and Icon Heroes making Thundercats, Minimates 10th Anniversary, the Marvel Wave 50 poll, and anything else we can think of, really.

Edited by hellpop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It being the 10th anniversary of the minimate, I have planned to add a "lifetime achievement" award into the mix.

edit : Best packaging?

That seems like a good addition. Only downside is I don't hang on to any of my minimate packaging. One of you "mint in box" collectors may have to help me out with pics.

We commonly call simple Minimates "vanilla", and I think Best Vanilla Minimate is a good idea. I'm not entirely sold on Best Bulked-Up Minimate; would that be for any Minimate that includes sculpted pieces, or just those like Rhino, Hulk, and Thing which have extra pieces added for heft? Anyway, the downside is that both categories may be a little too narrow and confusing. But, since we do Best Tampo and Best Accessory, how about Best Sculpted Piece?

I think you are right if we use vanilla mate then typically we are referring to a mate that is sans any accessory. I think allowing one or two sculpted pieces would be too confusing. I retract my idea.

I do like the idea of best sculpted though.

How about a "they finally made x so I can complete the team"?

More often than not that seems to be the recurring theme on this site- wishing and then finally receiving. I never thought I'd see a modok minimate and yet we do. (:

Edited by Jeff

Is there a category for best customs of the year? I've seen a lot of stuff on here that rivaled what dst produces.

There's an entire separate awards show! We'll start talking about that in January. :biggrin:

I think you should just give Kang his own special award now that he's finally been made. C'mon... he's Kang! :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see how he does. There's certainly a subset of 'versers who would be glad to never hear the name Kang again, so I doubt he'll get their votes. Frankly, I think the vote I might have given to him is going to go to the archer in the other Disney set.

I'm not entirely sold on Best Bulked-Up Minimate; would that be for any Minimate that includes sculpted pieces, or just those like Rhino, Hulk, and Thing which have extra pieces added for heft?

How about instead of Bulked-Up go with a "Most Improved Figure". That way you get the improved Bulked-Up characters (like Hulk, Rhino, Thing) but also adds room for other characters that were redone/improved (like Black Costume Spidey *hail Ivan*).

*btw, some of the comments in this thread may look a little strange or doubled; I merged the two BM2012 threads together :whistling:

In the past we've had a "best variant" category, which encompasses not just the stated variants, but variations and updates on previously released characters and costumes. I like that, in that it's a bit broader then just "best redo", since you can then vote for characters beyond just Marvel (and the few Street Fighter characters that got a second pass).

I'm really looking forward to your sho, Mini Myte! Together with Secret Santa and the usual and amazing contests, one of the best things happening here! :thumbsup:

As for categories, I really like the lifetime achievement idea.

And besides the regular best accessory, I really like best sculpted piece, since there is a lot of amazing stuff happening lately!

I'm also in favor for hellpop's "best redo" idea.

I also thought about something MMMV specific, like biggest hype or something like that. But since this wouldn't necessarily be about a specific Minimate - Ponies come to mind - (or at least a 'mate that might not have been done, yet), I don't know if it would fit into the ceremony.

Anyways, your the Master of Ceremony, MC Mini_Myte, and you'll come up with amazing stuff!

Edited by Bob Harris

Best fodder figure for customs should be a category.

YES! Please add this one!

Also, maybe we could vote to have the "Worst" category separated and held in a different poll, so that Zach can promote the "Best of" awards?

I'd be happy to see the "worst" category moved elsewhere (not dropped altogether because it's still fun). But every "worst" mate still has customizing potential, and even the worst mate is still better than the best Squinkie or Playmobil IMHO.

So it would appear that the dockworker strike that occurred a few weeks ago (which you all know of) has delayed the release of the last few minimate waves this month (end of year). Street Fighter vs Tekken wave 2, WD wave 2 and BB wave 1 are now looking to be part of the Best Minimates of 2013. I only ask that you multiversers keep your eyes peeled to TRU and Amazon.com as some stragglers MAY make the December 31st cut off time. If you see anything new in store by then please LMK. Thanks gang. :thumbsup: