UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Important: i, Robot Minimates

Hey folks, you know how you'd always love it if the powers that be took more notice of your opinions, well here is your chance!

I received an email today asking me to post the following information to see what you guys thought of it all.

The following are POTENTIAL projects for the i, Robot Minimates line.

Would like to hear from you on your choice of characters in Set of 5,

limited edition quantities and if we should limit it, suggested prices;

suggested projects, producing them in the new more detail style (i.e.

BG, LOTR) or old style, etc.? Please note that the information is not

confirmed and should be expected to change without notice.

http://www.popboxcollectibles.com

1) Set of 5 Minimates:

Possible characters are as follows.:

NS-5 Sonny, "evil" NS-5, NS-5 police, NS-4 (various), Spooner, Dr Calvin, Dr

Lanning, Lawrence Robertson, VIKI, police in blue uniform, police in military uniform

Limited to 5k worldwide?

2) Transport carrier with 10 "evil" NS-5:

Transport carrier with upward sliding gate and circular rolling wheels. To re-enact the cool tunnel scene.

Inside will house 10 NS-5 inside. 3 cute "evil" face styles of NS-5. Can also house NS-4s.

Limited to 1k worldwide?

3) Spooner's silver Audi with Spooner:

Silver car (without logo) with circular rolling wheels. Possible removable roof and

windshield, and additional exchangeable damage version. Includes Spooner.

Limited to 1k worldwide?

4) Set of 10 NS-4 in various color versions in the movie:

Comes in freight container packaging. This can be used in the transport

carrier as well as to re-enact fight scene in container graveyard with NS-5s.

Limited to 1k worldwide?

5) Set of 4 police in blue uniform (as in the interrogation scene):

Limited to 1k worldwide?

6) Set of 4 police in military uniform (at the end of the movie rounding up all NS-5s):

Limited to 1k worldwide?

So there you have it, please post your thoughts, opinions and suggestions below. Your opinion does count!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see them. New mates are new mates after all (apart from cereal mates) but the film was what... Two years ago? Three? LOTR mates failed and that was within a year of the Return of the King. I would like to see them but I can't see them being commercially viable.

I think it's a reallllllllly bad idea. MiniMates need good, strong licenses. Not random, so-so licenses.

Rocky = not so much

Cereal 'Mates = not so much

I Robot = no way, no how

Like Santos said, the movie was alright ... but it's not a classic that's going to be remembered 10 years down the line (like LOTR will be). And like Rad said, the movie is pretty old now ... pretty much forgotten already. Another thing is: If they would do the NS5, wouldn't it be so close to a blank 'mate? Why not just do a set of multi-colored blank 'mates?

Looks like Popbox already has some kind of license worked out for I, Robot. However, I think they may do better with 'mates if they pursued one of their other properties ... like ULTRAMAN! (heck yeah!) Or even Macross.

Heck, DC and Marvel would be good too. ;)

As a fan, I say that IR 'mates would be a bad idea.

As a retailer, I think it would be a bad idea: We wouldn't carry too many of them, probably just bare bones to have them around. But I would not expect these to sell.

Just my initial thoughts.

Xy

I know that personally I'd buy these if they were produced, but then again I'm becoming quickly addicted to anything and everything minimate. Since the other responses thus far are questionable about this, I guess though I would like these I feel perhaps a stronger license would be more profitable.

I really enjoyed the film, and it does seem that there is quite the cult following for it, obviously as I love minimates (well duh) I'd buy them...

Personally I'd prefer them to be 2", 3" is in the past and I aren't as keen on those, Im not sure how the numbers would work to make these viable though. BSG is presently a HUGE property and the Modern Cylon wave is limited to 6000 mates (500 cases x 12 mates), I cant see i, Robot mates pulling those kind of numbers.

Perhaps some kind of gift pack along the lines of number one mentioned above:

Set of 5 Minimates:

NS-5 Sonny, "evil" NS-5, NS-5 police, NS-4, Spooner

That way you've got most of the characters from the film covered (kinda), plus who wouldnt want a Will Smith minimate? Throw in a few alternate heads for the NS-s and personally I think that could sell, plus the pack could double for Army building, the only character really you'd end up with duplicates of is Spooner, and Im sure he'd be useful for customs.

Perhaps a run of only 1000 though? Without seen solid numbers on the i' Robot market I'd be sceptical about a larger run.

I agree with pretty much with all. I think they can be really cool. Don't think they will generate huge sales and probably the only thing they'll be good for is to get the word out a little. X3 mates, BSG, Rocky, it seems there are trying to tap into the TV and Movie licenses. Thing is, they need to be released within a reasonable amount of time. If you ask me, it's too late when the DVD is released. X3 is way past due, same as the legends figs.

Set of 5 Minimates:

NS-5 Sonny, "evil" NS-5, Dr. Calvin, NS-4, Spooner - Come on we have to have a female in there! :P

If they are released, I'll no doubt get them.

I've not seen the movie!

I'm torn, yes to any new minimates...but no if it slows prodiction of the likes of BSG & DC etc.

I'd buy them as I'm a minimate whore...but looking at what's decribed above I'd prefer Ady's idea of a ltd edition 5 pack rather than the whoel range with trucks and cars etc.

Also like Ady I'd wonder how well they'd sell and what sort of pricepoint they'd have to come up with to make or break even on something that would likely be low numbers, I dont want to be paying $40 for a pack of 5 minimates that I only have an interest in because they are minimates.

T.

Might be interesting, but there are far more other toy designs that could be done than just I, Robot...

All though atm I say nay, they could very easily return to a previous line and bring out some new additions or try and release something else they have the license too.

cheers,

Tk

Like Timbo, I say yes! New miniMates are always good, particularly cool SF mates.

That said, I hope this project is approached with caution, since it is understandably not going to have the mass appeal that Marvel or DC has.

A single boxed set, aimed at the speciality market, I'd say. Gotta find those cult film followers *and* the people who buy Reservoir Dogs Kubricks.

That said, I can't comment on the character choice, since I haven't seen the film. :blush: Except to say that police army builders would be great!

So Ady, is this AA asking you this?

I agree with a lot of what been said here: It's an older property that wasn't that hot to begin with. A small run of figures (like the 5-person box set) would sell to collectors and geeks in general, depending on price. The army builders (robots, cops) has no appeal outside of collectors, and would have to be really cheap to let them buy in bulk. The vehicles would be a near-impossible sell.

I was not a fan of the movie at all but I would buy 2" iRobot Minimates - 2.5" or 3" should be used only when producing characters in an accurate scale comes into play.

I like Ady's idea of a 5-pack (NS-5 Sonny, "evil" NS-5, NS-5 police, NS-4, Spooner) but I would love to see the proposed set with Spooner's Audi as well as the 4-packs of police figures. Go army building!

Thanks for posting this Ady and good luck to Pop Box Collectibles!

I think most are a good idea, but the police army builder packs just sound stupid. Some playsets would be awesome though. Spidey needs a car, and the more robots the better! All the way for 5-packs!

I think these would be WONDERFUL. Regardless of the fact that I did love the movie, these would just be cool awesome ace 'mates altogether. I think playsets and gift packs are the coolest thing toys can be distributed as, and I think these would actually boost popularity of the movie, even if it is old. Or better yet, release some kind of pair with a special edition DVD of the movie with the 'mates! As for price, um: Transport Carrier: $21.99. (this is thinking realistically) Police 4-Packs: $7.99. Silver Audi with Spooner: $14.99. NS-5 10-Pack: $17.99. 5-Pack of Various: $8.99. 5-Pack contains: Spooner (different then Audi Spooner), Robertson, Dr. Calvin, Sonny, NS-4, and Dr. Lanning. Availability: Limited, but still able to get in speciality shops. I'm not sure how much a "k" is, but I'd say 5,500 of each set world wide.

Side note: how would you do a VIKI minimate? Seriously.

Set of 5 Minimates:

NS-5 Sonny, "evil" NS-5, Dr. Calvin, NS-4, Spooner - Come on we have to have a female in there! :P

That right there, limit to 1000. Then call it quits. That is all.

I do find it interesting that as little as 2 months ago, people were SCREAMING for generic mates, as police men and fire men. Now that they have a chance, no one is interested.

Im still unsure about the number, to date (afaik) no Marvel 2-Pack Exclusives have sold out, and word is they are a 5k run, heck the indiemates were a 5k run and the're getting re solicited again, much as I'd love these Im really not sure the demand is there, if 5000 Marvel Mates are hard to move, surely;

Transport Carrier: $21.99. x5500

Police 4-Packs: $7.99. x5500

Silver Audi with Spooner: $14.99. x5500

NS-5 10-Pack: $17.99. x5500

5-Pack of Various: $8.99. x5500

Wouldnt move, thats 27,500 i' Robot related items. I cant see it. a couple of thousand total maybe....

Unless I'm just been overly pessimistic here?

I think most are a good idea, but the police army builder packs just sound stupid.

I think a lot of people want army builders of stuff like that, especially cops/civilians the massive factor here would be if they looked good with the other mates.

Oh, I know, escpecially considering how many police officers are in comics, like Batman and Daredevil. I just don't want em. BRING ON THE SCIENTOLOGIST! (Will Smith is, right?)

There are SO MANY other Movies and Video Game Characters that can be done as Minimates.......

Not to mention More Indie Comic sets that can me made.

WHY "I, Robot" ??

No thanks, I'd much rather have an Army of Darkness, Futurama, Pirates of the Caribbean, Men in Black, Big Trouble in Little China.......Hell, I'd even take a Matrix set over an I' Robot Set.

As I said before, I would buy these. I'm just not sure how many other people out there would. I could see army builder police and NS-5's, and I would definitely love the core character set. Even the vehicles and cargo containers would be really cool in my opinion, as anything which helps to expand and enrich the 'mate scaled universe is a welcome addition. However there have been valid concerns expressed regarding this concept. First of all, the lack of a current media tie-in. As a fan of the short lived Xevoz line by Hasbro (very cool toys if you haven't experienced them for yourself), I saw first hand how a line with an awesome concept can die on the shelves without having something to draw the new audience into the "universe." Secondly, the shipping schedule for the current 'mate offerings seems to be an issue already. I understand production difficulties can slow things down and are unavoidable sometimes. But would adding more irons to the fire slow things down even more? I don't know?

But I would buy them! :D

Meh. So many other lines that are better IMO. 5th Element, Lost in Space (original), Star Wars, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, GI Joe, Venture Brothers, Planet of the Apes, I can go on.