UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Green Lanterns are getting more diverse.

minimadman

Saw this article about a new Green Lantern but instead of being gay this one is an Arab-American. I guess that DC now stands for Diversity Comics. I wish that everyone would realize that if you want something to not be a big deal (i.e. skin color, religious or ethnic background, sexual orientation, etc.) then stop acting like it is.

I know very little about GL, in fact outside of JLA books and things like Kingdom Come, I have never even read a GL story.

So question for all of you fans: are all of Earth's representatives to the GL corps American? And if so, is there a reason why? A story reason I mean, not that they fear readers will not relate or something.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not looking to provoke anything, I'm just genuinely curious. He is an Arab-American, but why does he specifically have to have anything to do with America at all?

Edited by UK Collector

Probably because the writers and editors are American (I think they mostly are at least) working for an American based company and serving an American driven industry.

When I heard he was Arab I was actually hoping he was a terrorist. Hear me out on this; green lanterns are chosen because they overcome fear, right? I think this suicide bombers, deluded as they are through religious belief, have tons of guts to go through with what they set out to do.

It would have been a cooler story to take this bad guy and show him through the universe and other planets/species that his beliefs are narrow sighted in terms of the bigger picture.

Edited by mrjasontodd

Saw this article about a new Green Lantern but instead of being gay this one is an Arab-American. I guess that DC now stands for Diversity Comics. I wish that everyone would realize that if you want something to not be a big deal (i.e. skin color, religious or ethnic background, sexual orientation, etc.) then stop acting like it is.

Do you mean that we the audience should stop acting like it's a big deal, or the companies? Because I think that the majority of people don't think these things are a big deal. But the companies are going to continue to do stunts like this, unfortunately, as long as they get even a modicum of press attention.

I know very little about GL, in fact outside of JLA books and things like Kingdom Come, I have never even read a GL story.

So question for all of you fans: are all of Earth's representatives to the GL corps American? And if so, is there a reason why? A story reason I mean, not that they fear readers will not relate or something.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not looking to provoke anything, I'm just genuinely curious. He is an Arab-American, but why does he specifically have to have anything to do with America at all?

Yes, they've all been Americans. It makes sense in Hal's case, at least, since his predecessor, Abin Sur, crash-landed in the American Southwest and ordered his ring to bring him the closest possible replacement. Beyond that... yeah, it doesn't make all that much sense that only Americans would be without fear.:confused: But I should point out that Green Lantern does have a history of being a socially-conscious title; it was a big deal when John Stewart was introduced, and of course there's Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams' Green Lantern/Green Arrow stories (overrated though they may be).

I've expressed my thoughts on this before, but to reiterate:

1. Intentional diversity

2. Intentional controversial diversity

3. Carries a pistol

4. As proven above, similarities with terrorists

5. TATTOO. He can't have a tattoo if he's a Muslim (I'm assuming he is, which may make me sound like an ass but come on)

So i have quite a few problems with DC's "creativity" on this one.

Yes, they've all been Americans. It makes sense in Hal's case, at least, since his predecessor, Abin Sur, crash-landed in the American Southwest and ordered his ring to bring him the closest possible replacement. Beyond that... yeah, it doesn't make all that much sense that only Americans would be without fear.:confused: But I should point out that Green Lantern does have a history of being a socially-conscious title; it was a big deal when John Stewart was introduced, and of course there's Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams' Green Lantern/Green Arrow stories (overrated though they may be).

Thanks for confirming. It's not something I'd ever considered before, but they make a big point of this guys nationality, and the question popped into my brain.

......[they] have tons of guts to go through with what they set out to do.

Suicide bombers are gutless ....most of their guts land on the innocent people they kill . 'Suicide' literally means "to kill oneself" ....not everybody surrounding [you].

I'm not overtly religious but suicide is a sin within virtually every religious group (don't trust me trust Google) including most Arabic faiths .

Whether suicide is right or wrong is not for me to say but I'm pretty confident slaying surrounding people whilst you detonate yourself is wrong.....it doesn't display fearlessness it displays psychopathy .

I was going to add that the above is my opinion ..it is...but it is also incontrovertibly accurate.

From what I learned in the my history class Muslims take pride in being a suicide bomber. They kill all their unfaithfull people of this world. This act is called jihad. My teacher who has practiced every religion told us that Muslims feel proud when their child is killed doing the jihad. They have a "party" and celebrate their child's transportation to heaven. We went on a school trip too,whose theme was to learn about muslims and the man there told us the same things. They basically exist in the coran.

Edited by Kostisfire

From what I learned in the my history class Muslims take pride in being a suicide bomber. They kill all their unfaithfull people of this world. This act is called jihad. My teacher who has practiced every religion told us that Muslims feel proud when their child is killed doing the jihad. They have a "party" and celebrate their child's transportation to heaven. We went on a school trip too,whose theme was to learn about muslims and the man there told us the same things. They basically exist in the coran.

That's not true of all Muslims, Kostisfire. The majority of Muslims are decent, devout, peace loving people.

I'm no expert in any religion, but I don't believe there are any specific phrases in the Koran that incite people to blow

themselves up in the name of Islam.

People, can we continue to discuss diversity in Green Lantern, and comics in general, without falling prey to posting generalisations about specific groups of people.

Thank you.

I need to speak with your teacher who needs to study the Koran a tad more.

Good luck with that. The woman believes every ghost story you tell her. Basically we spend all of our first year talking about ghosts and doing zero study. She has told some stories she lived that are on par with the horror films. That reminds of another mrs whose son has tried to kill her 5 times and her daughter tried to hang herself while her other son is a drug addict (and many other things).Which reminds me of another story. I should write a book someday...

That's not true of all Muslims, Kostisfire. The majority of Muslims are decent, devout, peace loving people.

I'm no expert in any religion, but I don't believe there are any specific phrases in the Koran that incite people to blow

themselves up in the name of Islam.

People, can we continue to discuss diversity in Green Lantern, and comics in general, without falling prey to posting generalisations about specific groups of people.

Thank you.

Sorry if it came out wrong. That's what I've been told,I didn't say that everyone wants to be blown up. Only the fanatics do such things. As in every religion fanatism is a sin. For example the fanatic Christians contributed in the destruction of the Parthenon. I'm sorry if it came out wrong.

I need to speak with your teacher who needs to study the Koran a tad more.

Good luck with that. The woman believes every ghost story you tell her. Basically we spend all of our first year talking about ghosts and doing zero study. She has told some stories she lived that are on par with the horror films. That reminds of another mrs whose son has tried to kill her 5 times and her daughter tried to hang herself while her other son is a drug addict (and many other things).Which reminds me of another story. I should write a book someday...

Yooooooooour teacher needs to have her credentials checked. I mean I know Greece is hurting for money, but... Holy hot damn.

Does anyone else find it amusing that he is dressed as Kick-Ass? Or was that just me?

One last thing. From Wikipedia:

According to the authoritative Dictionary of Islam jihad is defined as: "A religious war with those who are unbelievers in the mission of Muhammad ... enjoined especially for the purpose of advancing Islam and repelling evil from Muslims."[1] The prominent British-American orientalist Bernard Lewis argues that in the hadiths and the classical manuals of Islamic law jihad has a military meaning in the large majority of cases.[5] In a commentary of the hadith Sahih Muslim, entitled al-Minhaj, the medieval Islamic scholar Yahya ibn Sharaf al-Nawawi stated that "one of the collective duties of the community as a whole (fard kifaya) is to lodge a valid protest, to solve problems of religion, to have knowledge of Divine Law, to command what is right and forbid wrong conduct".[6] An accurate interpretation of the concept of Jihad is provided by the BBC about how Muslims describe three different types of struggles:[7]

A believer's internal struggle to live out the Muslim faith as well as possible

The struggle to build a good Muslim society

Holy war: the struggle to defend Islam, with force if necessary

It turns out that jihad means to try to be the best person you can and defend your home,religion with violence if you are forced to. The fanatics take it as "kill everyone" when it doesn't mean that. Basically it's like every other religion. Defend your home if you are threatened and try to be the best person you can. And I'm done.

Would anyone be interested in a thread full of real crime stories? They are 100% real and they are pretty dark and scary. I'm thinking of posting one such story every week. Maybe put them in my brickfilms. Would that interest you?

As for my teacher,she needs to be put in an asylum and stay there forever. A friend of my family has such a clinic actually.