UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

An Unexpected Journey

BannersID

I see a few people now and then on this site air out things that go on in their life on these boards, mostly because of the decided sense of respect for others I feel here I think. Today is my turn. My wife and I have been out of work for a while now and things are somewhat dire. She got a job offer in Oregon and we are scheduled to hit the road Sunday. Money is silly tight for the move and has boiled down to the two of us packing what we can in and on our cars and making the trek cross country from Chicago. To say I am afraid is something of an understatement. This feels like either the ballsiest thing I have ever undertaken or the stupidest, probably a good helping of both. Anyway, I imagine living in a new city with no contacts (also called friends) I imagine I will present a more vocal presence here, this site is something I enjoy quite a lot. If any of you could call on your Gods and ask for a safe journey for the two of us I think that would be great.

Edited by BannersID

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your in my prayers my friend and I gotta tell yeah Oregon is a beautiful state.Where in Oregon if you don't mind me asking?

both great places. Vancouver Wa or Portland Or I know I would choose Portland if the choice was a option. Portland is a fun little city but both are full of good people

Edited by eclipse

Good luck to you on your move,never look back & always look forward .....I'm sure it's all for the best . You've got the best friend you'll ever have with you on your journey so how can you go wrong ? :thumbsup:

Typed for truth.

Thanks to all, I will keep folks posted as I can. Thank You.

I wouldn't say you don't have any contacts (also called friends) in Portland,

Get in touch when you get here and I'll buy you "a welcome to Portland" beer and please feel free to pick my brain with any questions that might help you get settled.

Have a safe journey!

T.

Fortune favors the bold.

Greater the risk, greater the reward.

Cliches, true. But they became so for a reason. Be praying for you.

Good luck to you and your wife.

It is a pretty gutsy thing to do, I respect your courage and I hope it works out for the best for you.

Godspeed!

I thought this was a Hobbit thread, not a real cool adventure story. I've been up to Portland and it's a nice city. In fact my four kids are from Oregon. I think you will enjoy it.

If you haven't encountered this yet, it is illegal to pump your own gas. So stay in your car. An attendant will work the "self serve" pump foreyou. I never got a clear answer on why this was a law but someone said the law was put into place to provide jobs for the homeless.

As far as jobs go, Nike is a big employer in the area. A lot of big companies post jobs on their company sites before listing externally so it's worth a shot contacting the HR divisions to inquire about openings at some of the bigger places.

That's about all the advice I can offer but definitely have TBT buy you a beer. Go Ducks!

I wish you all the best. I feel it's okay to be scared, but it's all about facing it and standing by your choices. Plus, you have the greatest asset of all, your wife. You two need to be each others rock during this. My lady and I had some hard times not too long ago, and the only way we made it through was with the help of each other. Again, I wish you all the best, and that everything works out for two.