UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Blind Bags

I know this has been brought up before, and there were several good reasons why it didn't work 2 years ago. But with the almost explosion of blind bags here in the states and the proverbial cash cow coming home to roost (butchered that reference) what do y'all think the odds are of blind bag Minimate packs? Especially under $3. I could see them trying something with a small run with little/minimal accs.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wont happen Chuck loathes blind bagged stuff.

T.

I'd say those are really good odds against it happening then. I was just thinking with Lego, Megablocks, Hasbro and whoever else proving it can be done with a fairly wide profit margin, it may have loosened some feelings.

I think it would be a good way to get different kinds of Blanks, civilian or basic themed figures into the market.

I myself would enjoy more blanks with different schemes like clear, metallic, glow in the dark, Chrome, maybe different image textures like Brick, Marble, tree bark.....I dunno

In one blind pack, you could get a mate, a random style of base and maybe an accessory of some sort.

Edited by jcastick

I think it would be a good way to get different kinds of Blanks, civilian or basic themed figures into the market.

I myself would enjoy more blanks with different schemes like clear, metallic, glow in the dark, Chrome, maybe different image textures like Brick, Marble, tree bark.....I dunno

In one blind pack, you could get a mate, a random style of base and maybe an accessory of some sort.

You know, if Luke's listening, that might be a really good idea for the toy store. Design six simple textured customs and blind bag 'em.:thumbsup:

Or maybe, so there is slightly less hatred for blind packs, for example series one could be clowns. There is one basic design with only slight variations, maybe 5 "Different" designs and have 1 "Super rare" design per series. The differences in the super rare figure could be that it's an evil clown, it's transparent, comes with a different accessory, whatever. Possibly do cases of 12 and there would be 2 of each one per case.....so the super rare really isn't that rare, it's just more different than the others. So if you wanted all the figures, just buy the case or if you just wanted a few for "army building" then just buy a few.

Blanks, my first series would be basic....6 different skin tones, Caucasian to African American and make the "Super Rare" one alien skin, reptile, zombie or robot or something.

Just some thoughts.

This would be cool. Lego makes these blind bags thingys, with just random avarage type of characters.

But I think it would be better in a blind box? Because minimates are more of a collectors toy line,not like lego,wher mostly kids and custom makers buy them.

But I think it would be a cool idea(if its only avarage character like figures,like army builders)

But I think it would be better in a blind box? Because minimates are more of a collectors toy line,not like lego,wher mostly kids and custom makers buy them.

But DST has said several times that their main target audience is children.

But if you see,most people that collect them are kids older then 14 and up.

Legos are for 7 year olds to 12(even though some people collect them,like me)

But if we all see,most people that collect minimates are 14 up to 40 or so.

Plus,ther boxes say 8+...

But I might be wrong(Because if I saw people buying a minimate set,they were adults)

Edited by MM-Royalninja

Yeah, again, given that the actual word from DST is that the main customer of Minimates are either kids, or the parents of children purchasing for their kids, I'm going to have to listen to the official line and not the, how do you say, "closed world" mindset of a fan(s).

• 2 years later...

So.

Blind bags.

How's that working out?

I'm sure from DST's perspective it's been a modest success. It got Minimates into Kmart and GameStop. However, blind bags didn't keep Minimates in either retailer. So in the short term, I suppose it's a win. Long term, not so much.

I've argued that the fault was with the packaging. No reasonable consumer is going to risk their disposable income on a product they're never heard of and isn't fully depicted on the package. Nevermind the random nature of the gimmick itself, not knowing exactly which character you'll get. To the uninitiated at Kmart and GameStop, the package did nothing to let potential collectors know what the hell a "Minimates" is.

It would appear that this style of packaging – though it may be cheaper than blister cards or window boxes – isn't exactly helping the Minimates brand. Toys R Us certainly doesn't shy away from blind packaging but they took TMNT Minimates on blister cards instead. Walgreens is jumping on board the Minimates trains and it's not because of blind bags. They're taking window boxes.

Apparently there are some specialty retailers still interested in taking blind bags but i have to wonder if it's because it's the only way to get the properties they want.

So are blind bags still the shape of things to come? Or is this an experiment that should be shelved for another decade or so?