UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man 3 Minimates -

Nessex

Zach, I'm curious: I'm sure you guys must have thought about the idea of designing up the box to look like a Hall of Armor. Is there some kind of license issue that limits you to only showing a certain percentage of the figure in package? Like, these are "adult collectables", not "toys," so they can't be shown in a full display box without paying a higher license fee, or tariffs, or some other wacky business thing? Back in the "blind box" days before the window packaging came back, I seem to recall the license being cited as a reason the line moved away from the full-view bubble packs.

Or, were you just thinking "this is a dumb cardboard box and people are going to throw it away, so who cares?"

Our license only allows us to show a certain portion of the figure. It used to be 0%. Now it's more. The original box design didn't even show all the figures. We tweaked it to get this way.

Working on something that may make it even cooler, I'll keep you posted.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this it for Iron Man 3?

With all those armors it seems pretty anti-climactic. I understand that most armor designs weren't released to licensees until a few weeks before the premiere but I guess I just have trouble with DST's policy of not revisiting movie properties, particularly ones that remain as incomplete as this one feels.

Unlike other films, these Iron Man movies seem to be evergreen properties. Just seems like a lot of opportunity left here. I mean, a year from now, I'd still be interested in a 4-pack of new movie armors or even an entire "Trilogy" series that included Whiplash's battlesuit.

Making more Iron Man 3 stuff means less comic stuff, or skipping another Marvel movie in the future. It's a tough decision, but we choose to move forward rather than dwell on what's behind.

And we actually designed a bunch of armors, but ultimately we had to choose a few key looks based on the script we read. Tooling up new parts is one of the biggest expenses in designing a line, and Iron Man armors fill up a tool pretty quick. Once you fill up a couple of solid metal tools with new parts, going to a new block increases the production costs a great deal -- too many tools, and you can't amortize the cost over the line. So we had to set a limit, and that limit extended to this box set.

If we'd had the full guide to all the armors (disco, etc.), maybe we could have picked some cool repaints using the same parts, but in the initial batch that was released to licensees, each one was completely unique. So we had to choose. Sorry, guys. I'm sure I got people's hopes up teasing this set, but I do think it's a great set. Hope nobody spends more than they want to in order to get their hands on Pepper Potts.

I just want to know if the armors are identitcal to their previous releases. Mark 1 looks slightly different from the two we already have, and of course the battle damaged Mark 3 is new. Mark 2 update we got with Rhodey, and the rest look the same to me. Are they distinguishable at all from earlier figures?

Second, I love the concept of the hall of armors, and the last ten pack we got was all rereleases too, except I was reeeeally hoping for some kind of display or maybe single armor bay "stands" to make it totally awesome. I think the simple inclusion of that would definitely sell the set to collectors like us, as well as make it that much better for everyone else

Going by the pics, Mk 1 is shinier silver with black details, Mk 2 is the old Mk 2/3 sculpt with the 4/5/6 headsculpt, Mk 3 is damaged, Mk 6 still has no silver thigh paint. Rest look the same.

I'm really curious as to a tray shot, and unhelmeted heads. It's probably too much to expect, but i'm hoping for individual face tampos and a few hairpieces. I'm assuming they have stands like most figures these days.

I'm really curious as to a tray shot, and unhelmeted heads. It's probably too much to expect, but i'm hoping for individual face tampos and a few hairpieces. I'm assuming they have stands like most figures these days.

I think Zach mentioned something about them coming with blank heads underneath.

I would spend a great deal to get my hands on Pepper Potts sir.

I went to Gwenneth Paltrow's Star Ceremony when she received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (and again for Scarlett Johansson's about a year later). I was given a spot back and to the right of the rear of the podium to stand each time, and was forced to spend both their ceremonies staring at their backsides during their speeches. When my wife joined me for Scarlett's, I was wise enough to bring my sunglasses so she couldn't track where my eyes were thumbsup.gif

I would spend a great deal to get my hands on Pepper Potts sir.

I went to Gwenneth Paltrow's Star Ceremony when she received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (and again for Scarlett Johansson's about a year later). I was given a spot back and to the right of the rear of the podium to stand each time, and was forced to spend both their ceremonies staring at their backsides during their speeches. When my wife joined me for Scarlett's, I was wise enough to bring my sunglasses so she couldn't track where my eyes were thumbsup.gif

Nice!

Didn't we get a battle-damaged Mark 3 in the Hostile Takeover box set?

Yup.

Thanks I thought I was going a bit mad. The way I've read about this set it seemed that there was a vibe of 'yeah but the mk3 is battle damaged' as if it was a new armour.

I'd much rather it fits in with the rest of the set and is factory new. Seems a bit out of place to have a knackered armour in your 'hall of armour'.

Anyone want to go 60/40 on the boxset? Pay $30 and youll get shipped the packaging and Iron Man Mark IV, V, VI, VII, XLII, & Tony Stark. If interested message me.

i got to see the hall of armor in person at disneyland.... it was so awesome, i took pics with each of the suits. i even reached out and touched a few of them when no one was looking.... ;)

"Chinese Factory Liberated" Tony Stark arrived today!

2013-06-17221829.png

2013-06-17221940.png

Very cute & I regret backing off from getting one myself thumbsup.gif

My years betray me at times especially when it comes to political correctness & 'Chinese Factory Liberated' Tony Stark got my old mind whirling with ideas which I'll have to shelve because these days I might be labelled racist which would, in itself, be hilarious.

I know what I'd like to call this guy....... but if ESPN can't say it then I'm going nowhere near it..........

post-638-0-41543600-1371540677_thumb.jpg

I'd love one.

Zach, I'm curious: I'm sure you guys must have thought about the idea of designing up the box to look like a Hall of Armor. Is there some kind of license issue that limits you to only showing a certain percentage of the figure in package? Like, these are "adult collectables", not "toys," so they can't be shown in a full display box without paying a higher license fee, or tariffs, or some other wacky business thing? Back in the "blind box" days before the window packaging came back, I seem to recall the license being cited as a reason the line moved away from the full-view bubble packs.

Or, were you just thinking "this is a dumb cardboard box and people are going to throw it away, so who cares?"

Our license only allows us to show a certain portion of the figure. It used to be 0%. Now it's more. The original box design didn't even show all the figures. We tweaked it to get this way.

DSTZach do you have an update on the thing that will make the packaging cooler?

DSTZach do you have an update on the thing that will make the packaging cooler?

*holds breath