UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wii U

JeffBohn

So, who is going for a Wii U?

I've been a Nintendo kid almost my whole life, venturing off into the Playstation/PS2 for a little while, but back to Nintendo since my daughter got old enough to play.

I missed out on preorders, didn't realize Amazon proper wasn't going to offer them and I had been saving up Amazon credit. So now I'm on the Gamestop wait list, we'll see how that turns out. Rather wait until that pans out than to either camp in front of a store (not in November in Wisconsin!), and I'm definitely not paying over retail for it.

I had never waited outside/overnight for any game system or game until the Wii was released. I lived a brief walk away from a Target by my apartment complex. It was quite the experience- everyone was polite and offered to hold spot when you had to hit the restroom. Despite being mocked by john q. public, it was a great time--but now my Wii collects dust and I find myself only using it to play the virtual console from time to time.

I like what the Wii U has to offer in terms of a separate system to use when someone else wants to watch tv- but it seems to me like it isn't anything revolutionary or draw droppingly awesome in my opinon like when the Wii arrived. It seems Nintendo was a little late jumping on the 'tablets are the new hotness' bandwagon. Oh well. Looking forward to seeing how the games rate and playing one at a Best Buy or where ever. For now, I'm content with my 360 and iPad.

I also picked up a Wii on release day for my now wife, by waiting in line around 4 am. Was pretty rewarding when she saw that I got one. But I'm passing on this for now. I have gotten back into videogames a bit recently, but I don't always need the newest, fanciest thing. In fact, I will soon receive a pretty awesome Xbox modded to play older games. I'm sure my wife will make me get a Wii-U when Zelda is released for it, though. Really lame that Nintendo seems to do one Zelda per system now (I realize GC technically had 2, but. . .).

I am just a big spoiled baby and am only picking up a Wii U for sport. I waited too long to pull the trigger on pre ordering through gamestop and refused to be wait listed..i checked target, walmart, and toysrus with no luck. Then i randomly stopped into fye, i asked on a whim if they would be taking preorders..and they are. Now, i live in louisville, ky in a fairly populated part of town and i was the first preorder they'd had. So..in short try fye, it may be worth your while.

Well that may work out for you. . .BUT, FYI, I also pre-ordered the Wii I discussed earlier from FYE, and it turns out that they weren't actually taking pre-orders at all after the fact and I was unable to secure one from them. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember being pissed off. The guy who took my pre-order must not have known what he was doing.

I'd love to get the Wii U, I love the tablet and aspects of TVii.

However with a new baby on the way it isn't in the budget. Maybe next year they'll be a cheaper bundle.

Though anyone with the cash and interested should jump, I have a feeling it'll be THE must have gift this year.

Here is my problem with it: The system itself is at minimum bundle $249.99, I have no Wii Motion plus remotes, so at minimum I'll need 2 of those so another maybe $40 IF i can find them used, Plus a game or 2 would be another $100..........just for the bare minimum for me that's a HUGE chunk I just can't afford.

Like Mrs. Dr. K, I'll be picking one up the second it has a new Zelda for me to play. Which will probably be at least a year or two, so hopefully the price will have dropped by then :sweat:

Really lame that Nintendo seems to do one Zelda per system now (I realize GC technically had 2, but. . .).

Well either GC had two or Wii had two, depending on your point of view, and then the other system really only had one yeah. It does feel like the development time's increased. Then again, SNES and original Game Boy only had one each I guess.

Here is my problem with it: The system itself is at minimum bundle $249.99, I have no Wii Motion plus remotes, so at minimum I'll need 2 of those so another maybe $40 IF i can find them used, Plus a game or 2 would be another $100..........just for the bare minimum for me that's a HUGE chunk I just can't afford.

Yep, you get hosed with the accessories you have to buy right out the gate. Then games. Ends up costing $100-150 more if you wanna do much with it right after you buy.

I totally understand the push for streaming tv (netflix, hulu, amazon, etc) but Nintendo still can't add the ability to play a DVD (Blu-ray would be even better) to their gaming system? <_< I'm sure I'll get one eventually but I'm waiting till the price really drops (and we all know it will) and a few more big games (Zelda, Smash Bros, etc) are released.

There's also a few GC gems I hope they have plans on getting converted for the virtual console; Zelda:WW & Super Mario Sunshine to name a few.

Wasn't aware the Wii U was doing VC. So it'll transfer over my games from the Wii then? 'Cause it's the only reason I still keep my Wii. I'm all about 360. Left 4 Dead 1 &2 are my all time favorites. I still get together with friends for multiplayer. Can't say the same for Smash Brothers. Interested in the ZombieU game though- pretty dark for the once kiddie Nintendo...

Totaly ! Ther is WiiU multiplayer games that have:WiiU vs 3DS multiplayer.

Now I just have to save up...Not getting it on launch day though(IM getting a ipod touch ,so not enough money for WiiU.Plus ,I gotta catch up with some minimates)

We were planning on getting Nintendo Land for the family anyway, so the deluxe version is a good deal for us. We've already got the remotes.

Launch day titles are listed... http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/09/wii-u-launch-lineup/

A couple purchases in there, more rentals than purchases for me.

When Smash Bros hits I'll have to consider. I know I'll get it for 3DS but we'll see about the Wii U. Haven't touched my Wii in a while, and after the last Zelda effort, which never grew on me and I still haven't finished (blasphemy right? I know), I think I'm willing to give Nintendo a rest and stick to things I've come to love since.

• 1 month later...

The Gamestop wait list worked well for me, got a call on launch day to come pick up my deluxe system.

Ten days later, I'd say we're still breaking it in. First day was a nightmare of setup and system updates, and daily system freezes have been disappointing.

Nintendo Land has been a hit with the family. Grandma and Grandpa even played Mario Chase with my daughter and her younger cousin.

Super Mario arrived in the mail today, I'll get some time in with that tonight.

At this point, I'm holding off on buying anymore games before a rental trial and Redbox doesn't carry Wii U yet. The first Madden on a system always seems to have some issues, so I'll wait for next year. I'm not much of a FPS shooter player (motion sickness) so I want to rent some of those other games before committing the whole $60 to those.

I like the gamepad, there are a few games in Nintendo Land that can be played entirely on that, those are the games I've been focusing on. Internet browser works good for just general browsing.

Nintendo Network ID is HackSlashInc

I was one of the many 'crazys' that stayed in line overnight on launch day for the Wii- not the Wii U. I was fifth in line and was able to get the system, a second nunchuk, wiimote and Super Monkey Ball.

Time passed and the Wii (after the initial newness wore off)gathers dust. I mainly bought the system for the virtual console as I love older games from my youth- namely the marios and genesis hits like Streets of Rage 2. I was extremely disappointed the VC didn't offer more games- and avoiding others completely- we got Super C, but no Contra. Mario Kart 64, but no Goldeneye. The list goes on. :verymad:

Working in retail I heard about the Wii U long before it showed up online and having the video game buyers here tell me about it from E3. Having read some of the reviews and seeing the new commericals on tv, I'm really not sold on it. I love the idea of being able to transfer a game to the control tablet when someone else wants to watch tv (a brilliant idea for any husband forced to sit thru Dancing with the Stars- oh the things we do for our spouses), but beyond that it's the same thing but with a tablet. It seems to me and from what I read on IGN that more and more kids these days would prefer a tablet/ipad over a gaming system-- and who can blame them? Built in controls, wi-fi, no disks to load...etc. Makes you wonder how the handheld systems are fairing these days? I don't know, I guess I felt let down by the Wii and didn't feel the need to jump into the Wii U 100%. Had Nintendo relased the Wii U instead of the Wii it would have been a very different scenario.

We got the Netflix added last night, that works really smoothly, and I (again) like the ability to switch the show to the gamepad. (I haven't had Netflix in over a year, and previously only had it on the Wii, and this is MUCH MUCH better!)

Holding off on starting New Super Mario Bros Wii U until my daughter and I can start together and go through whatever tutorials and instructions there are.