UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

NYCC 2012 Discussion Thread

NY con starts Thursday (and news otherwise has been light), so I thought I'd throw this up so we can start rabidly speculating about what we will and won't see, then talk about what we do and don't see.

They'll almost certainly have all of the imminent releases on display – Marvel 47 and 48; TRU 14; Walking Dead 1 and 2; Battle Beasts 1; Universal Monsters 3; SFxT 1 and 2; Thundercats 3. So what new stuff might they show?

Marvel wave 49: Maybe prototypes? We saw wave 48 in San Diego, and DST tends to show at least one new wave at cons. But, if this is the IM3 wave as suspected and there's an embargo on showing movie art, we might see nothing.

Marvel wave 50 (Fan wave): Possibly design sheets, doubtful prototypes. These are a way out from release – I'd guess still a year, especially if a previous comment of it maybe being swapped with wave 51 holds true – so I don't expect to see much. Maybe some of the design sheets at the panel to keep us clamoring fans happy.

TRU Marvel wave 15: Probably prototypes? There's not another major con to reveal at until Toyfair in February, which is about when wave 15 should be hitting shelves. So, if not now, we likely won't see them in person until they're in hand.

TRU AvX box set: Prototypes. Given that we know all six of the poll choices exist, we've seen four of them, and the set can't be more than two months from release, I'd say protos of the final lineup are a sure bet. Maybe they'll show the other two just for fun.

Strange Tales box set: Prototypes. They already showed the prototypes in solicits, so there's really no reason not to.

Battle Beasts wave 2: Maybe design sheets? The prototypes for these look like they're considerably more time-intensive to make, so I doubt we'll see any new ones. Might we see design sheets in the panel? I'm going to bet on no. They seem to be taking things reeeaaaal slow and steady with this line, and wave 1 won't even be in full distribution until early next year. I'd guess they save anything to do with wave 2 until Toyfair (and after they've had a chance to gauge the strength of the line).

Walking Dead 3: Maybe prototypes? Like BB, this has been a line with a long gestation period, and we still don't have any actual product in hand. However, I think this could be a line with good sell-through, so maybe they decide to strike while the iron is hot and the show is top-of-mind with everyone. I could see them showing protos to keep the buzz up.

Street Fighter x Tekken 3: Maybe design sheets? On one hand, we saw later waves of MvC3 a long time before they actually hit; on the other hand, there's that comment that wave 3 hasn't been planned yet (if still the case). Frankly, I'd be surprised to see anything new from this line, but maybe they'll throw out some fan love during the panel in the form of design sheets for fan-favorite SF characters (Blanka, Dhalsim?)...

Thundercats box set 4: Probably prototypes. We've seen all the others in prototype form, and obviously the contents of box 4 aren't being held as a surprise, as we saw the Mumm-Ra design sheet in San Diego.

I think Zach's said there aren't any new lines being premiered this time, so those are my guesses for this show.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my guess is we will see 49 plans, maybe not all the designs or slots, but at least the premise...im also guessing we will see TRU wave 15 since Zach has been teasing us with the line up for a while now...and id expect to see some new Battle Beasts plans, even if they aren't all for wave 2

Pic from the Minimate Twitter feed - posters for the Minimate 10th Anniversary exhibit.

post-66-0-33380100-1349875885_thumb.jpg

Would love to have copies of these. I'd love to have posters of a lot of the box artwork, actually. Oh, Giant Size X-Men #1 Boxed Set poster of my dreams...

And this morning they post a picture of the original Minimate designs:

post-66-0-23401700-1349877365_thumb.jpg

Edited by boyd

They've really come a long way. No disparagement intended, but those original designs look like back-of-the-napkin concept sketches compared with the level of detail we see now. It's definitely easy to understand how those who fell in love with the simplicity and consistency of the original Minimates design could be put off by how the line has evolved.

If you look at the elbow joints on the original design poster they have the old 3" design. Was the Marvel line initially going to be in the 3" scale? Or did the original 2" Minimate have the same elbow joint as it's larger brother?

If you look at the elbow joints on the original design poster they have the old 3" design. Was the Marvel line initially going to be in the 3" scale? Or did the original 2" Minimate have the same elbow joint as it's larger brother?

Marvel is the reason AA created a 2" Minimate body. Because of Toy Biz, AA wasn't allowed to offer figures over 2". Good eye on the elbow joint, though. I'm pretty sure that's unique to the 3" 'mate.

Marvel is the reason AA created a 2" Minimate body. Because of Toy Biz, AA wasn't allowed to offer figures over 2". Good eye on the elbow joint, though. I'm pretty sure that's unique to the 3" 'mate.

Right. I forgot about the height restriction. I wonder if they made a few 3" Marvel mock-ups before they hammered out the conditions of the license?

Also neat is the original hand design and the knee joint looks different as well.

1349976353[/url]' post='247085']

Do we have a person on the floor? I hunger for news! :teehee:

I'm on the bus to New York right now. And we just bought an Ipad this summer, so I've actually got a mobile device to take into the con (though wireless at the Javitz Center is notoriously unreliable). And I even decided to show my colors and wear my Minimate shirt. This is a big deal for me, because I NEVER wear comics related stuff to cons. But I'm representing the brand, y'all.

So anyone have any questions they want asked?

1349977593[/url]' post='247089']

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that nycc is better than sdcc?Lego turtles,lego superheroes,gi joe kreons,the new mates we'll see.

San Diego has just gotten too big. I definitely wouldn't say that NYCC is better as far as reveals, because everyone still programs their year around it, but it's probably more fun.

Edited by hellpop

Do we have a person on the floor? I hunger for news! :teehee:

I'm on the bus to New York right now. And we just bought an Ipad this summer, so I've actually got a mobile device to take into the con (though wireless at the Javitz Center is notoriously unreliable). And I even decided to show my colors and wear my Minimate shirt. This is a big deal for me, because I NEVER wear comics related stuff to cons. But I'm representing the brand, y'all.

So anyone have any questions they want asked?

Ask if they are really working on a revived line!Chuck said that they are working on something they have worked before in the latest askdst.And the usual,shold we expect any new lines etc.Also if you went to the dc booth ou could ask,i dunno,about dc mateswhistling.gif.Anyway,thanks for the opportunity to have our questions asked and answered!