UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Cloth Retro Action Figures

I've been collecting the old Mego-style Star Trek Retro figures and bridge set. Anyone have fond memories of those sets from childhood? These were some of my favorite toys growing up.

I'm happy that I was able to get the whole bridge crew now.

I also ordered the Mirror Mirror Spock & Kirk set as well as the Star Trek:TNG set with Picard and Borg - hope to see more.

Also out are Real Ghostbusters, Planet of the Apes, Six Million Dollar Man, Twilight Zone, Universal Monsters, BSG and, of course, remakes of the old DC superheroes.

Anyone else collecting these?

loved the trek and planet of the apes megos as a kid my favorite mego item was a star trek electronic battle game, it was large, simple and REAL loud. made my parents insane with phaser, photon and red alert noises.... I loved it.

Bought Egon but returned it when I couldn't find the other three. Never saw twilight zone ones in store either. Missed opportunity. ):

I rounded a lot of that set up at Marshall's for $9.99. Got the TRU exclusive with Janine, slimer and Samhain on clearance for $17.98 at TRU - it comes with a 2-story, firehouse facade out of cardboard.

I passed on Twilight zone, though I came close a couple of times

The pride of my collection are my original Megos. I had them as a kid, and now as an adult. All of the World's Greatest Superheroes, Star Trek, and a few others. Also the playsets & vehicles. The batcave was my fave as a kid, so now its joined by the Wayne Foundation, a Mongomery Wards exclusive way back then. Still missing a couple pieces of the Jokermobile, and a couple arrows for the Green Arrow Car. I started to buy the new DC ones Mattel put out, but didn't really care for them. I wouldn't mind the Sulu and Chekov the other company made to finish my crew, but haven't bought them yet. I saw the Flash Gordon and Battlestar Galactica ones at a show recently and was very tempted, but passed. Best of all, the Batsignal from the batcave still works! :)

Oh, and the TRU near me has the Janine/Samhaine set for 9.98. I may get it when I go back if they're still there.

Edited by MrClean

These are about 8" tall, as were the original Mego (and similar in size to DST's cancelled line of ST, ST;TNG and Stargate figures.

We had bunches of the DC guys when I was growing up too, including Batman, Penguin, Joker, Aquaman, Superman, Robin. I noticed the DC remakes' hands are different than I remember, and they don't come with the vinyl gloves anymore - I used to think the Batmobile was great.

I'm really disappointed that DST cancelled the Rand and Chapel figures and I'm still hunting for the re-issue Romulan and Khan exclusives

I picked up the first bunch of Venture Brothers figures which were really cool, but I tryed to put together the

'cut out and assemble' H.E.L.P.r robot on the back of their cards and it was an utter mess. Just the worst cardboard

to try this with, it would not bend smoothly, it would buckle and tear. I was really sad, because H.E.L.P.r is a major

part of the Venture Brothers' daily lives.

I've picked up a good smattering of the DC ones, though there's still a few that I need. It's unfortunate that the line died before getting deeper into the DCU. I was REALLY hoping for a Mego style Blue Beetle.:verymad: I was also interested in getting the Lost ones, but I'm not sure that I ever saw them at retail, and that line seemed to die rather quickly. Unfortunately, I suspect that the interest in these figures probably doesn't offset the cost enough to make them all that feasible. I had a bunch of these when I was a kid, and still have fond memories of them.

I have many original Mego WGSH figures. A couple were mine as a kid. I picked up Creature of the Black Lagoon a few days back and he is a cool figure, but I don't see me buying many more of these.

I have 14 of the original Megos from the 70's (Superman & girl, Wonder Woman & Girl, Kid Flash, Batman , Robin, Batgirl, Thor, Spider-Man and the Fantastic 4. I bought Thor and Spider-Man because of the work Toy Fare magazine did with them in Twisted Toy Fare Theater. THat stuff was hilarious. I still want to pick up an Iron Man for the same reason. I bought them all on ebay and don't have any from my childhood, I remember throwing Kid Flash, Robin and Captain America out when we lost our house back in 1989. I loved the Retro Actin stuff Mattel did and I have all of the DC Super Heroes they released. I also picked up all four of the Ghostbusters but haven't gotten the Janine 2 pack yet. I know I'm going to wind up waiting too long to get it for $10 and then will be mad when I have to resort to ebay for it lol. I wish I could afford the Hall of Justice or the Batcave and a couple of the vehicles but the prices are out of the range of what I am looking to spend.

Star Trek Mirror Mirro 2-pk is came out this week.

Nice replicas, though I think these were manufactured by a different company for DST - like the Pike retro figure, the texture of the heads is different.

BTW: if you have the ST;TNG set, there was an packagin error when those shipped a few months ago - you can write DST to get the phaser and belt that should have been included.