UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Arms - double hinge on a 2''?

I noticed a members avatar image showed a minimate with arms that looked similar to the 3'' minimate arms (i.e. a 2 sided elbow hinge instead of a single sided elbow hinge). Has the 3'' minimate arm style been used on 2'' minimates before? I really like that style of arm and would like to know which specific mates used that arm style if so .

Edited by Customizer

I'm not sure I understand the difference, any body want to take an action shot?

If you look at a front view of the 3" Minimate in that link to Ivan's Database, you can see the lower arm inserts between a pair of flanges to make the hinge.

Our now-standard 2" 'Mate has a single flange overlapping with another single flange. I do believe that is the difference Customizer is talking about.

Over the years, the 2" body has actually enjoyed a greater range of motion even compared to their 3" predecessors. I agree with Twisted Two-Face; we'd need another point of articulation like a bicep cut in order to be able to hold rifles better.

I have to disagree with you on that, PL. The 3" Minimates have a distinctly wider RoM in the shoulder (they can raise their arms level with their shoudlers) and hips. The only point the little brothers win is in the elbow, 3" 'Mates stopping shy of a 90-degree bend.

Edited by Cappy

I have to disagree with you on that, PL. The 3" Minimates have a distinctly wider RoM in the shoulder (they can raise their arms level with their shoudlers) and hips. The only point the little brothers win is in the elbow, 3" 'Mates stopping shy of a 90-degree bend.

You're right, Cap. I don't have one in front of me but now that you mention it I do recall the shoulder joints giving the arm a bit more range. I think AA left out the notch that allows for that in favor of a more aesthetically pleasing shoulder. Personally I'm still amazed they got as much articulation out of the 2" body as they did.

I totally got the wrong end of the stick with this, I thought you were going to try to customise a floating elbow or knee joint,

a double jointed elbow or knee for extra poseability. I was thinking that would be epic!