UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wii U

JeffBohn

"Rise from your graves!"

I channeled my best Altered Beast voice for this thread. :)

In a state of whimsy, I picked up a Wii U. I've been nostalgic for Nintendo games of my youth and wanted to introduce my daughter to Zelda. We've been playing Wind Waker HD and New Super Mario U. The system gets a bad rap, the hardware is nice and the gamepad serves much more function [and is much lighter] than I thought it would.

Any recommendations for games? I want to get Mario World 3D, Pikman 3, and DK Tropical Freeze at some point. I guess there is a Zelda/Dynasty Warriors style game coming soon?

My son just got Mario 3D world. Its pretty good. imo, because its 3d, it can sometimes be difficult to control the character, but doesnt detract from the game at all. If you like Mario, then you will like this. Also my son (6yo) likes Nintendoland. Not super awesome mini games, but some are fun. and also the Lego games. Cant go wrong with those. Disney Infinity is pretty cool.

*sorry all games for younger audiences...but my kids are 6 and 8. :)

Cool, thanks. We have Infinity and Lego Marvel for the 360, so I'll most likely just stick with Wii U exclusives for that system. I heard the Lego City Undercover was good, but can't justify paying $40+ for another Lego game. So Nintendoland is just Nintendo themed mini-games? I'll have to look into it.

Mario Kart 8 will be out at end of the month, plus you can get a free game download. Pikmin 3 is a great game, my kids enjoy playing it. I'll also echo Ninja that Nintendoland is a fairly fun game, much better multiplayer fun than Wii U Party. We like/play Mario 3D more than we have New Super Mario U in this house; my daughter loves LOVES the cat-suit and being able to play as Peach. DK Tropical Freeze is simply a beautiful game but steep learning curve to get to higher levels, especially for beginner to moderate players.

YB, if nostalgia was a motivating factor, you might want to try these NES Remix games. I haven't played them yet but they got good reviews and look like a fun concept, basically repurposing all the old 8-bit games into mini challenges.

if you're interested. I think they also came out with a Dr. Luigi download a while back.

Cool, thanks. We have Infinity and Lego Marvel for the 360, so I'll most likely just stick with Wii U exclusives for that system. I heard the Lego City Undercover was good, but can't justify paying $40+ for another Lego game. So Nintendoland is just Nintendo themed mini-games? I'll have to look into it.

While Lego City Undercover is the one Lego game I have had the least amount of play time, my kids play it a lot. and from what I can tell, has the longest playing time. SO much to do in that game. its worth it. Also I got a used copy from go hastings as I didnt want to pay full price either. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This seems like the right thread for this:

F**KING MARIO MAKER!!!!

I thought I could live without a WiiU, but this is something I *neeed*, especially if there’s an option to download other people’s uploaded courses...

of course in a perfect world this would draw from “Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3” (yeah, it had a weird title) where it has ALL the power-ups currently seen in Mario games (or at least all of them that would make sense in 2D) available for use, vegetables from Mario 2 and Yoshi being able to be included in the levels, and a wider selection of enemy types beyond the Mario 1 set... I would certainly love for Luigi (and dare I say, Toad or Peach) to be playable as well with his (their?!) unique move set, but I’m sure they need to make sure I buy the DLC/sequel that included that feature...

Zelda!! bunny.gif Mario Maker looks like a lot of fun. I would be nice to get Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 options as well. The Wii U would be a perfect outlet for a new Mario Paint game.

^this makes me want to cry. I've done my best to stay away from the Figure Platform Games but with Smash Bros this is going to be hard not to have to get them all.