UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Collectibles is doing Q&As now

hellpop

I would like to see stephanie return as spoiler.

I don't want this thread to die so what about doing some wishlists?It could be a fun way to wait till the next Q&A.Also,do you think we will gain anything from this movement?I myself am really optimistic.The company has changed,dc direct has changed,they seem more open to new ideas now and i think that they would like to market the new 52 as much as possible.With action figures you can't produce many characters in little time while with minimates you can.Almost every two months a new wave comes out with more characters than an action figure wave.Also,lego doesn't count because to say the truth they release a spaceship,a vehicle,a small room with batman and maybe another hero and call it a day.IF they return i'd like them to do it with a 4pack in sdcc (any sdcc,preferably next year'sbiggrin.gif).

Also how many have voted?The top choice has 275 votes.We are almost 2000 members here.I hope more can vote and take us one step closer to dc.

Edited by Kostisfire

I voted. Yippee. But I'm more than a little worried about the DC Collectible fanbase. The question clearly says that a character request poll is on the way so save character requests for later. The top vote-getters right now are... all character requests. Hopefully the PTB will remove character requests before the final vote tally. Because right now, once you take away specific character requests, Please bring back DC Minimates is doing pretty well.

I re read the post and since character requests don't count then we are second if asking for a price drop is valid.Anyway if more people vote then i think dc will at least consider it.Do you think we have a chance?Because i think we are steps away from succeeding! A lot of steps but we are closer than ever before!

Edited by Kostisfire

I'll be honest that this is the kind of movement I'd be willing to get behind. For the first time in a long time there's a new company working with DC that wants to know what fans want and is willing to try things differently. I love how they're testing the waters with the 3 3/4" figures (although I'm not sure what's so hard to figure out-release wanted characters with modern articulation that don't look like they were made in 1984) and I think that for the first time in a long time I can actually see a possibility for DC to return.

@MisterPL - Not sure how the whole DC Direct/DST licensing works as I dont think we ever got a definitive answer that licensing and price killed DC Direct line. I think that has just been the dominant speculation because they retailed at a higher price. I mean, Icon Heroes is making it work with Thundercats. But your overall, point is yes demand from TRU would be the best chance to spur a DC Minimates return. My fear is that TRU is a bit harder to message but i could be wrong. I also think DC Collectibles is more closely aligned with WBCP but I could be wrong.

From what I understand, licensing wasn't an issue with the DC Direct Minimates. As divisions of DC Comics, DC Direct (and now DC Collectibles) didn't have to pay any licensing fees. They hired Art Asylum as they would have any other freelance designer/sculptor for figures or statues. I believe the added cost came in when they used DST as a third-party manufacturer as well. That made the retail of the DC Minimates roughly $2 more than the Marvel 'mates. But it wasn't just about price either.

If memory serves, there were some significant delays getting the first waves to retailers. What was supposed to be spread out over the course of two years ended up coming out in one and the market was quickly overwhelmed. Character variety was impressive but figures that could have easily anchored an entire series (Superman, Batman, et al) were offered within the same wave. I'm sure DST/AA had some input in the character selection but it was probably minimal since DCD ended up offering characters like Superman, Batman and Green Lantern in the same wave.

As for the current situation, DC Collectibles is still a small group of people but now they're working on the west coast under the DC Entertainment banner instead of on the east coast in the same building with DC Comics. While Warner Bros. Consumer Products has taken over licensing duties for DC Comics, it's my understanding WBCP and DCC aren't as "tight" as DCD was with the licensing group at DC. We can keep telling DCC how much we miss DC Minimates but I think we'd be preaching to the choir, just like bringing it up to DST with every Q&A. That said, DCC is certainly in a better position to remind WBCP from time to time but like I said, a retailer like TRU is going to carry much more weight as a buyer. DCC might try offering DC 'mates but they'd be up against the same licensing restrictions that DCD was up against; Mattel's toy license. That's something DCC can do nothing about but WBCP can.

Anyone wanting to contact TRU about how much they LOVE Minimates and buy them ALL the time but wish that they would offer DC Minimates (hint hint) can do so via this link.

In the meantime, the Ask DCC venue isn't necessarily a bad idea, it's just that there may not be much they'll be able to do if folks are expecting a mass market line. I'd certainly be interested in what they CAN do, though. The fact that there's even an "Ask DCC" signifies a positive shift in collector relations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q&A's like that make me appreciate the interaction we get from DST. I'm reminded not to take Chuck and Zach for granted after reading such a pathetic, dickless response to DCC's consumer base.

In all fairness their nebulus reply may have something to do with being a division of a publicly traded company but it's still a shitty way to interact with collectors.

Q&A's like that make me appreciate the interaction we get from DST. I'm reminded not to take Chuck and Zach for granted after reading such a pathetic, dickless response to DCC's consumer base.

In all fairness their nebulus reply may have something to do with being a division of a publicly traded company but it's still a shitty way to interact with collectors.

i thouht that we could finally get a chance to show to dc that there is a market but nooooooo,they prefer the "we know better than those so called fans.Now,lets make batman a god entity,make him kill anti-monitor and produce figures with limited articulation and little to no character variety!" route.