UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man 3 Minimates -

Nessex

What stands do they come with? The hard plastic ones seen in Strange Tales and Best of 2?

Sorry for the late reply but, no, they don't come with the hard plastic stands. At first that disappointed me but after trying both with my Hall of Armor display, the softer, rubber stands fit better. I'd buy those by the dozen even though some are warped.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zach, I'm curious: what's the thinking behind doing sculpted upper arm pieces on these, and from a broader perspective, sculpted "core" pieces (base body parts rather than add-ons) on almost all of the movie Iron Man figures you've done? Is it purely a design aesthetic thing, like you have the budget to do some extra sculpting, and it's a little more streamlined than arm or leg caps? Or is it a marketing decision, aimed at making the movie figures specifically look more like action figures than block figures?

I really don't know. We don't sculpt the same amount on comic Iron Men? I'd have to sit down and take a look. I'll ask Robert if there's an easy answer, but if I don;t come back with something, ask Chuck at SDCC (or Ask DST) or Robert at NYCC.

I think what Lobby's referring to is that most movie Iron Men have arms and legs with sculpted details (rather then a slipover piece), whereas comics ones mostly do not. Looking at the Database, and outside of outliers like Hulkbuster and Phoenixbuster, the only comics Iron Man I see with specially sculpted legs is the TRU wave 14 one (which no one seemed to like, ironically enough).

I think it may be the source material. Many comic armors are drawn smoothly, which a standard Minimate arm mimics. The movie armors have 3D (maybe) reference and DST possibly even has access to the 3D scans. They can use this to create a distinct look, which adds a lot of character to the movie mates and really distinguishes them from the comic waves. Maybe.

And I have no idea what went wrong with TRU 14 Iron Man. The legs don't stay on and they look almost too small. Why couldn't DST use one of the movie molds?

beg.gif

I have to see the movie again, but in the montage of the credits, if there is an appearance of Whiplash MK2, that could be a loophole for finally getting that 'mate. I know I saw Monger, but didnt think to look for Whiplash...

Edited by youbastards

They're definitely out! My store got them in, got a set of 4 with my Discount (wanted an extra Extremis and i love the Mk 42 Yellow).

Heartbreaker and Silver Centurion are really cool, definitely the best of the armors. Techy Tony is lots of fun (love the little headset print), and the Ml 42 looks so much better in Yellow. I think i'll use the gold one as the "prototype" from the film, and pretend the Yellow is a post-film final armor.

Amusingly, my store never gets in 'mates in the first weeks, and we haven't seen TRU 15 yet either.

Read the report here and checked out the two closest TRU's. Both had gotten one case per store.

They were in the Iron Man section in the action figure aisles. Not in the large upfront display.

It's strange that TRU got these in on a Sunday. Were these being held for a release date?

Went to my store. Nothing on the shelves (just wave 15). So I asked the lady at the Customer Service desk if they were in the back. Long story short, I got in an arguement with her about the difference between wave 15 and Iron Man movie wave. I said that they were two different item #'s while she insisted that they are all the same and randomly boxed. Clearly I know more than she does and in retail the customer is always right. Finally she came up with one case in the back, but when she came back all there was was wave 15. Ugh I'm sure they were there. My TRU just sucks. FUTRU.gif

Anyway, these all look great from the pics I've seen. I'm going to pick up the specialty wave at my local comic shop this week.

Went to my store. Nothing on the shelves (just wave 15). So I asked the lady at the Customer Service desk if they were in the back. Long story short, I got in an arguement with her about the difference between wave 15 and Iron Man movie wave. I said that they were two different item #'s while she insisted that they are all the same and randomly boxed. Clearly I know more than she does and in retail the customer is always right. Finally she came up with one case in the back, but when she came back all there was was wave 15. Ugh I'm sure they were there. My TRU just sucks. FUTRU.gif

Anyway, these all look great from the pics I've seen. I'm going to pick up the specialty wave at my local comic shop this week.

Just working for TRU, i'm just gonna mention how untrue "the customer is always right" is and how much that irritates me. And please, never say "i clearly know more than she does." Sorry, i don't mean to make you an example, but that really pisses me off. I know most collectors like to THINK they know more than TRU employees, but with our system...most really don't. Yes, the packs have different item #s and UPCs, but she openly told you all the ones she had were the same. Did you give her the IM3 item number or just tell her to check the name? If you went by name, then the system only says what they have, which is what she pulled and said she had. Even if they were slated to arrive, the system would have shown an approved acceptance for the store.

Again, i don't mean to be an ass, but working in retail and especially at TRU, that mentality is beyond ridiculous.

Just working for TRU, i'm just gonna mention how untrue "the customer is always right" is and how much that irritates me. And please, never say "i clearly know more than she does." Sorry, i don't mean to make you an example, but that really pisses me off. I know most collectors like to THINK they know more than TRU employees, but with our system...most really don't. Yes, the packs have different item #s and UPCs, but she openly told you all the ones she had were the same. Did you give her the IM3 item number or just tell her to check the name? If you went by name, then the system only says what they have, which is what she pulled and said she had. Even if they were slated to arrive, the system would have shown an approved acceptance for the store.

Again, i don't mean to be an ass, but working in retail and especially at TRU, that mentality is beyond ridiculous.

Sorry to get off topic here, but I want to clear this up. When I first went up, I asked her to look it up by name (Iron Man 3 minimates). She only entered into the computer: Minimates. It came back saying that there were 11 on the shelves and to check in the Marvel aisle. Having already checked all the aisles, I informed her that the only packs left out were TASM and wave 15. She seemed to think that she knew what she was talking about, and insisted that ALL Minimates were shipped in the same boxes whether they were TASM, wave 15, or Iron Man 3 (randomly packed) and that they all have the same item #. I polietly told her that the Item #s were different (having had similar expierences in tracking down cases there before). I asked her what # she came up with and i matched it with the wave 15 item # that I had written down before when trying to find them. I told her that the item number was different for IM3 and gave her that #. She refused to accept that but said in a rude manner that she had a case of minimates in the back and would go bring it out for me. She came back with two Firelord/Airwalker packs. I told her that I was not interested in those and they were from the wave with the first item #. She refused to believe me so I left without a purchase. Please note though that this TRU is completely useless in the customer service department. The store is dirty with stock thrown all over the shelves, and I once saw a manager reprimanding an employee in front of me and other customers. There has only been one employee there that has ever been really helpfull in trying to track down the product that I was after (unfortunately he wasn't there today). The only reason I still shop there is because the next nearest TRU is 30 min away.

Edited by CBMM1

*snip*

Thanks for not taking that as a personal attack, wasn't meant as one.

That does sound far beyond what the standard code is, that's just pitiful. Area or Regional Manager should be overhauling that store; most would usually bring in a consistently successful General Manager. Such a shame. Definitely ask for the manager on duty next time; usually a pin-up of their name by the Customer Service desk.

Regardless, probably didn't have them in anyway. I'd be glad you even found Wave 15 haha!

On-topic: These were almost totally cleared out today; one of each left, except all Centurion sets were gone. I'm taking that as a VERY good sign for both the film and the line.

The TRU wave is pure sales WIN. Every pack has an IronMan armour in it. The recognition factor alone would make these sets popular for the non-collector markets, even if the film wasn't doing super-well... which it kind of is....

If someone would be so kind as to help me out with the TRU exclusives, I'd appreciate it.

I'm low on gas and pretty much out of money in my bank account (and payday's Friday), but I have money in my Paypal (and by the time I transferred it to my bank, it'd be payday, or shortly after, lol).

Or, I've got 2 comic shop Mark 42/Mandarins & 2 Iron Patriots (no Extremis soldiers) to trade.

Otherwise, I hope they don't show up here until next week (I have a convention all weekend and won't be able to hunt).