UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Best Minimates of 2012 Preparty

hellpop

So we've only got a month left in 2012, and I'm dying to talk best Minimates. This has been just an incredible mini-year, and handicapping the race is nearly impossible. Some areas for discussion:

-I think we've got at least a half-dozen Minimates that would walk off with the Best Minimate prize in any other year. In my mind, it's a race between Modok and Armin Zola for the crown (Orange and Purple represent!). But I could easily see Vorin slip in, or that cool dog from the MvC line. But what about a more traditional 'mate? I think the SHIELD Agent has a good shot (he's got to be a lock for the army builder field). Hawkeye from the Avengers box set is another sleeper, and of course, there's always Kang.

-After San Diego, I would have bet that Thundercats was a shoo-in for line of the year, but now I'm not so sure. With everybody succumbing to zombie fever (:unsure:), Walking Dead probably has to be the favorite now, right? Likewise, I think WD series one and the first Thundercats set will battle it out for the best wave/set. By the way, why do we do these as one category? Why aren't they split? Anyway, I can't really see any other line, wave, or set topping those two. Marvel had a great year, but is hurt by the fact that some if the best Marvel figures are in the MvC wave.

-Best Accessory? Gotta be Thor's spinning hammer, though the Sword of Omens is up there. I'd also put that cool little Cortana from Halo in there. Hey, does Modok's chair count as a vehicle? Could that beat KITT?

-As for the worst side, I can't say there's really any frontrunners; that's how good the year's been. The only figure I can see that was met with near-universal apathy was the recent TRU Iron Man, and even that has its' defenders. I know that I plan to vote for Boom-Boom, purely out of spite. Be interesting to see how she does.

-Finally, I hope that everyone that finds the Sexiest Minimate category a little embarrassing will join me in stuffing the ballot box for Modok.:biggrin:

EDIT: yes, I forgot that Arnim Zola was last year. Just ignore him.:blush:

Edited by hellpop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey gang, the end of the year is fast approaching and it's time to start thinking about the MMMV's annual award show. If it's cool with the majority of you, I'd like to volunteer my photography and comedic writing skills to head up the Best Minimates of 2012. What do you guys say? May I take the reins again this year?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Sorry guys, I didn't even see this thread before my own. Moderators, please feel free and delete the one I made. With that said, I'll ask here what I asked in the other thread:

If it's cool with the majority of you, I'd like to volunteer my photography and comedic writing skills to head up the Best & Worst Minimates of 2012. What do you guys say? May I take the reins again this year?

If given the chance to do the red carpet and award show, I have some new ideas cooked up involving brand spankin' new categories as well as some categories in much need of modifications.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Sorry guys, I didn't even see this thread before my own. Moderators, please feel free and delete the one I made. With that said, I'll ask here what I asked in the other thread:

If it's cool with the majority of you, I'd like to volunteer my photography and comedic writing skills to head up the Best & Worst Minimates of 2012. What do you guys say? May I take the reins again this year?

you get my vote to set this up again this year brother!

Jeff of the Miniacs

you get my vote to set this up again this year brother!

Jeff of the Miniacs

seconded

Edited by winkerbean

Thired, forthed, as many votes as you want I will jump around at the back wavering my arms. As long as Dr Doomsy wins every category and if she dosn't its a fix and I blame AvX. Thanos should box to omnipotence that is Doomsy and the Kitty thing.

Is it a good idea to include 'Worst Minimate' in a 'best of' celebration ? I can't think of any other 'celebratory' event that would include a 'worst' section .

I was thinking of scrapping the "worst" categories for this year's awards. I've noticed over the last two years (of doing the show) that the number of people voting in all the worst categories have dwindled. This year was a great year for minimates and nothing (other than the TRU wave 14 IM) really fits the bill as a "worst" contender. I'm all for "The Best MInimates of 2012" this time around. Everybody else okay with that? Majority rules.

If you remember, Zach said last year that he would have promoted this pretty heavily if not for the Worst categories. It probably makes sense to do, as it might expand our community presence (if we wanted that expanded, that is). I'm okay with dropping them if we can all agree that Boom-Boom was the worst Minimate in 2012.:biggrin:

I hope, though, that we do expand the categories a bit. I think having separate "best wave" and "best box set" categories is a must, considering how many waves and box sets we are seeing now. Can we come up with some fun, clever categories to replace the worst ones? Best non-human, maybe?

If you remember, Zach said last year that he would have promoted this pretty heavily if not for the Worst categories. It probably makes sense to do, as it might expand our community presence (if we wanted that expanded, that is). I'm okay with dropping them if we can all agree that Boom-Boom was the worst Minimate in 2012.:biggrin:

I hope, though, that we do expand the categories a bit. I think having separate "best wave" and "best box set" categories is a must, considering how many waves and box sets we are seeing now. Can we come up with some fun, clever categories to replace the worst ones? Best non-human, maybe?

I have worked up a list of 20 categories (non of which are a "worst" anything). I have also scrapped the "Sexiest Minimate" category and replaced it with something not as intensely worded.

I'd love to hear more suggestions y'all might like to see. Hellpop's suggestion of splitting up waves and boxed sets works for me. Anybody else care to venture an opinion / suggestion?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

How about we make: Best Bulked Up Character, Best License, Best Convention Exclusive?

That's all I could think of.

I was hoping for a best simplistic minimate i.e. mate with no sculpted pieces aside from hair, belt, cuffs or non sculted chests/heads. I am still in love with wave 1 through 10 and how simply awesome those were. Mind you I loved Vorin and Hulk Buster, but the original design is what brought me in.

I wouldn't be in favor of getting rid of the worst categories just to give DST another marketing tool, however, since Zach is on the boards and well aware of any issues the community has with certain minimates the worst categories probably aren't as useful as they might have been before. I guess that's a long way of saying I'd be okay with letting them go.

I'm not a big fan of using separate "simple" versus "bulked-up" categories. I get the distinction, but it seems like a way to keep some popular minimates (i.e. Venom Unleashed and MODOK) from winning best minimate. And if they are different categories from best overall you're guaranteed to have one minimate win overall and either the "simple" or "bulked-up" categories. Not really a big deal, I'm just not sure it's the way to go.