UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man 3 Minimates -

Nessex

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shapeways helped

Some nice sculpting going on there, I think the whole 3D printing industry is going to revolutionize the way people view customizing.

Two questions,

1) Can others order those parts?

2) How much Do they cost?

T.

shapeways helped

Some nice sculpting going on there, I think the whole 3D printing industry is going to revolutionize the way people view customizing.

Two questions,

1) Can others order those parts? yes

2) How much Do they cost? see website

T.

I will post the address on my customs page or e-mail me if you like.

Edited by Dave

We aren't allowed to.

Set did fine, as far as I know. AFX only had a small portion of them at the show. And response on this board was underwhelming, but I don't think that will reflect the response at retail.

>We aren't allowed to.

Set did fine, as far as I know. AFX only had a small portion of them at the show. And response on this board was underwhelming, but I don't think that will reflect the response at retail.

Which was the worst selling set of all time, Alpha Flight 1, Alpha Flight 2, or Thor? Just curious.

Hey now! Those were actually great sets!

Thor was only disappointing with the Beta Ray Bill triple re-use (TRU, LCBS & here). Loki was incredible, Sif was a very welcome addition, and Thor was to be expected when the set is called Thor, but still a good figure.

Alpha Flight, while a team I have no interest in whatsoever, is still well made, complete, and all new figures, no rereleases! It was really sad these didn't do better, because the principal behind them was one I'd love to see carried forward (Wrecking Crew!). Now it looks like we're not going to get any real team-builder 4-packs that don't have A-listers in them :(

As for the Iron Man 3 AFX SDCC set, I figured it was better to get one in person than to pay shipping later. It's still a very unexciting set but it wasn't really made for us anyway. But an inclusion of "Dummy" the robot would have gone a loooong way to making this set better and would have fit in perfectly, and I'd have paid an extra $5 to have him in there.

We aren't allowed to.

>We aren't allowed to.

Set did fine, as far as I know. AFX only had a small portion of them at the show. And response on this board was underwhelming, but I don't think that will reflect the response at r

etail.

Which was the worst selling set of all time, Alpha Flight 1, Alpha Flight 2, or Thor? Just curious.

Hey now! Those were actually great sets!

Thor was only disappointing with the Beta Ray Bill triple re-use (TRU, LCBS & here). Loki was incredible, Sif was a very welcome addition, and Thor was to be expected when the set is called Thor, but still a good figure.

Alpha Flight, while a team I have no interest in whatsoever, is still well made, complete, and all new figures, no rereleases! It was really sad these didn't do better, because the principal behind them was one I'd love to see carried forward (Wrecking Crew!). Now it looks like we're not going to get any real team-builder 4-packs that don't have A-listers in them sad.png

As for the Iron Man 3 AFX SDCC set, I figured it was better to get one in person than to pay shipping later. It's still a very unexciting set but it wasn't really made for us anyway. But an inclusion of "Dummy" the robot would have gone a loooong way to making this set better and would have fit in perfectly, and I'd have paid an extra $5 to have him in there.

I think there is a bit of confusion. I personally loved the Alpha Flight sets and have 3 of each version and I am contemplating a 4th which is what made me think what a second I have never had an SDCC exclusive be so available to me before . Also, if Diamond got burned on these niche sets that would make them gun shy and explain the DP, Thunderbolts, and Wolvie Sets. Again, I love them but then again I am a grown man obsessed with getting a Crystal minimate.

Technically they are all different/"new" figures because they have a blank red head underneath as opposed to the Tony head. Apart from the mark 3 and 2, there are only slight differences at best

Edited by kaipo

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick FYI, the "Hall of Armors" Mark I has a slight molding issue with the left foot, I'm assuming it is common as mine looked like Ivan's, only it was more pronounced. It initially looked like the feet were on the wrong legs.

fig1756flg.jpg

(Hail Ivan!)

A quick dip in boiling water fixed it right up, and now both feet can sit flat!

Edited by youbastards

• 3 weeks later...

It occurs to me that all the sculpted details (and the cost thereof) are what kept us from getting more new armors from Iron Man 3. Back in my day, Iron Man Minimates didn't have all that fancy, schmancy tooling! And we LIKED it!

Makes me wonder how many folks would have settled for an old-school line of Iron Man 3 Minimates with mostly a basic body and terrific tampos.

fig1072flg.jpgfig1422flg.jpgfig0577flg.jpgfig1612f4lg.jpg

(Hail Ivan!)

I agree with you for the most part. I personally like the sculpted helmet over the tampo'd plain head cap, but I think the sculpted upper arm and upper legs are a bit excessive; most of that detail could be easily achieved with tampos. Maybe do sculpted chest caps for bulkier armors (like Neo Classic), but as is shown in your examples, a lot of of IM's armors look just fine with tampos.

I suspect we got a lot more into sculpted parts for the movie line because it was intended to appeal to a broader audience than core Minimate collectors, and they wanted them to seem more "action figure-y" than the standard block bodies might look on casual appraisal.